koberulz
Years ago

United release Cedric Jackson

Melbourne and Jackson part ways

Melbourne United Basketball Club has today announced the release of point guard Cedric Jackson from his contract, effective immediately.

Topic #40256 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

Not saying there was necessarily a better way to handle it, but what a bland press release.

When they signed him, I couldn't have imagined them screwing it up. He has been in that category of proven winners with D Martin, Lisch, etc.

Assuming Melbourne are paying him out, someone should grab him cheap.

Reply #606994 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

Wow, talk about a club in absolute freefall

Reply #606995 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

He must have really become a team cancer to be released.

Reply #606996 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

Everyone thought it was going to be goggles + aiight to go

Reply #606997 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Nice, wait until NZ lines up a replacement for Woodside and then cut him!

Reply #606998 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How the hell does Vince keep getting rid of players and coach (Anstey) and keep his own job!! He is the issue, the club will never prevail until they get the right person running the show

Reply #606999 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

I wonder if any other club will pick him up or if he will leave the NBL.

Reply #607000 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

He can take Brisbane to the next level

Reply #607001 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Come on Cats, lets move.

Reply #607002 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

JJ just started packing...

Reply #607003 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

He was always a weird signing for mine. Yes he's a champion, the premier PG in the league over the past several years, but very definitely on the decline.
All other things being equal, his value was to stick around NZ a bit more and get naturalised.

MU are just really dysfunctional.
What does the "U" stand for again?

Reply #607004 | Report this post

Red74  
Years ago

Release McKay. Sign Jackson. Play JJ and Prather as 2/3. Play kenny and Jackson as 1/2 until Martin gets back. Then play Martin / Jackson as 1/2 and kenny as a 2

Reply #607005 | Report this post

Red74  
Years ago

And sign matt burston

Reply #607006 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Didn't Brisbane show serious interest in Jackson before he was locked up by Melbourne?

Reply #607007 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cats cannot get CJ.

Can you imagine a backcourt of CJ and Martin?

You'd have opposition guards crowding the keyway due to the zero threat from 3 land.

Plus he has not looked as driven as he was in NZ, I don't know what happened to him, but he is not the same.

Reply #607008 | Report this post

Kyrie2Nation  
Years ago

How does CJ get sacked before Williams who has been nothing short of atrocious? CJ had a pretty good first two weeks of the season. The last 3 weeks he has been pretty bloody poor but he should have been given more time IMO.

Reply #607010 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

No shortage of drama this season..

Reply #607011 | Report this post

Me bEn  
Years ago

WOW.

I really hope Brisbane go hard to get him, he is exactly what they need to take a step up. Unsure if they'll try to make the move though as the money needed would be coming from the league owner.

Chop Te Rangi and make it happen please!!!!

Reply #607013 | Report this post

Juwan Howard  
Years ago

His shooting mechanics were never to my liking, even though he is certainly a plus pick and roll player and flashes great vision and leadership skills. His high usage rate may have been a problem too especially in DD's sets.

Still, he projected as an above average 1 at worst at this level this year so it is puzzling to see him on the outer and one wonders if intra-team dynamics or backroom shenanigans are to blame for his sudden demise.

Reply #607016 | Report this post

Andy  
Years ago

I expect Sydney to sign CJ asap. By all reports they have plenty of room under the cap.

Reply #607020 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is there a replacement lined up?

Reply #607021 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

His shooting was never his strength but they were largely well compensated by his ability to drive and find targets. He made Will Hudson better for example. In MU, those compensatory attributes have not come to the fore as much.

Reply #607022 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Replacement is supposed available Saturday. True or not I don't know, but as always if you sack a player you have to have a player ordered a few weeks ago. Shame it wasn't the coach.

Reply #607024 | Report this post

Mike  
Years ago

CJ is trash now, can't shoot and has regressed with his game in most areas.

Do not want for Cats

Reply #607025 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

Poorly used at MU, largely because they don't have a coach. Oh, wait, they do? Who? Surely not that Demopoulos guy?

I don't think Perth should pick him up, as has been posted, it will be dreadful to have him and Marto on the floor together. Could they rotate the two of them? Surely Marto will take a little time to get his game going again after 12 weeks off. If they do pick him up, it would have to be at the expense of McKay, not Johnson. How would they ever recruit imports again, if they sack the same guy twice in one season, after guaranteeing him the rest of the season when they brought him back in?

As I've posted before, I think Matt Burston (I think he's a native WAussie) would be a good fit for the team if they did cut McKay to bring in Jackson.

How funny is it that MU have cut him, though? He was brought in as the Man to bring them the Championship, and all that hooha, now they can't wait to get rid of him.

