Jumpshot
Years ago

Kings vs Cairns 5/11/2016

Cairns starting to click and will be tough at home. Cairns to win by 10.

Topic #40211 | Report this topic

lawsy  
Years ago

Lol cairns by 10? No trice? How did you come to the conclusion that cairns will beat the most stacked roster in the history of the Nbl by 10?? If kings don't win by 16, I'd be surprised

Reply #605841 | Report this post

Jumpshot  
Years ago

?No Trice. I thought he was playing. Is it still the elbow?

Reply #605842 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Maybe the fact that CNS are the only undefeated team at home this season has something to do with it.

Though a 10 point margin might be a bit ambitious...

Reply #605843 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

I've gone with Cairns for this game. Even without Trice, Cairns at home are a tough unit. Kings aren't invincible and this will be a huge test for them.

Reply #605844 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Looking after the ball will be the biggest problem for Cairns. Without Trice they will not be attacking the hoop off the dribble so it puts all the pressure on Jawai's inside game and their 3 point shooting and this is always a question mark even for the best of teams.
Cannot see the Kings having trouble putting 80 points on the board but it is hard to see Cairns putting up 81. Somebody or team would have to get hot from downtown.
Upset chance maybe at home but I expect the Kings juggernaut to keep rolling. Go the underdog!

Reply #605848 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bit early to be drunk posting, lawsy. Most stacked roster in the history of the NBL? It's not even the most stacked roster in the league this season!

Reply #605854 | Report this post

lawsy  
Years ago

More stacked roster? Name it in full please

Reply #605857 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Assuming Blake and Powell settle as quality players (which I think they will) it has to be close.

Big man rotation of Powell, Maric and Khazzouh, forwards of Newley, Whittington and Garlepp, guards of Lisch, Cadee and Blake. Not only does it have star power it's got very good depth too.

I'm struggling to think of one with a better mix of depth and top-end talent.

Reply #605860 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cam Gliddon is a real good 2 and a steady presence and I'm tipping he engineers an upset win here.

Reply #605862 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Is Trice definitely out?

Reply #605863 | Report this post

Keen observer  
Years ago

Cairns Taipans twitter is reporting Trice is out for both games v Sydney.

Reply #605864 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

That's a shame, he's balling at the moment. Taipans will put up a fight but my money would be on the Kings now.

Reply #605865 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bringing in two guys off the bench with significant NBA experience who still can ball trumps any other lineup in NBL history. Name any other lineup, 1 through 10, in the history of the league, that has ever started 3 Olympians including the reigning MVP and then brought 2 NBA players off the bench? Not to mention a third quality import, a rising star at guard and still has a franchise centre to come in? You can't. Never happened before. Doesn't mean the Kings will win it all, but historically we've never seen anything like this. The third import slot, the soft cap and AEG Ogden have produced this.

Reply #605866 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Is Lisch playing?

If he is then unfortunately Cairns have no chance minus Trice.

Even without Lisch, Kings should win. Trice is vital to Cairns offensively.

Shame, since it will kill the momentum they developed with two good performances last week.

Reply #605867 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Maybe the fact that CNS are the only undefeated team at home this season has something to do with it.
So basically you're picking them because they won a game once?

And remind me again which home game Perth lost?

Reply #605869 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Yes, I believe you're right, Perth are undefeated at home too. I was relying on the NBL website for facts and it still seems to think Perth lost to NZ 57-58 in Round 2 in Perth.

Reply #605875 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Tricky game for the Kings. Top of the table and cock a hoop of confidence. Cairns with really not much to lose could really go for gold.

Head says that Sydney should get this one easy and then in a stats padding exercise clear the bench for junk time. Heart says Cairns and the heat might play a role with the Kings. Cairns need a hero to step up and bag 20.

