Dazz
Years ago

No-Time McKay?

Firstly, whoever decided this guy could replace Jawai, and/or play as a centre, should be sacked. He makes Deandre Daniels look like a solid inside presence.

I like him, I like his attitude, and I love a lot of the stuff he does. His rebounding and blocks are awesome (yeah, sound's like I'm talking about DD again.)

Maybe it's just me? But surely with the way the game is now played, we need another decent post player to partner Knight? McKay is just to skinny to go toe to toe with the big 4's & 5's.

It's not like he has range either. Honestly, I think Knight has better range, and that's a problem.

I say "no-time", because whilst we obviously have to give him time to adapt to the league and his new team, how MUCH time does he get?

Or are we just so embarrassed by the JJ fiasco, that he gets a pass?

Topic #40218 | Report this topic

Train  
Years ago

I don't think he was suppose to be "another Jawai". He does his job which is to block/change shots and get rebounds. 7 points and 10 reb (6 of those O-boards) is a pretty good output for 19minutes.

He's not there to be a scorer, they run bugger all plays for him. Dunno bout that nickname "Showtime" though...still yet to see him live up to that name.

Reply #606104 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How much you drink tonight dazz?

'McKay has been consistent and hustled hard. He's not built like a great front court player. But he's a work horse.

Reply #606106 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Obviously he wasn't meant to be another Jawai, but like it or not, that's who he replaced.
Clearly they wanted a more "athletic" type player, and to play a different type of role, and I have no problem with that.

DD averaged 14.8 points, 7.7 rebounds, 1.2 assists and 1.1 blocks, led the league in rebounding, and yet people still rubbish his time with the Cats.
Yes, "Show-Time" is leading the league in blocks (2.17), but he's only averaging 10.8 points, and 6.8 boards. (and his average points is still being skewed by one standout game.)

I'm not convinced that we have the luxury of saying "his job isn't to score," and even if we can, it not like he's a defensive weapon either.

Reply #606121 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

His Twitter account sucks

Reply #606122 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

How many minutes is he averaging though ? I agree with you that he isn't the greatest player at present but his averages aren't far off what Jawai's were IIRC. Not sure what Perth we're hoping for with him though. Were they after a superstar or just a role player? Personally I would of much preferred Ibekwe or even Charles Jackson.

Reply #606128 | Report this post

Mike  
Years ago

This dude played NBA Summer League for my Pels

I'm not sure what my point is

Reply #606131 | Report this post

Mike  
Years ago

'How many minutes is he averaging though ? I agree with you that he isn't the greatest player at present but his averages aren't far off what Jawai's were IIRC. Not sure what Perth we're hoping for with him though. Were they after a superstar or just a role player? Personally I would of much preferred Ibekwe or even Charles Jackson.'

I would have too

Ibekwe would have been great

Reply #606132 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

McKay is doing fine. I think he's a nice complement to Knight and if the wildcats want to use a beefier centre that's Brandt's role.

Reply #606150 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Dazz strikes again.

McKay has made his name from defense and energy. Gleeson never exoected McKay to score from the low post like Jawai did.

Blame Gleeson if you want to point fingers McKay has been doing a fine job of playing his own game.

Reply #606298 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'll trade you jacobsen for McKay? It could be worse. Stop drinking and typing Dazz.

Reply #606329 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I agree McKay has been impressive, but Jacobsen? Really? He's likewise been great at his unspectacular role.

I've been really impressed with how active McKay has been trying to knock balls off the rim. Most Americans who come here complain endlessly about all the goaltending they're convinced is going on.

Reply #606417 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Did someone fart in here? oh no that's just the stink of another stupid Dazz post

Reply #606419 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

I've been really impressed with how active McKay has been trying to knock balls off the rim. Most Americans who come here complain endlessly about all the goaltending they're convinced is going on.
I like that too, often gets the ball after a f/t rims.

It's weird how people want to complain about Perth's reliance on defence, then applaud the non-offensive role McKay is playing???

If you consider, that with everyone fit, our "starting" line up is Martin, Kenny, Prather, McKay, and Knight. Claiming we don't need McKay to score is simply insane.

End of the day, the guy's an import, a hired gun, and everyone seems to assume that the Cats pay theirs more than anyone else.
So THAT's the criteria you have to measure him against.
How does he stack up against other imports of the current era?
Personally I would of much preferred Ibekwe or even Charles Jackson.
I would have too
Ibekwe would have been great
Indeed, Ibekwe would have been awesome, but not sure the NBL could lure him back from Europe.
Yes to Jackson also, but again he's in Turkey.

Part of the problem is trying to figure out what role he has been brought in to play? He's a not a centre, more some kind of athletic defensive forward? Not sure he's the right fit>

Reply #606464 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

He and Knight seem a nice defensive fit together, probably the best defensive 4-5 duo in the league, with Knight probably the 5 more often than not to be honest. I'm happy with what McKay's providing, that's what I was expecting when they signed him. He'll score more if Perth get him the ball more in dunking positions!

Reply #606467 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I keep telling anyone that will listen that Brandt struggles during first half of the season but comes on strong near the end and I think he will do that again this season once he can get some confidence and earn Trev's trust...

What that means for Showtime is anyone's guess but I think the Wildcats have been playing better basketball as a team since the United away game so hopefully that can persist and be grown upon.

I still would have preferred Gladness

Reply #606830 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:40 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754