Duke Fan
Years ago

Josh Powell is a top shelf import

There were some early mutterings about his attitude and the minor blemish of the run in with Worthington, but he's proving to be a great buy for the Kings and the NBL. His form on the court has been solid and off court he’s just a likeable guy. Popular with the team and fans alike. He’s been a real hit on some school visits and the kids have loved him and he obviously enjoys interacting with them (unlike some players I’ve seen in the past who act totally disinterested when forced to do them).
Top shelf Import

Topic #40255 | Report this topic

Master Chief  
Years ago

He's definitely a quality player. I miss those inside & outside 4's that we use to see in the NBL. Guys like Rychart, Carlos Powell and Ballinger who could just take over a game haven't really been the import types modern teams seem to go for as much.

Reply #606979 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

I thought he must've had something about him when he playing for Houston a couple of years ago and they released him and then he finished the season with them as an assistant coach.

Must've been a likable & positive guy around the locker room for them to do something like that.

Reply #606981 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I agree but from an outsider looking in, is he trying to pick up what Josh Childress was delivering in the community or is he such a different type of player and personality that that isn't asked of him.

Very likeable bloke

Reply #607076 | Report this post

Jumpshot  
Years ago

Appears to be in 1st gear, until Kings start losing then he steps up. Sometimes it's too late!!!

Reply #607087 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Josh has his own charity that he's involved with, so that would lend to him being a lot more community minded and more happy to get involved with kids and the community and such...

On court it's a bit hit and miss sometimes as I foget that he's a bit older and probably more reluctant to bang around insdie, so I get a bit frustrated that a guy his size isn't mixing it up closer to the basket, but off court, he's great value and a really good get...

Reply #607091 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

From what little I remember of him even in the NBA that wasn't really Powell's game. I think he's fine for what we need him for, which is some scoring off the bench inside the arc. He's not nearly the defender or rebounder that Maric is, but he is the far better scorer. On the sidelines Powell has looked like nothing less than the perfect team mate, and seems to spend a lot of time talking to Copeland during games, so I think his role probably mixes in with coaching a little too.

Off the court, he's awesome.

Reply #607102 | Report this post

Triton 93  
Years ago

Great thread Duke! I agree with you - top shelf. I'm an MU fan but I love what he is bringing to the league. Great to see.

Reply #607103 | Report this post

Mike  
Years ago

Frenzal Rhomb are not a very good band

Reply #607247 | Report this post

Now if only he would stop falling for the baiting from ordinary players with Astroboy wannabe haircuts...

Reply #607250 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

@Wookiee (double E), I'm going to have to report you for using the same line in multiple posts. That's the sin bin for you for at least 15 inutes! :D

Reply #607267 | Report this post

Fair call, but that haircut really deserves more pisstaking... Maybe Josh was just trying to fix it for him?

Reply #607270 | Report this post

Duke Fan  
Years ago

I stand by my post even after a sub standard effort last night. I understand the Kickert thing....hell I'd like to throw Kickert on the floor. But getting sucked in by Young?? Josh that was just dumb

On the subject of Kickert, he's rapidly becoming my most disliked player in the league. Whether it's the whining on EVERY call, the bemused look when one of his constant travels finally gets called, or the cheap shot foul on Newley.......he's a douche

Reply #607278 | Report this post

Yeah, Josh was well justified on calling Kickert on his dick move... tehre's one thing about losing out on wrestling with another player, but actively trying to grab a leg to cause them to trip is a douche move...

re: the altercation with Young, Gaze was quoted in the press conference as saying it's not wanted in the game and I think he'll be having some words with Josh to make sure it doesn't happen again... we play Perth next round and they will be taking it to him...

Reply #607286 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

He will need to work on not getting sucked in so easily. The rest of the league knows he bites, he will be a target for these kinda incidents.

Reply #607290 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:50 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754