I think the Kings have got this one sewn up with with plenty of time for a reef cruise tomorrow as their recovery session

Reply #605877 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kings $1.72 Snakes $2.15

Reply #605882 | Report this post

Duke Fan  
Years ago

Maric & Powell with 10 fouls between them should take care of Jawai. With Trice out the Kings look to have all other areas covered. Kings by 8-10

Reply #605896 | Report this post

Keen observer  
Years ago

@ LV, Lisch is confirmed as playing. Everything points to a Sydney win, but I believe Cairns will be very competitive at worst in this one.

Reply #605898 | Report this post

Andy  
Years ago

Kings by 11+, that's what my betting slip says anyway.

Reply #605900 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

I think its a game where Cairns will get the W only if Kings stuff up big time, probably either turnover extravaganza or they start chucking bricks trying to build a new stadium for the snakes. Otherwise, I don't think a couple of Taipans having career nights are going to be enough.

Pity if Trice is indeed out. I was looking forward to see how he's going to handle the tandem of Lisch and Blake for 30+ mins. Also wishing that Gaze will give Jeromie a bit more playing time in this one. It'd be great if he can pull off similar performance to the first game vs. the Bullets in front of his family, though he may get booed.

Reply #605901 | Report this post

James Harvey fan  
Years ago

Trigger bringing the aboslute fire in commentary! So many good calls!

Reply #605905 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Cairns doing the job. Make it ugly, low scoring and they have a chance. Gaze body language say it all.

Reply #605906 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Cairns are just plain outworking the Kings at the moment on both ends.

And agree on Trigger on the commentary. I think this is the first time I've heard him, he's a natural.

Reply #605907 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

lol @ Tommy kicking Weigh's shoe out of bounds.

Reply #605908 | Report this post

James Harvey fan  
Years ago

Geez that was a funny sequence with Weigh's shoe coming off and the poor bloke having to defend in one sock

Reply #605909 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

This game's got it all so far !!! Love the shoe kickout by Garlepp :)

Reply #605910 | Report this post

James Harvey fan  
Years ago

Prewster has officially joined the Kings roster.

Reply #605911 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Trash behaviour from Garlepp. So unnecessary. No wonder he finds himself at the end of the bench

Reply #605912 | Report this post

James Harvey fan  
Years ago

Cairns just dominating the boards, that's the story of the game so far.

Reply #605913 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Cam Tregarth fantastic commentary. That's exactly the problem for Cairns... only up 5 with Kings playing so poorly.

Reply #605914 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Yeah, I have no idea how we're not down by 15-20 right now.

Reply #605915 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Cairns really smashing Cadee around on their screens.

Reply #605917 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

Why does the NBL continue to give Toni Caldwell games? She has no feel for the game and has players, coaches and the fans confused on most of her calls.

Reply #605918 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Hmm brick city and turnover party by the Kings and still only down by 5. Gaze wasn't jumping up and down tearing his hair out. Knowing how emotional he normally is, this stinks a bit of him toying with the Taipans to make it look like a close game.

Reply #605920 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

There's no way in hell they are toying with the Taipans. The Taipans are just playing better and have made some smart adjustments - the Newley post-up has been money so far when we've needed a basket, but Cairns are throwing the double at him straight away. Their also taking away the penetration on our pick and rolls, and all we're doing at the moment is chucking up 3s in the halfcourt.

Reply #605921 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

21 bench points for Cairns to Sydney's 4 too, youch.

Reply #605922 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Best I've seen Edwin play by far.

Reply #605923 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

War. This is war.

Reply #605924 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

kings couldn't care less about this, grats cairns

Reply #605925 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

We had Whittington on the bench way too long there.

Reply #605928 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

You just expect Kings to find the next gear. Hasn't happened yet

Reply #605929 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

How many offensive fouls on kings?

Reply #605930 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Feels like 1000.

Reply #605931 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

6 point deficit feels like 20 tonight.

Reply #605933 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Beastpan Tropical Kings beating the Kings by grinding it out and hustling. They are very strong defensively

Lisch also bringimg the Heat. set for great finish

Reply #605934 | Report this post

Tempo  
Years ago

So let me get this straight

Taipans missing there BEST player, Sydney getting there BEST player and MVP of the league back...YET, all the money before the game was on the Taipans.