Reply #607026 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

What you guys dont like a fucking PG that posts up?? past his best good move MU

Reply #607028 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Years ago

I think Melbourne are now paying for just expecting it all to happen. Obviously everyone wants and needs talent but you still have to think about the balance of your team and the way they all work together. DD just went out and got the best 11 or so players he could find. That approach rarely comes comes together. Jackson never looked at home in Melbourne.

Brisbane are the obvious suitors given they have an import spot ready to burn. And i think they need him too because Gibson/Bruce doesn't look good enough to me.

Reply #607029 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

NEWSFLASH!!

Melbourne United report that they are extremely embarrased to have released their point guard, Cedric Jackson, too early.

A team official, who cannot be named, is reported as saying: "Unfortunately, the guy we had in mind to replace him turns out to have scored himself another job in the interim.

Here's the link.

https://scontent-syd2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/14639604_10157923329780725_856028268159814788_n.jpg?oh=06f5b121bfdd89b3860b189d0bf243de&oe=5895A6D6

Reply #607030 | Report this post

Red74  
Years ago

Cats would be dumb to cut JJ again. He has changed his game by working off the ball more and not trying to create off his dribble.
I'd much prefer to keep Matty playing pf and keep McKay. But would the cats be better off with Jackson and no McKay or as is using wroe, Hussey et al?

Reply #607032 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Jackson would be great at Brisbane

Reply #607036 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

Not surprised. Yet another example that coach DD can't put together the different components in order to get the best out of them as a unit. Maybe the replacement can save his ass.

I don't think anyone who returned from last season has improved apart from Adnam. Todd finally was hitting shots, but is he a better player now than when he arrived? CG43, Majok, Tomlinson ... I reckon they've gone backwards

Reply #607037 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Were MU delaying a few days until NZ had signed a PG for Woodside..to avoid NZ picking up Ced? (Not that they are prevented from now going to Ced im presuming but not a good look culling Stockton).

Can't understand this. Pissed off as a wider NBL fan really as the more this happens the greater damage it has to our league's reputation..'don't go to Aussie man, they're ruthless and theyll cut you willy nilly'.

Reply #607045 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

But, perhaps it could lead to a better class of import coming out here. One who is prepared to play hard and leave his attitude at home.

Reply #607048 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Can you imagine a backcourt of CJ and Martin?
Firstly the whole point (of any Cats discussion) is that Martin is realistically gone for the season. Could be back in 12 weeks, could be 10, could be 15, etc. If we COULD sign CJ, I'd take in him a flash.
Secondly, even if he was signed beyond this season, a backcourt of Martin and Jackson would be better than Martin & Kenny.

But we're not going to cut JJ, and I'd say we're unlikely to cut McKay to sign a guard, unless we have another quality local big lined up.

Reply #607049 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So the coach who has picked these now sacked players keeps his job.

Reply #607057 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Were MU delaying a few days until NZ had signed a PG for Woodside..to avoid NZ picking up Ced?
Webster and Jackson on the same team? Can't see it happening.

Reply #607060 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Yes, there is bad blood between Jackson and Webster so I can't see him going to NZ until Webster is out of there.

There are ties and interest and need in Brisbane, but as someone already said, unless they have spare cash to work with, they'd need to go to LK and he might discourage them thinking it a risky move.

If he's paid out by Melbourne, a lone suitor could realistically get him for peanuts. In that case, Perth could play him off the bench should Martin return. Incidentally, Martin's 3P% is not far off or better than those of: Goulding, Clarke, Norton, Randle, Webster, Drmic, Andersen, Loughton, Bruce, Prather, Hire, Harris, Wagstaff, Gliddon, Ellis, Newley, Coenraad, Worthington...

Reply #607062 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Cedric Jackson is done in the NBL now. His poor attitude saw him basically passed over by New Zealand, and his poor attitude is a large part of why Melbourne dropped him. Teams will not continue to pick up a guy with attitude problems. So my bet is this is the last you'll see of him in the league.

And fair enough. As all of you have noted, his play has been on the decline.

Melbourne United and Perth Wildcats look like basket cases right now. Everyone is trying to catch up to Sydney and I can't see anyone doing it this season.

"Pissed off as a wider NBL fan really as the more this happens the greater damage it has to our league's reputation..'don't go to Aussie man, they're ruthless and theyll cut you willy nilly'."

The import turn-over is a product of the standard of the league. If they're not good enough, they don't stick around. I don't think NBL teams should keep under-performing imports just so we look like a nice, easy place to play.

Reply #607069 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

The reality is in Europe teams are much quicker to pull the trigger on imports than we are here. If anything we put up with under performing imports for too long.

I'm not sure if this will be the end for Cedric in the NBL but with his attitude this season it should be. He made a big mistake leaving the Breakers for MU and now being punted by them. Should've stayed there even just to get his Kiwi citizenship and then could've played anywhere in the NBL as a local for years to come whilst still commanding good money.

