Anonymous
Years ago

Team structure for future 36ers teams

With some great players coming through the college system, there will be quite a few talent players becoming free agents next season. What is your ideal Adelaide 36ers team look like next year ? Go.

Topic #40196 | Report this topic

koberulz  
Years ago

It's early November, dude.

Reply #605404 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anything that is better than this year.

Reply #605406 | Report this post

Captain Jack  
Years ago

Id like to see us add a big man and a longer, athletic guard who can handle the ball, make plays for others, defend. I.e Daniel Dillon, in dream world its Joe Ingles

Something like

Ibekwe/Hodgson
Johnson/Jacobsen/Deng
Creek/Drmic
Sobey/Dillon/Teys
Randle/(Dillon plays back up pg)

Reply #605413 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Koberulz, isnt comfortable with this being discussed, so everyone fall in line. Id prefer a more veteran based roster. With the way they have decided to IMO stupidly pay their young inexperienced guys, this will have to come from an import source. Also just some genuine talent, to cover Joey Wright's general lack of coaching ability of a young team.

Reply #605436 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

Why would you have Teys in your ideal roster?
No one else would pick him up...guaranteed!!!!

Reply #605439 | Report this post

Baller#3  
Years ago

Is it a dream world that we get ingles next year? Just had kids, back end of a two year deal. Can easily see him moving back to the NBL if he doesn't get another NBA gig. And he has said the 6ers would be the only one he would be interested in playing for. It's a matter of when not if.

Reply #605445 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Not hear to beat up on Adelaide, they are one franchise I have a huge amount of respect for.
But I think the first issue you need to look at is Joey.
He inherited a team and took it to a GF. So he's clearly a decent coach, and a big improvement on his predecessor.
However, over the next few years, as players came out of contract, he got the opportunity to shape the team he wanted.
And it has gone backwards. WTF?
IMHO that's the first question you need to answer.

Teams can have good and bad patches, and a game here or there can change your fortunes. But IMHO this has been a steady progression backwards.

The NBL is pretty much open slather, and you can change-out your entire squad in 2~3 years max. So there's really no point in going nuts trying to develop youth.
Joey telegraphed his bargain-basement strategy for the remaining imports, after re-signing Randle, but it still leaves me scratching my head.
Ferguson I know has been debated to death, but I still don't get it.

I don't know what anyone is getting paid, but posters seem to speculate that some of these youngsters are getting paid well, which just leaves me puzzled.
Obviously there's a place for young, emerging talent. They're cheap and can play some useful minutes off the bench. But Joey seems to have stacked his team.

This may be grossly over-simplifying things, but it seems to me that Joey would make a great College coach? Like it or not, the NBL is a relatively tough defensive league. The Cats have made their way to 4 of the last 5 GFs, mostly by grinding their opponents down. Too many of his players just aren't up to the bump & grind.

Reply #605446 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Joey Wright is absolutely shite at coaching. Managing star power perhaps, but when genuine coaching is required he is not tactically up to it. He talks the talk and has kept himself employed but agree with Dazz, the 36ers have regressed under his reign, as the stars have left etc sooner he is gone the better. Adelaide need a new voice, ironically he has negotiated the players deals to the point they now can't afford to pay him out haha

Reply #605447 | Report this post

Manu Feildel  
Years ago

People can talk about what they want to talk about, Koberulz. What gives you the right to disparage anotger for their thoughts on a basketball discussion point?

Reply #605449 | Report this post

Manu Feildel  
Years ago

Dan Dillon would be perfect under Joey, with the full-court D and uptempo O

Reply #605451 | Report this post

I'm all for looking forward and discussing whatever, but in Koberulz' defence though, it's pretty funny to start talking about next season after just 4 rounds, and as an outsider, it's something you can probably set a clock by... 36ers losing a few games and fans writing off this season and looking towards the next one...

Reply #605456 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah because as an insider it's clear the season is shot. Fans here getting very sick of making up the numbers with the same old line of the team is broke when they are simply not spending their money the right way to start with is all.

Reply #605460 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

IMHO that's the first question you need to answer.

Lack of resources in the Sixers organisation perhaps?

Reply #605461 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Joey's not going anywhere 2 years left on his deal after this season. Contractually I wouldn't expect too many changes next season.

Free-agents after this season - Randle, Ferguson, Jacobsen, Hodgson, Doyle.

