Anonymous
Years ago

Stephen Holt - Asian?

Does Holt have a Phillipino passport? Asking for a friend.

Wildcats could use a decent import that allows them to keep their imports.

Topic #40249 | Report this topic

Train  
Years ago

Yes he can play under the NBL asian player rule.

Reply #606865 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm sure Marvin is all over this getting the constitution changed if needed.

Reply #606871 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Marvin has never changed the rules to suit. He has utilised the existing rules to their full extent though.

Reply #606873 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Contracted in Spain though, I think.

Mentioned on Twitter that he enjoyed playing in Australia and would be happy to return.

Reply #606874 | Report this post

_Strungout_  
Years ago

I would have thought Holt as a local player would have been one of the most in demand players to sign this season and a team could have offered him more money over a shorter time period then Spain.

Reply #606878 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Wildcats aside, If Holt enjoyed it here and would like to return wtf hasn't a team snapped him up? MU were mad to let him go IMHO. He was one of the standout PG's last season.
And yeah, surely the "Asian rule" would add a bit more value.

Reply #606880 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

He went to Spain at the end of last season and did quite well, was snapped up for this season but hasn't been shooting the ball as well so far. He may become available around Christmas time when European teams often make some changes if he doesn't find his stroke, who knows?

Offensively he had some really good games for Melbourne last year, needs to improve his consistency and defence but if he's a fourth import under the Asian player rule (assuming that has actually been approved by BA and FIBA) he'd be a very handy pick-up.

Reply #606893 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

As much as I'd love him to play for the Wildcats, you'd imagine that he'd be highly sought after by Breakers and Bullets and Trice seems like a gem but he may be hard to trust with his injuries too so would they try getting him here too?

All I know is he is a brilliant basketball player and I'd love to see him return and I'm fascinated to see him playing more the shooting guard role too

Reply #606948 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Would love to see the Cats get him, but can't see him abandoning Spain for an injury contract.

If he's doing well in Spain, I imagine it would be hard to pull him away, but down the track you'd think he'd be attractive to some teams.

The only stumbling block I can see on the "Asian Rule" is that I believe it is now subject to NBL approval? Possibly the goal is to get players who are actually from Asia systems, rather than just Americans with an Asian mum, so they might be picky about who they aprove???

Reply #606985 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Good point Dazz, if the owner of the league used Holt as an import on his team then would he say that Holt has to be an import for another NBL team?

Reply #607075 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

The only stumbling block I can see on the "Asian Rule" is that I believe it is now subject to NBL approval?
You're suggesting the rule changed mid-season? Based on what?

Reply #607078 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

The "rule" or whatever it was previously allowed Oceania players to play as locals.

What was announced as part of the new rules by the NBL was to expand that to "Asia" "subject to approval."
Some have suggested it was simply some natural flow-on from a change by FIBA, I don't know, but either way I'm sure the NBL would still have the right to draft restrictive rules.
Likewise I don't know if the "subject to approval" is something new, if its a real impediment, or simply a rubber stamp process.

I'm not suggesting anything malicious from LK or the league. Only that, if the changes were introduced by the NBL, they might have specific goals in mind.

Reply #607124 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

The "rule" or whatever it was previously allowed Oceania players to play as locals.

What was announced as part of the new rules by the NBL was to expand that to "Asia" "subject to approval."
Previously, Oceania players were simply considered locals. Now, there's one spot per team for an Asian player. Kind of misleading to say they're playing as locals, really.

Where are you getting 'subject to approval' from?

Reply #607131 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:37 am, Wed 17 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754