And the Kings turn up like this.

And people claim officials and players dont bet on games.

Right, and Santa Claus is real

Reply #605935 | Report this post

Tempo  
Years ago

Dont think the NBL is IMMUNE from officials and players betting on games....
NO PRO SPORT IS

Reply #605936 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Tempo, I'm a Kings fan and even I won't claim officials cost us this game (as Weeks drives down the middle of the key for a slam).

Reply #605937 | Report this post

James Harvey fan  
Years ago

Match fixing? Please. Taipans deserve the W here. Less talented side than the Kings but have outhustled them big time.

Reply #605938 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

" Kings then daylight " pffffftttt

Reply #605939 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Weeks just put a lid on it.

Fantastic effort tonight. Cairns will win plenty of games like this

Reply #605940 | Report this post

Tempo  
Years ago

Name me 1 RATIONAL for all the money and RAGE on the Taipans BEFORE the game...Just 1..

Taipans missing their BEST player and the Kings get back the leagues MVP.

Name me 1 rational reason.

Reply #605941 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Kings then daylight, with a healthy Khazzouh, by the end of the season? Absolutely. They're still on top even though they lost

I've bet big on Cairns too. My prediction- serious chance this is the GF preview. With every passing game and Melbourne's injuries making them getting home court less likely, that becomes a stronger possibility

Reply #605942 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Still won't be "Kings then daylight"

Reply #605943 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Hats off to Cairns, great game plan by Fearnsy, took away everything Sydney have been doing since the win streak begun.

Reply #605944 | Report this post

_Strungout_  
Years ago

Tempo, its awesome that you lost a bet and then claim match fixing.

Summary;

Cairns are tough to beat at home.

Kings are overrated and will have many games like this on the road.

You're an idiot.

If you think a bunch of players making 6 figures + have organised as a group to throw a game to make less then what they would get paid to play the game and risk jail, then my previous point speaks for itself.

Reply #605945 | Report this post

James Harvey fan  
Years ago

Blake has really yet to find his feet with the Kings. Lot of twists and turns to come in this season.

Reply #605947 | Report this post

James Harvey fan  
Years ago

I Agree with strung out. Cairns are just a good home side, something like 13-3 over the last 2 seasons. Last year they were 11-3 at home and 1-13 on the road, they're a totally different beast on their home territory.

Reply #605948 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

For as "stacked" as Sydney is, are they missing an explosive guard who can consistently get to the rim? I'm not sure if any of the guards in their rotation (Cadee, Lisch, Blake) have that ability. NZ have a similar problem with their guard rotation of Woodside, Penney and Webster.

Reply #605949 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

Lol, was entertaining. Gazey is a champion in defeat.

DD is a flog

Gleeson is a flog (I'll continue with this in the other thread!)

Reply #605950 | Report this post

cavolo  
Years ago

Tempo, loving Kings 5/23 from 3pt land and 33% shooting overall...

So if Cairns beat the Kings and 36ers beat Cairns who played with Trice and Loughton, does that mean 36ers are better than Kings!?! :P

Just settle down mate after 5-6 games. Kings will lose their share.

Match fixing!? Your rational reason is human beings playing a sport with a gazillion variables against an opposition trying to beat them, which they did...

Reply #605952 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Incredible discipline by Cairns tonight, they executed that plan like it was a playoff game.

Reality is for all the focus on Sydney's stars their win streak has been built on their pressure defence forcing turnovers, and tonight Cairns starved them of oxygen of both TOs and d-boards.

Loved some of the counters they ran to exploit the Kings being up in the passing lanes, impressive stuff.

Looking forward to Monday night, if Cairns can pinch that they'll only be a 1/2 game behind Sydney. Ridiculous.

Reply #605954 | Report this post

Nix77  
Years ago

LOL @ tempo what a moron

Reply #605955 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Some of the calls were dubious but nothing out of the ordinary. The refs were quite consistent with the odd calls here and there. If you're going to suspect match fixing it'd be the Kings you'd point the finger at.

