LC
Years ago

Australia launches bid for 2023 FIBA World Cup

Australia will launch a bid for the 2023 FIBA World Cup for men, hoping the recent popularity boom of the sport will help get them over the line.

The Pick and Roll's Damian Arsenis first reported Australia’s interest in the bid in June, and has been confirmed by Roy Ward of Fairfax Media.

Australia launches bid for 2023 FIBA World Cup

Still a long way to go, but a step in the right direction.

Topic #40172 | Report this topic

Zodiac  
Years ago

Australia then daylight

Reply #604943 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

Lol

Reply #604954 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Didn't we bid for the women's world's for 2014 and get beaten out by Turkey?

Talking up the Asian timezone sort of implicitly talks down the suitability for European and American audiences. Seeing the 2019 WC is in this tv timezone (China) I can't see FIBA putting another in the same one so soon after.

I really like this line, would be good for someone to qualify it, possibly not P&R seeing as they came to this conclusion:

"Moore started at the head position of Basketball Australia in 2014, and major progress of the sport has been seen under his watch."

Moore' doesn't get discussed in the way Derwin or Keneally did, it would be good for an independent piece on the "state of the nation" for Basketball Australia.

Reply #604956 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

BA incompetence vs Advantages Australia has a sporting nation

Reply #604971 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Firstly, I would love it if we could host, as I am sure everyone here and in NZ would, but I too am concerned about our chances.

'Australia will go against rival bids from the Philippines, Germany, Qatar, Argentina and Turkey.'

also this...

'The potential that Australia would share the event with New Zealand is a real possibility, something Moore mentioned in June.'

Reading into the article, we need to show cohesion and suitability for hosting such an event ahead of those other bidders.

I also see that the time zone will work against us, always does, however it may be seen that an AUS/NZ bid comes from Oceania, not Asia, so maybe we can get past that hurdle perhaps!

It is a worry that we will be presenting a joint bid, not because it is with NZ, no issues there but if we are not displaying a 100% joint bid and there is any questions on how we will work it out between the two countries, that may be ab issue going forward against the other bidders.

When is the last time South America hosted, they could be our biggest competitors (Argentina) solely based on the fact the Olympics were recently held there and FIBA may want to cash in on the hype...

I hope we can put in a strong bid, we deserve the chance to host for sure, but that is how we see it and perhaps not how FIBA sees it?

Reply #604983 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:51 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754