Anonymous
Years ago

Martin and Kenny injured

Perth Wildcats point guards Damian Martin and Jarrod Kenny are both set to spend time on the sidelines after suffering injuries in Sunday afternoon's win over Melbourne.

Captain Damian Martin received a heavy knock to the head in the third quarter and x-rays have since revealed a fracture to the left side of his jaw.

Martin will have a plate surgically inserted tonight.

He’s expected to be out for two weeks.

Jarrod Kenny suffered a groin strain, and while further analysis is required, Wildcats medical staff believe he will miss between three and five weeks of basketball.

"While it is highly unfortunate to see two point guards go down with injury in the same game, this unusual situation does provide an opportunity for the rest of the team," said coach Trevor Gleeson.

“We are fortunate enough to have development player Corban Wroe ready to step up. It’s a great chance for him to take on an increased responsibility.

“I’ll also be looking for the rest of the guys to show leadership in the absence of our two floor generals.”

The Perth Wildcats are currently looking at injury replacement player options.

Topic #40139 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wroe did an ok job when Martin was out last season, but we still had Kenny playing. Not sure how I feel about him with both Martin/Kenny out...

Reply #603997 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Oh fuck.

Reply #603998 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

Ricky Grace available?

Reply #603999 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dolla would be a nice combo guard to have right now to run the point in a circumstance like this lol

Reply #604000 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any combo guard would be good right now if only Gleeson had of signed a multi dimensional player oh well at least we have a guy that can shoot 3s but nothing else.

Reply #604002 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

JJ would be handy

Reply #604004 | Report this post

Farrison Hord  
Years ago

Not really. JJ couldn't handle a basketball when someone was playing defense on him.

Reply #604010 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

This is terrible news. Drake UU??

Reply #604012 | Report this post

D4444  
Years ago

If Martin gets any more plates inserted we can start calling him RoboDamo.

Reply #604013 | Report this post

Nonanon  
Years ago

"This is terrible news. Drake UU??"

Correct. Getting Drake back would be terrible news.

Reply #604014 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What aussie PG's are our there at the moment that the cats could sign as injury replacements?

Reply #604017 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Ouch, that's going to be hard to cover. Thank god don't have any double headers over the next few weeks.

Reply #604018 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

Two weeks really means one for Damo.

Reply #604019 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Steve Markovic, Rhys Carter?

There's a list of free agents that haven't been signed as of yet on pickandroll.com.au.

No idea who on the list would be able to fill PG though.

http://pickandroll.com.au/nbl-201516-free-agency-tracker/

Reply #604020 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

One week back after jaw surgery would be totally irresponsible. Esp considering the other issues he's had in that area. Should be a month I reckon.

Reply #604021 | Report this post

leungtl  
Years ago

New plan:

Casey Prather to play the "points guard" role that James Harden will this season.

Reply #604022 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

Monkey Magic Narrator Voice:

"The nature of Damo was irresponsible!"

Reply #604023 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

I was thinking Rhys Carter. He's payed with the Wildcats before

Reply #604025 | Report this post

Nonanon  
Years ago

Pretty sure he's overseas again.

Reply #604026 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

Brad Robbins

Reply #604027 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Please no Rhys carter or Luke Martin .

Just let prather play point guard and play dkd and Ingram more at the 2/3

Reply #604029 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You've heard it here first, Wildcats are going to sign Joel Wagner as an injury replacement for Damo and Jarrod Kenny

Reply #604035 | Report this post

Red74  
Years ago

Is Tre Nichols of Bunbury slammers naturalised?

Reply #604036 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nope not yet, they are also looking at Jackson Hussey from Buccs, but money is on Wagner.

Reply #604038 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Wow, if this squad makes the finals without any PGs for any significant period, they deserve the record for consecutive finals appearances.

Issues are starting to stack up now for a squad that is lucky to have as many wins as they have.

Reply #604039 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

I like Wagner as a replacement

Reply #604040 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Happy to take the Hawks @$2.5

Reply #604043 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wagner??? Bahahahaha, might aswell bring grace out of retirement

Reply #604044 | Report this post

_Strungout_  
Years ago

Should sign Sami Whitcomb, she is naturalised now and the Lynx are under the same organisation. #synergies.

Reply #604045 | Report this post

Green 53  
Years ago

Wagner is useless! Why don't we just stick with wroe for 10-15 minutes a night and use Ingram as well? At least he knows the system already.