Reply #607070 | Report this post

Josh  
Years ago

You guys saying drop Mckay are crazy . Based on his numbers overall he is one of most productive bigs in League ! Even when he doesn't score he makes a significant impact ! And after all wildcats are tied for top spot if they win Sunday ! I just don't get your point of view on the kid 11&7&2 and I believe he will start to play better those numbers are comparable to AJ better than Powell . Give the kid a break

Reply #607071 | Report this post

Captain Jack  
Years ago

Yea i like McKay, one of the better import bigs in the NBL

Reply #607073 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

I want to see Jackson in a Wildcats jersey!

Oh I meant Jackson Hussey not that wanker I boo every time I see him at Perth Arena.

How do you trust Cedric, he air balls more free throws and 3 pointers than nearly any player in NBL history and this season with shooters all around him (and Majok) he still thinks the team need him shooting 10-15 shots a game, I don't hate on him for being a post up point guard but one that thinks they need him shooting that much to win.

He is a top shelf facilitator and rebounder and competitor when he's mind is on the job but I only wanna see him at Perth Arena to boo him some more.

I think if Trice finds himself injured again (yes I'm concerned that he may be injury prone) then him in Cairns could work rather well, otherwise Brisbane could use him

Reply #607079 | Report this post

_Strungout_  
Years ago

Things didn't workout with United although Ced is an all time great in the NBL.

Reply #607082 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

CNS are innovative when it comes to imports and are not interested in everyone else's scraps. We only get washed up locals. Trice will be fine.

Reply #607083 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

..'don't go to Aussie man, they're ruthless and theyll cut you willy nilly'.

Thanks for the laugh,you can really hear a Yank saying "Willy nilly" LOL.

Reply #607090 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Saw a very vague rumor on twitter last night suggesting that Jordair Jett was the replacement for Jackson. It was just a comment on one of Jett's tweets so doubt it has much credibility. Has anyone else heard anything about this?

Reply #607094 | Report this post

MidRange  
Years ago

Jett would be a nice fit because of his days at Townsville but I'd just split minutes between Adnam and Tomlinson.
Melbournes biggest problem is that too many people want to handle the ball. Too many players like to create shots and not be a spot up option. Thats what the difference is with Sydneys loaded to team to Melbournes.

Reply #607100 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

..'don't go to Aussie man, they're ruthless and theyll cut you willy nilly'.

Thanks for the laugh,you can really hear a Yank saying "Willy nilly" LOL.

Well IMO (and the reason for doing it is) single quotation marks generally refers to thoughts; double quotation marks are actual speech.

Reply #607104 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Not sure if it's an understood convention and probably lost in a world of haphazard writing, but I use that same practice. Double quotes for a direct quote and single quotes for something capturing the sentiment (paraphrasing, etc).

Reply #607114 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

All sorts of wacky theories flying around, interesting to see if any come to pass.

Reply #607127 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

Jordair Jett to United??
Surely not.

Reply #607242 | Report this post

_Strungout_  
Years ago

If Jordair Jett hasn't been playing anywhere lately he could be 110kgs +

Reply #607249 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

Any news anyone?

Reply #607283 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Didn't United state they had a replacement ready to go for Saturday. Leaving it a bit short for the announcement.

Doesn't sound like it's going to be a spectacular signing, if it was they would of announced it to draw interest to the game and get more bums on seats.

Reply #607285 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Got one of those mates who swears they have signed 'Player X' and that they pulled the trigger quickly on CJ because 'X' was already in talks with Perth.
(No actual facts to back this up, just his divine inspiration) ROFL

Reply #607287 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Don't think they'd bother Train, 'name' basketball players traditionally don't draw crowds in Australia because no one knows who they are!

Reply #607291 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

@paul - fair point, but they are still leaving it pretty late to announce if he is suiting up this weekend. You would think if they were suiting him up he would at least be in town and training with the team.

Reply #607295 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Agreed. Who knows with Melbourne though.

Reply #607296 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vince Crivelli is the problem, after D-mac was fired he had a chance to get Rob Beveridge and didn't take him cause he didn't like him, said he didn't want an aussie coach after he missed out on Lemanis & Goorgian at the time D-mac was coaching, so he went to the states to get a coach who knew nothing about the league.

He keeps his job cause LK loves him, case closed.

Reply #607341 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cedric was terrible this year this is addition by subtraction

Reply #607347 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Totally agree Cedric was terrible, but as a coach u put him in a position/situations where he can be effective, posting him up when he shoots 30% from the field and 50% from the line is not gonna work. Play him in P & R where he can get others involved, my problem is he's not competing on the defensive end.

Reply #607359 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:03 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754