Isaac
Years ago

Breakers sign import David Stockton

Son of NBA great John Stockton.

The one NBA game I've seen live was absolutely terrible. I even wondered if a decent SA ABL team might've challenged them they were so bad. It was Lakers-Kings and the Lakers' best 6 players were injured, and most of the Kings' best were out too. I remember Stockton hitting the court for the Kings and he was tiny, though we were in the nosebleeds. Listed as 5'11".

From stuff.co.nz:

Stockton, who has played for the Sacramento Kings in the NBA, has been playing for Zagreb in Croatia.

Stockton's father, John, had a 19-year career with the Utah Jazz and is in the Hall of Fame.
He once had 37 points and 22 assists in the D-League.

Twitter profile
Wikipedia
ESPN profile
D-League Profile

Topic #40253 | Report this topic

LV  
Years ago

Looks like a good pick up.

Interesting that statistically, he didn't have a huge college career but then he's put up huge numbers over multiple seasons in the D League.

Only lasted 10 games in Croatia/Adriatic League so that's not a good sign. But really, the Breakers just need a guy who can reliably control the tempo and run their offense and gets shots for Webster, Penney and Abercrombie. Stockton should be able to do that.

Reply #606954 | Report this post

DJ Rod  
Years ago

Will be interesting to see if a slightly build guy like David can handle a physical league like the NBL.

Reply #606955 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Years ago

I'm not saying this is a huge get by NZ but it seems like signings like this are almost becoming standard. The word seems to be getting around about the NBL being an option for these NBA guys. It's good to see.

Reply #606956 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So what you're saying, Master Chief, is that this is a Stock standard signing?

Reply #606957 | Report this post

Manu Feildel  
Years ago

^Nice

Reply #606961 | Report this post

Manu Feildel  
Years ago

The good thing for NZB is that the skill sets of Woody and this bloke seem to be very comparable, which makes assimilation a fair bit easier than it could be

Reply #606962 | Report this post

Manu Feildel  
Years ago

Integration *

Reply #606964 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Years ago

Anonymous, very good (;

Not quite standard but only a few seasons ago, guys like Stockton would've been a reasonably big deal, but now it's not beyond the reach of any club to sign an NBA level player. Stockton is probably a bigger deal due to his name but anyone hanging around the NBA scene can obviously play.Be great too see how he goes and good job by NZ.

I remember when Flynn signed with the Tigers and many considered one of the biggest signings ever. Now that kind of thing doesn't come as a shock anymore.

Irrelevant now but if Jackson and United parted ways and he found himself back in a Breakers uniform, i would've put money on NZ for the title.

Reply #606969 | Report this post

BigAds  
Years ago

Could Cedric and Corey co-exist on the same roster again?

Reply #606975 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Years ago

BigAds, I've no idea. This was obviously just my imagination at play when people were mentioning the situation with Jackson & Untied. I could just foresee a renaissance of a Jackson ignited Breakers had that left field & unlikely thought transpired into reality.

There's still something about the Breakers though. It's just that battle hardened group. Plus, Henare has been in the system so they always succeed coaches well who just seems to keep things rolling.

Reply #606977 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Stockton signed a 10-day contract with the Sacramento Kings.[9] The next day, he made his NBA debut, recording one point, two rebounds and one assist in the Kings' 126-99 loss to the Los Angeles Clippers.[10] Following the expiry of his contract on March 1, the Kings decided to not re-sign Stockton to a second 10-day contract.
So not exactly what I would call "NBA level." Perhaps "NBA fringe"?
He somehow managed to score a Croatian Passport, otherwise he'd've been bumming around the D-League, just like a lot of our signings.

I wouldn't be too worried about his size. Diminutive PG's seem to do really well in the NBL, presumably because to be at that level, with their size, requires above average skill. (Just look at Randle.)It's not like he'll be required to post anyone.

Reply #606984 | Report this post

Mike  
Years ago

Nice

Reply #606986 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

United import already signed, cedric jackson out, be interesting to see if any other team signs him

Reply #606990 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

says who, Anon?

Reply #606991 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

United's Twitter.

Reply #606993 | Report this post

PyroCross  
Years ago

http://www.nzbreakers.co.nz/news/skycity-breakers-confirm-stockton-man/

Confirmed. I was worried for a second that MU had actually signed him (which is why they released Cedric).

Stockton reminds me a bit of Delly. The one quality that stood out from watching him in Gonzaga is his competitiveness. Always played a higher level than his talent. Hopefully he shows that for the Breakers, but I'm excited.

Reply #607160 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone who followed his career in Europe, what type of impact will he have at NBL level?

Reply #607412 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:05 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754