Anonymous
Years ago

Corey Webster, a shadow of his former self

What's up with Corey Webster this season? Not even a starter. He seemed invincible at times last season, and he just looks totally out of it right now. Is there an injury or?

Topic #40234 | Report this topic

koberulz  
Years ago

He's looked totally out of it since the start of the collapse last year.

He was injured in pre-season, although I don't remember what or how serious it was. Doubt it's the cause though.

Reply #606400 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

He's never really got back to form since the personal issues he had last year. Whether that has had a lasting impact or just being a dad has changed his priorities or something else I don't know.

His 12-18 months before that were incredible though, I hope we get to see that player again on a consistent basis, he was unstoppable.

Reply #606411 | Report this post

lawsy  
Years ago

He looks unfit and slower to me. He was close to a NBA spot not long ago!

Reply #606416 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Himself and Cedric Jackson both seem very miserable. Hmmm

Reply #606420 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

How did he go with the Tall Blacks over the off-season?

Reply #606422 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Not as good as previous years. Played some good ball but his shot just wasn't as automatic as it had been and his moves weren't as sharp.

Reply #606427 | Report this post

AKA  
Years ago

Happy wife, happy life. It's no coincidence that Tiger Woods career spiralled downwards when his home life was torn apart.

Reply #606472 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

There's some rumours swirling that he won't be at the Breakers after his current deal. A player of his calibre should be getting up plenty of shots and plenty of minutes something Paul Henare isn't giving him.

Reply #606507 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I don't think it's an issue with his volume of shots, he just doesn't look like himself. Chucking up a lot of contested shots, without all the other scoring moves he's had in his game. The extra mins he'll get with Woodside could do him so good.

Reply #606531 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Definitely a shadow of his former self. He needs the Breakers to play more afternoon games because too often at night time he just goes missing.

Reply #606533 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Wouldn't surprise me if there is some friction between Webster and Henare.

Henare doesn't run enough sets specifically for Webster;not like Vickerman used to do. Henare seems a bit more team orientated.

Wouldn't surprise me if Henare wasn't the biggest fan of Webster's game; just because of Henare's own playing style when he played (which is reflected in his signing of Woodside really).

I'd be gutted if we lost him.

Henare needs to get him more involved and run some sets for him.

Reply #606537 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I heard someone in his circle mention that he wants to go to Europe anyway. Maybe he will need a change of scenery anyway. Sometimes it's like hitting the refresh button.

Reply #606542 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

MACDUB, Henare has ran plenty for him with the TBs the past two years, and he is getting 12 FGA per game this season. Reality is with Penney and Abercomrbie also on the wings - and far more efficient - he just isn't the best option.

Since his slump started last December he's shot 34% in the NBL, there's no way any good coach would be taking shots from Kirk and Tom for that return.

If he does find his stroke though watch out, the Breakers will be odds on to get title number five.

Reply #606543 | Report this post

BVL  
Years ago

Interesting thread, I was at the game friday and mentioned to my cousin his body language looked poor.

Every time he got subbed out he walked slowly to the bench and put his head in a towel while the rest of the team cheered.

The coach seems to sub he a Penny every 2-3 mins which makes it hard to find a rhythm.

My bet would be to go to Europe (although on poor form and low stats), or come be a main player in Australia.

Perth could definitely use some shooting...

Reply #606550 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

He would have been frustrated that they brought Penney in..and understandably so.

Franchise player really.

ADL wouldn't suddenly bring in a PG next year to replace/play same mins as Randle.

Reply #606657 | Report this post

PyroCross  
Years ago

He's carrying a hip injury that likely will need surgery, and due to when he picked up the injury (during the pre-season), he's likely to play through as long as he can.

Casey Frank mentioned this in Game 1 of the new season as he's had a similar injury, where its debatable whether surgery (and losing game time) or playing through (and hoping it comes right in the long term) is best.

The injury is why Henare sent him to the bench, especially early on. I'm not sure how the season will play out but its likely to be a blip.

Reply #606749 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think that is true MACDUB. If he was frustrated the Breakers brought back one of their country's greatest it wouldn't say much about him.

Breakers came second last year and wanted to get better. Easy decision. There are still lots of minutes and shots for him if he starts hitting again.

Reply #606771 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He will come good. He's too good not to. And the dangerous thing is this breakers team doesn't necessarily need him to go off every game to win. When he does it will just be the difference between them being good and bring unstoppable

Reply #606817 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That game winner might turn his season around. Before that he was still sulking a bit. Pledger just turned away when Webster was giving him an earful about a poor pass

Reply #607752 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:45 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754