Reply #604046 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wags was better than Wroe but probably a bit old for the gig now.

Why not Armour?

Reply #604048 | Report this post

DaHuzyBru  
Years ago

Big Corbs will have to step up. He did alright filling in last season

Reply #604049 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Wroe did ok backing up Kenny. Glad he's still around, and happy to see him get some minutes, but even if he can step up and hold down the starter role, we're still short of backup.

How rigid are the injury replacement rules? Specifically, can you chop and change?
We could bring Walker back on as another body, but that's not going to help the PG situation.

Anyone know who our TPs are at the moment?

If Damo is only out for a short time, we can probably get through this.
Perhaps in the short-term we rotate Prather to the 2, and use Redhage & Hire at the 3.

Anyone know if his wife has given birth yet?

Reply #604052 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Whilst Ingram may be seen as a one-trick pony, the irony is that we are now better off with him, than JJ. JJ was a better all-round player no question, but from the little I've seen Ingram is a better ball-handler.

Reply #604053 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Dolla would be a nice combo guard to have right now to run the point in a circumstance like this lol
Without getting tinto specifics, Dolla was sacked for unprofessional off-court behaviour that directly impacted his performance in some games.
It seems to be a not uncommon theme, with some imports thinking this is some hinky bush-league, where they can get away with stuff they would never dare pull in the USA (if they were hoping for an NBA callup.)
Personally, I hope he has learnt his lesson, thrives at the Bullets,and goes on to a great NBL career.

Reply #604054 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dazz, you should probably read up more on what NBA players get up to off the court.

Reply #604055 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

"Anyone know if his wife has given birth yet?"

Yep she gave birth to a boy on Sunday morning I believe.

Happy with Wroe to start at PG, but he has been prone to fouling in the past so if he gets hurt or into foul trouble.....then what.

Prather looks comfortable bringing the ball, wouldn't be surprised to some minutes for him running point.

Reply #604057 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Dazz, you should probably read up more on what NBA players get up to off the court.
I imagine that like most athletes in premier leagues, once they are in (and worth millions to their teams) they can get away with just about anything. Different matter in they are in the D-League praying for a call-up.
Plus you need to differentiate being behaviour that might be "embarrassing" to the team and that which directly effects their performance.

Who knows, maybe some of the greats are good enough to play with no sleep and a hangover, but if they're that good they probably won't be playing D-League (or NBL.)

Reply #604058 | Report this post

James  
Years ago

To lose 2 of youre best 4 defensive players and the starting backcourt in one hit is a huge blow. I see the Cats struggling from here till they at the very least get Damo back. As for Kenny the guy is one of the most underrated players in the league.

Reply #604059 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Witches hats would be better than wroe.

Reply #604062 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

Kenny most underrated player in the league? LOL

Reply #604064 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wroe? Really? He got towelled up all season in SBL he's a liability in the NBL

Reply #604065 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kenny is definitely one of the most underrated guys in the league. Shame he got injured after his form the last couple of games, hopefully he can pick up where he left off when he's back.

Reply #604068 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Totally agree on Kenny being underrated. How he was overlooked by Breakers is a mystery.

Reply #604069 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Enjoy Perff fans.

Reply #604070 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Witches hats would be better than wroe. Wroe
Really? He got towelled up all season in SBL he's a liability in the NBL.
Enjoy Perff fans.

There's a reason the Wildcats have kept him around for a 2nd season.
Forgive me if I trust the judgement of the most successful team in the NBL, over that of some anonymous troll.

Reply #604073 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Dazz, do you think it's even theoretically possible for anything the Wildcats do to not be the best possible move?

I mean, this wouldn't even have to clear that bar - a good DP is not a good starter - but your inability to comprehend the possibility of the Wildcats not doing everything absolutely perfectly is ridiculous.

Reply #604074 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

If Kenny is going to be out for more than a month, they'll have to source SOMEBODY as a replacement.
All Wroe needs to do is hold up his end for a couple of weeks whilst Damo is out.

Maybe its time we looked for our "Asian" player.???

Reply #604077 | Report this post

Bol Bol  
Years ago

Imagine how much worse their plight would be if they had lost those close games to start the season.

Just give the ball to prather as they did back when Rashad Tucker ran the point with grace out injured.