Gaze was uncharacteristically quiet. The calls in the huddle were somewhat muted, he wasn't tapping his fingers or markers on the board as hard as he normally did. I found it odd that he didn't run more Isos and multi screens to draw fouls. They have enough talent that can draw fouls constantly if they run the right plays.

Also found it odd that players were jacking up 3 pointers from the parking lot while the Snakes packed the paint. Cadee hit one from Brisbane in the 3rd quarter I think. It was ridiculous :)

Reply #605956 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What is a RATIONAL? in this context.
Some dweeb who is venting because their bet lost and they CAN'T SPELL nor understand the QUEEN'S ENGLISH.
I must say I did see Weigh travel about 7 times in the 3rd with about 1:20 to go. How was that missed?

Reply #605958 | Report this post

Tempo  
Years ago

My bad...

NBL players and officials are morally PERFECT human beings..

My apologies for being stupid.

Reply #605960 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

You're forgiven.

Reply #605961 | Report this post

AussiePride  
Years ago

Conspiracy theories starting to emerge from the Climate Change and Vaccination Skeptic crowd.

What do you think is more likely?

1. The Kings had a bad game and Cairns did as they normally do and win at home
Or
2. Most of the players and/or officials tonight were asked and/or bribed to arrange a result. Not one of them will ever talk to the press that the result of a game of professional basketball was arranged.

Reply #605967 | Report this post

Nix77  
Years ago

Get out Aussie Pride, the illuminati have sent you from Roswell to convince us there is no cover up. I see through you.

Reply #605973 | Report this post

_Strungout_  
Years ago

Perhaps the Kings lost because of Chemtrails, Tower 7 and a massive match fixing conspiracy going all the way to the top of Australia's sport integrity divisions.

Reply #605979 | Report this post

FreeThrows  
Years ago

Great defensive game by both teams. Better coached team won the game.

Maric was hilarious. Powell and Blake too old and were run off their feet. Garlepp is a thug who thinks he's Kobe Bryant, wants to hog the ball on every possession.

Sydney looks like they're still a player short. Oh, wait, they only have 10 on their roster, as I pointed out to Drewey Gaze.

Wortho, Edwin and Egg were all great for Cairns. Gliddon, Weeks and McCarron did a great job of looking after the ball. Jawai had a great last quarter, in spite of my friend in the yellow shirt demanding Fearne put our imports on.

I'm super glad to see the Kings lose, even if it took the referees betting on the game!!! Hopefully now Kings fans will now realise their team is not all conquering.

Reply #605981 | Report this post

lawsy  
Years ago

We needed that loss.. If we don't best cairns by 20 on Monday, I'll be shocked, bemused and dissapointed. There's not one player on the roster of cairns that would make this kings team- lets keep it real

Reply #606011 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

That could be it!! Kings were complacent maybe even arrogant and just waited for Cairns to roll over.
Got to play hard esp if the game, crowd refs are not going your way and I did not see that in the Kings or their coaching staff tonight.
Well done Cairns...deserved it. The big guy Egwu, typified their effort and their whole team rallied. Great for their fans and for the league, Attitude does pay off sometimes.

Reply #606021 | Report this post

FreeThrows  
Years ago

You're already surprised by the fact the Kings didn't win this one by 16, lawsy.

I'll be happy for you to be shocked, bemused and disappointed on Monday when Sydney don't win by 20.

I don't often say this: lawsy, you're an idiot.

Reply #606026 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think it's a coincidence that the Taipans have gone 3-0 since Alex Loughton got injured.

Reply #606092 | Report this post

MK  
Years ago

A lot of moronic Kings losers on here. Makes seeing them get bitten even sweeter. Hahah kings by 16.

Reply #606144 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

That was one of the best executed defensive games I have seen for years, absolute dogfight from beginning to end, hats off to Fearne and co.

Crowd was firing on all cylinders and it is now official....Cairns Convention Centre Secured!!

Reply #606223 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:49 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754