Anonymous
Years ago

Are Cairns title contenders?

I can't believe I'm saying this but they appear to have all the pieces. Their offense looks like a well oiled machine today and picked the Hawks apart. We know fearne teams are always strong on D. Jawai was incredibly tough to handle and makes all their role players jobs so much easier. Trice is also looking a legitimate star.

Cairns is also pretty deep. They look good! This upcoming match against the "daylight" kings will be very interesting!

Topic #40171 | Report this topic

Train  
Years ago

I liked Cairns during the pre season. When their offence is clicking and they are knocking down the 3 they look very impressive. They have all the pieces to be successful this year. Time will tell I guess.

Reply #604912 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

They do look good without Loughton playing.

Reply #604914 | Report this post

lawsy  
Years ago

Ummm- how will they beat the kings?

Reply #604916 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No

Reply #604920 | Report this post

greybuoy  
Years ago

2 of 5, with some impressive game leads surrendered late: surely they are the team doing the most with the teast?

Reply #604927 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

They look a serious top 4 chance. They do have a good mix of pieces. If you get top 4, anything can happen from there.

I want to see them play Brisbane, cos they are a similar team. If both teams are around the mark it could be a crucial matchup in terms of head to head as well.

Reply #604928 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Jawai and Trice are keys to their chances though. Both are looking good right now.

Reply #604929 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No. Not even remotely.

Reply #604935 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does anyone else think of Obie Trice and Eminem when they hear the name Trice?

Reply #604936 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Maybe
http://www.hoops.com.au/forum/39716-jawai-finger-surgery-will-miss-nbl-pre-season/#p593279

Reply #604939 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes I do think of Obie as his nickname, its an Aussie thing to do. I just think trice and jawai appear to be looking better and better. They started the season unfit remember. It's amazing how much better your role players look when the stars are performing at a high level. Whether jawai can stay fit of course is a big question and trice also picked up a heavy knock today. But tell me which team has a better PG/C combo and then you have quality role players and depth. I think I've talked myself into putting a bet on them

Reply #604940 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth have a better PG/combo
Melbourne
Sydney
Illawarra if Clarke pulls his finger out

Reply #604947 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

Good chance of making the finals, but with a couple of serious ifs:
- If Jawai stays fit
- If Trice keeps something like his current form
- If Wortho and Loughton can find their range and hit some 3s at a decent clip (Wortho in particular worries me.. when he has a bad day he really seems to cause problems)
- If Stephen Weigh is kept as far away from the court as possible

Really liked what I saw from Weeks and Heur today though.

Reply #604950 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

The don't have Teys as a starter....they must be good!

Reply #604953 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Watching jawai today you appreciate how good he is. He made Ogilvy and holyfield look like wimps in there just moving them as he pleased so he could get deep position. Then when you double him he finds open players who can hurt you. Gliddon Edwin mccarron all did well off ball rotations.

Reply #604955 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

I can't believe I'm saying this
You're not the only one.

If you want to talk about Cairns, great, but to answer the question you pose: No, not even close.

Any contender will need to get past Sydney, but that said there are a few teams that could take it up to them on the day. Cairns however would be doing extremely well just to make the final 4.

The problem you'll have is trying to keep Jawai fit all season.

Reply #604959 | Report this post

Nonanon  
Years ago

I love how people are so quick to predict that some teams are title/wooden spoon favourites after any one random game.

Reply #604978 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

@Anonymous #604947:

"Perth have a better PG/combo
Melbourne
Sydney
Illawarra if Clarke pulls his finger out"

Perth have a better PG/combo: do you mean Knight is the combo? Martin may be a better defender than Trice, there's no doubt that Trice wins hands down as a scorer. Knight over Jawai? No way.

Melbourne? Are you kidding? Jackson/Majok???

Sydney has umm.. is it Blake? Lisch? Cadee? Which one is the PG you are referring to in this post? ... and Maric? Better than Jawai? How?

Reply #604980 | Report this post

GordonG  
Years ago

We're either going to finish on top, on the bottom, or somewhere in between. That's all I'm prepared to predict :)

Reply #604984 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

They have Sydney twice this week

Is a 2-5 team a title contender?

Reply #605001 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'll bump this thread when cairns beat Sydney to confirm they are indeed the real deal

Reply #605007 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

If Lisch isn't playing, Cairns are a very good chance of stealing one of the two.

Reply #605011 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Also depends if Trice will play, too.

So many injuries this season.

Reply #605012 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

Hoops.com.au - home of the scorching hot takes!!

Reply #605032 | Report this post

Old Mate  
Years ago

Sh&)(;t no

Reply #605521 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Leicester City and Western Bulldogs say hello.

Reply #605535 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I'll bump this thread when cairns beat Sydney to confirm they are indeed the real deal"

As promised, bump bump bump.

For the cairns haters out there you better recognise this team is legit

Reply #605971 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:09 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754