Reply #604078 | Report this post

Bol Bol  
Years ago

Speaking of Tucker has anyone managed a triple double since the 40 minute game?

Reply #604079 | Report this post

Watto  
Years ago

Does Steve Holt qualify as an Asian? Is he available?

Reply #604080 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

What's Steven Holt doing ?

Reply #604082 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Playing for Zaragoza in Spain.

Reply #604083 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Just give the ball to prather as they did back when Rashad Tucker ran the point with grace out injured.
Because that worked so well back then.

And Tucker was far better suited to playing the point than Prather is.

Speaking of Tucker has anyone managed a triple double since the 40 minute game?
Cedric Jackson's done it a few times. Not sure if there have been others.

Reply #604085 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Holt is playing in Spain.

Wouldn't it be amazing if the Wildcats sign a point guard like Hugh Greenwood...

I think when Markovic went out last season we got to see a young fella called Indiana Faithful, from what I remember he impressed me.... is he available?

Reply #604087 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jarrad weeks was a great fill in PG last year. Any more like him

Reply #604091 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Anyone know what Earnest Ross is up to?
Supposedly he was in good touch for Ballarat in the SEABL this year?

Reply #604094 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Earnest Ross? Seriously?

Reply #604095 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

Lol.

Rumour has it Homicide Williams has put his hand up.

Reply #604097 | Report this post

James  
Years ago

This just illustrates what a tough SOB Damo really is. After that screen by Majok in the 3rd he still played on for majority of the 3rd and the 4th with the injury.Not only that he finished with 13 freaking rebounds and 7 assists and out played Jackson yet again.

Reply #604100 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

I liked Ross, and thought he was unlucky to rupture his Achilles before really getting a shot.
I don't watch the SEABL, but obviously its the best of the lower tier comps, and I HEARD he played really well this year, playing more of a combo guard role.
It's a question of who'se available to fill it, at short notice, especially considering we need 2.
What are our options?
Luke Martin, and somebody from the SBL?

Reply #604106 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Luke Martin?? lol wtf?

Reply #604109 | Report this post

Green 53  
Years ago

Luke Martin is busy throwing rocks at the Lindt cafe. He was terrible last time we had him anyway. We would have to go for carter but I like Jackson Hussey as well

Reply #604120 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SBL 2016 Stats

Wroe - 9.8 PPG, 3.6 RPG, 4.9 APG
Wagner - 12.8 PPG, 3.4 RPG, 5.4 APG
Hussey - 20 PPG, 8.0 RPG, 4.8 APG

Reply #604128 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Green53 get a life. No need for that here.

Reply #604129 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Saw Hussey play a few games in the SBL finals and tore it up. I'd be more than happy to have him come in.

Reply #604130 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

From The West Australian;

"Ace import Casey Prather played as a point-guard during the pre-season and is being considered for a change, while Andre Ingram and Corban Wroe could also fill the role.

State league pair Jackson Hussey and Joel Wagner trained with the team yesterday and Gleeson said he was assessing other options.

"We looked at the State league first, but now we'll cast our net Australia-wide to find out who is out there and are they in shape and are they ready to go," he said.

https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/33009778/perth-wildcats-on-prowl-to-replace-damian-martin-jarrod-kenny/#page1

Reply #604138 | Report this post

Perth fan  
Years ago

Andre Ingram now gone!

Reply #604140 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

One thing to keep in mind is Prather's injuries.

Last game he had a heap of shin physio done and the game before looked like he had calf issues.

Reply #604214 | Report this post

Andrew  
Years ago

Martin & Kenny will be replaced by Wroe & Hussey and Play on Friday. JJ may be re-activated to replace Ingram.

Reply #604238 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

..Until they sign a proper import combo guard.

Reply #604239 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hussey looks like a worthwhile prospect.

Reply #604240 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hussey is better than Wroe - just too old for DP

Reply #604278 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Good to see a local get an opportunity.

For a DP I thought Wroe looked ok last year. Haven't seen much so far this year.
From the little I have seen, he looked like he might develop in a Brad Robbins type bench player. Not sure I'd be too comfortable with him shouldering too much of the PG responsibilities.

Hopefully Hussey adds another option.

Still wondering who'll they'll chase as the other injury replacement, plus now of course another import.

Reply #604284 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:03 pm, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754