Under contract for next season - Johnson, Creek, Sobey, Deng, Drmic, Teys

Reply #605463 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

Lack of resources may have quite a bit to do with it; that doesn't mean you can't recruit in a more sensible fashion. Dazz is right when he says a team can be turned over in 2-3 years, and hence there is no point in pursuing the type of youth policy the 36ers have gone for this year.

I've always said Joey is a crap coach, and I stand by it. I think in this case, it's monumentally stupid of the 36ers to allow him to build a team his way, if this is the way they want to do it. Who on earth would conceive of a team with one 28 year old, and no-one else over the age of 25?

Reply #605464 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

It is conceivable that Ferguson is the only person to not return though. So there is merit to the idea of developing a side and getting reward down the track. There's obviously a risk of Euro calling or other clubs with more resources.

But if we go for a few more mature players, who do we go for? Would they be any good?

If you can't afford reasonable mature talent, why bother with crappy mature talent? At least there is some potential for the future this way.

Not much point pathing an alternative predicted on resources which the 36ers realistically don't have.

Out of interest, has Joey ever actually proven to be a bad coach?

He's had some pretty decent success, if that's attributed to resources/stacked sides, well, you can only beat what's in front of you right? We're 3-3 sitting in 4th with an extremely young and currently undermanned side. It's pretty hard to knock that.

Reply #605465 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

predicated*

Reply #605466 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

pathing?

Reply #605467 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sobey has a player option for next season I heard. I wonder if that's the same for Drmic? or even Deng for that matter, as there was out clause talk when Drmic and Deng signed.

Reply #605469 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Sometimes teams don't bother to mention option years but I remember when Sobey signed with us prior to the start of last season it was announced as a 3 year deal.

I was surprised it took a 3 year deal to get him to come here as he was pretty much a development player at Cairns. If he does have an option good on him having a big year in his contract year.

Pretty sure Deng signed for 3 years and Drmic 2 years.

Reply #605472 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

What's the question Freethrows

Reply #605475 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

KET, you wrote (and I've adjusted for predicated):
"Not much point pathing an alternative predicated on resources which the 36ers realistically don't have."

What does pathing mean?

Reply #605477 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Out of interest had Joey ever proven to be a good coach when he doesn't inherit a team or coaches a team that has a stacked side based on the owner using someone elses money?

Reply #605488 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon, stop hijacking the thread with your lame propoganda! You got and ideal list or what?

Reply #605501 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Freethrows - To clarify: The hypothetical alternative of a 36ers side with more mature players is fanciful if we can't actually afford more mature players.

Has it been considered that if we went down the path of signing a few more *available* veteran players *within our price range* that they may have been scouted as being less capable than out of college players?

Most of the competition have more money (Perth, Melbourne, Sydney, NZ) and/or more favourable locations (Brisbane) and/or players already settled/history (Hawks, Cairns).

Prying players away isn't easy.

--

Anon #605488 - So is Phil Jackson a bad coach because he never won an NBA championship without Jordan or Kobe? You haven't provided any reason for Joey to be considered a bad coach except for 'he inherits good rosters'.

Breaking News: That's not a reason for someone to be considered a bad coach.

I think it's a fair to question more reason to why people don't like Joey's coaching than a 'just cuz' - let's see some reasoning. He has plenty of playoff experience and a championship so there's a definite onus for some sort of even semi-reasoning.

Reply #605511 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Who on earth would conceive of a team with one 28 year old, and no-one else over the age of 25?
Randle is 29, DJ is 28. Sobey, Teys, and Hodgson are all 26.

Reply #605513 | Report this post

Old Mate  
Years ago

Where Is Crusty juggler ?????
need his verbal diarrhoea for this thread

Reply #605518 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"The NBL is pretty much open slather, and you can change-out your entire squad in 2~3 years max. So there's really no point in going nuts trying to develop youth."

NZ developed Vukona, Abercrombie, Webster and Pledger and that's worked pretty well for them. They're now onto their next crop.

Perth signed Martin and Knight at 25, Hire and Wagstaff at 23 and those guys have been the cornerstones of their franchise.

I would say there is every reason to develop younger players if you intend on being successful long term.

Reply #605531 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

"Perth signed Martin and Knight at 25, Hire and Wagstaff at 23 and those guys have been the cornerstones of their franchise."

They may have hung around but it's always the imports that make or break Perth.

Reply #605534 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

Perth's success has been predicated upon a balance of player experience (along with some of the very best imports,) whereas Adelaide's squad is almost all inexperienced.

Reply #605548 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Not really, they were quality for a number of years with only one import for much of that time and a relatively young Aussie contingent.

Reply #605550 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:26 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754