Anonymous
Years ago

What makes David Andersen so good?

I don't really see it. He can create contested turnaround jump shots but his success rate is average. Doesn't really create much for teammates or much on D.

He's an OK player but not worth the hype

Topic #40231 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

his awesome career overseas. he's at the end of his career now.

its like watching Olajuwon playing for Toronto and going "what's the big deal with this guy? He's crap!"

Reply #606271 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

He's a good all-rounder IMO. A better coach/system should be able to make better use of him than United have so far.

Reply #606353 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's great at taking money that will help the 37yo retire next season.

Reply #606361 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Can hardly blame a guy for accepting a big contract if someone is willing to throw one his way.

Reply #606362 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

I would prefer to discuss a more appropriate question. What makes Bairstow so good?

Reply #606365 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

^^^ exactly

Andersen has been far better value than a clearly out of shape Bairstow

Reply #606366 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Out of shape aka major injury from the olympics he is recovering from. Jesus it's getting worse on here! As for Andersen meh if united are paying take it. He never promised some youthful dominate style he was bringing to the game. It's on management. But he was good very very good for many years playing in leagues where money really talks. Like looking at Nash at the lakers wondering why they paid him so much. Best years behind them it's on the management.

Reply #606368 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Big guys struggle to dominate in the NBL.

Since Anstey, apart from a couple of good years from Khazzouh and Ogilvy last season there really haven't been any dominant bigs. The MVP's and stars of the league are typically smalls.

Reply #606372 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

True LV, but lots and lots of big guys have played a lot better than DA has so far this season.

But give the guy time, it's a big adjustment to the NBL style, teams are exploiting his weaknesses and his own team isn't clicking. Too early to judge.

As for what makes him so good, he has had a very good career without being a dominant player.

His career has basically been built on his ability at 6'11 to hit the open jumpshot and the fall-away jumper in the post, and that's been of great value to a number of very good European teams.

Reply #606378 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

Apart from injury Matty Knight has had a very solid career. Still think he is the NBL's most consistent big.

I have watched Bairstow closely in every game trying to see what he brings. I have posted this elsewhere so its not just a reaction to todays poor showing.

I just don't see much skill or IQ. He is strong and tries hard but tries to do far more than his skill set allows him.

I may be wrong but I don't think he will live up to the marquee tag (if he is a marquee.)

Reply #606381 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think Bairstow is a younger version of Matty Knight, they have very similar games.

The unfortunate thing is the expectations that come with having been on an NBA roster, but the reality is it's his first year of playing a major role in pro basketball. He'll be fine, and he'll go on to have a quality underrated career like Knight has.

And yes, I agree fstos, Knight is the best big in the NBL and just proves it season after season no matter who has come back into the league.

Reply #606384 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

I don't see any of the MU players having above average personal seasons so far,each game most seem to be either a little or a lot below what they have done in most of their games in previous NBL seasons.

I would suspect that would be indicative of their "new to NBL " players also playing below their probable average or best in the NBL.

why ?

its easy to blame the coach, but it could also be the playing group itself...

Reply #606406 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Jackson is getting older and losing his quick step. The team missing their best outside shooters means the floor isn't spaced enough for him to get to the rack or post up.

Goulding's shot just wasn't falling. It happens. He'll be back, it's a shame he got injured just as he was a really getting going.

I'm willing to give DA more time.

Blanchfield much same as last year. Tentative, plays within a certain role in this team, looks for open threes (and hit 8 of them vs Hawks). Not setting the world on fire like many expected when he arrived from Tville, just playing solid D and shooting when wide open.

Wesley, Moore and Majok have all been fairly decent imo. Probably doing what most expected of them. I'm a big fan of Majok- he does the dirty work in this team that others don't, making him valuable and I hope he gets 25min a game. Williams showed something today, so hopefully the penny has finally dropped for DD- give the guy some confidence, let him play a bit.

Reply #606413 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

Wesley is garbage.
Constantly tossing up horrid 3s.

Reply #606423 | Report this post

AKA  
Years ago

We've seen it in the past. Bigs that are coming into the NBL after spending time in Europe typically take at least half a season to adjust to the game style and refereeing in the NBL. In the last couple of seasons two players stand out, Kickert's first half of his first season had multiple games where he got fouled out and once he adjusted he was fine. Same with Omar Samhan last season. I reckon he fouled out 4 out of his first 5 games with not much scoring but ultimately turned into a 15 and 10 guy each night for the Crocs once he figured it all out. Give DA time, I suspect he'll have some huge games in the back half of the year!

Reply #606474 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Had an awesome career just as Brian "GOAT" Scalabrine had in the NBA and contributed to a championship ring.

Reply #606508 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:19 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754