Zodiac
Years ago

36ers vs Hawks 12/11

Unusual time for this game tomorrow evening at 5pm with the 36ers needing to get back on track with a win at home after a couple of road losses.

Not sure if DJ & Creek will be playing but would be good to see Fergy start to step up and hopefully Dr. Mic is feeling more comfortable now.

As for the Hawks is Marvelle Harris still alive? Acted like he'd been shot towards the end of the MU game. Hopefully Holyfield won't go flying into orbit if Randle runs into him.

36ers too good at home by 12.

Topic #40262 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hawks in this one. Adelaide are all over the place and wont take a massive spurt of inconsistency to get the Hawks in front. Oh and the 36ers dont play defence.

Reply #607265 | Report this post

DJ and Creek still out for this one. Will be tighter than a Japanese train carriage.

Reply #607266 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"As for the Hawks is Marvelle Harris still alive? Acted like he'd been shot towards the end of the MU game. "

Does this every week. I think there's a sniper in the crowd that follows him to each and every game. So f*king annoying. (And I am a hawks fan)

Reply #607269 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Tip off at 7, WNBL game early on.

Woeful Wollongong v Accident (prone) Adelaide

Adelaide with a weak team due to injuries and really need to get this one in the bag early to keep in touch with the big boys of the league. Illawarra with a lot of road trips early seem to be lacking the chemistry that a team needs to be competitive. Maybe it's time to put the keys in the fruit bowl and see what happens. Alternatively, maybe they could bond over a BBQ at Jim's.

Danger game for Adelaide. They need to get tighter on D and spread the workload.

Time for a spoonful of cement Adelaide, and time to pluck a Hawk

Reply #607300 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Might want to check your times Jack

Reply #607303 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No....Let Jack think tipoff is 7pm.

Reply #607304 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

Adelaide currently rank 1st in points per game, with 91.0, and last in points allowed, with 97.7. Illawarra are 3rd in PPG with 85.1 and second last in PAPG with 86.0.

Anyone for a high scoring match?

Reply #607310 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Why are the Hawks the favourites with Bet365? Is Randle not playing?

Reply #607344 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Illawarra are 3-5, average margin of -0.9. Adelaide are 3-4, average margin of -6.7.

Last time these two teams met, Illawarra won by 4,370.

Reply #607346 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does anyone know if Harris is playing???

Reply #607362 | Report this post

Brunson  
Years ago

Wilson Sting, DJ is not playing is why they are favourites. Expect Hawks to pound the ball inside

Reply #607379 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

I'd just like to say that, as always, I'm eternally grateful to Boti/The Advertiser for including the all-time head-to-head records of these teams, but not anything to do with this season. It really gives fans all the relevant info about these teams, in their current forms, that they could possibly want.

Reply #607396 | Report this post

twenty four  
Years ago

That is, in their pre-game infographics, for those unaware.

Reply #607397 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

Won't help them Brunson when your centre is a marshmallow.

Reply #607402 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

@twenty four - did you try reading the story?

Reply #607403 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tommy Greer said randle has some injury issue in warm up but will play

Reply #607413 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Josh Jenkins from the crows has joined the NBL commentary team

Reply #607414 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sobey is a stellar player

Reply #607416 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

AJ Ogilvy so soft mentally

Reply #607423 | Report this post

Mike  
Years ago

Sixers were $2 to win?

$2?????????

They are in my multi but what the fuck are the bookies thinking

Reply #607424 | Report this post

Mike  
Years ago

LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL

Reply #607426 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mike I'm on the sixers too but it's only 5 points at the break

Reply #607429 | Report this post

Tempo  
Years ago

21 free throws to 5? lololololololol

Reply #607430 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Hodgson a little bit of a double double in 14 minutes
Don't hurry back dj.....
(I think Tracy York used to coach lightning as well as sixers assistant....)

Reply #607431 | Report this post

_Strungout_  
Years ago

Bookies put up 36ers as favs although money came for the Hawks so they started favs.

Punters must have been thinking;

No Creek
No DJ
Potential Randle injury that may slow him down

Looks like the game will be close.

Reply #607432 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is getting tight

Reply #607433 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Hodgson has gone into beast mode

Holyfield's been shot by Marvelle's sniper

Reply #607434 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oscar with a couple of daggers

Reply #607435 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When you look at Hodgson and sober, the future if very bright for Adelaide

Reply #607436 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Beveridge v Wright. That should tell you enough about why the Hawks were favorites

Reply #607438 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh dear adelaide don't ever change. Cleaned up, that team is so ordinary. Flashes of brilliance won't win games and at $1.86 odds Hawks were always coming back, they are a team and play defence. Call me when Joey is gone, this team is clueless

Reply #607439 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I just put a bet on the Hawks after the game finished and also won

Reply #607441 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hah yeah I went out of my way to find out how the Hawks WERE paying, just to get on here and boast. This Adelaide team has caused me so much pain over the years, its about time I get something out of it! They are really really bad.

Reply #607442 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adelaide couldn't defend the lightening.

Reply #607443 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

imo I still think 36ers will get the spoon

Reply #607444 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

below is some blokes comment on the NBL's facebook post from the game. Imagine the NBL being shut down all because Adelaide don't play defense and have a streaky offense lol

"Adelaide 28 points in the first quarter .. and 28 combined in the second half ?? ..seriously lol ! And people wonder why this junk isn't on free to air TV. It's embarrassing it really is.. the league needs to shut down/fold and regroup. Attract players that can actually a) make shots lol ..and b) entertain."

Reply #607445 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Some are just clueless, it's up to the NBL and the clubs to inform people by marketing and creating a narrative like we're used to from NBA, NCAA etc.

Well. 36ers finished horribly.

Hodgson: Great rebounding, it'd be nice for him to continue to develop like this. If only he could finish off right next to the basket better, too often he misses point blank when the defence isn't contending. Those are the times you dunk it instead - it took David Cooper a few years to figure that out and when he did, he became far more effective.

Sobey: Great drive to the basket and he's got a sweet little jump shot. Carried us quite a bit, even with his rebounding as well. He just needs to put away the three point shot for a while and focus on getting baskets from his strong drive or his little jumper. If you're going to airball a three, then maybe give it some time before trying again.

Teys: Struggled today, and apart from two nice midrange jumpers, he shot badly, really badly. Those airballs... Teys needs to put away his three point shot until he has confidence and momentum - that means hitting some midrangers first and waiting for that right time to chuck up a three.

Jacobsen: Needs to hit his freethrows. Not a great shooting game today.

Randle: Wasn't his best that's for sure, struggled to hit from range and struggled with the zone.

Reply #607463 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's true. If you're a casual fan you don't want to see an array of outside bricks for a total of 28p in a half.

Reply #607522 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I only caught the 4th Q, but hard to believe the Sixers don't have a single zone attack set in their playbook.

Reply #607523 | Report this post

_Strungout_  
Years ago

Hey Mike - nice early crow.

Reply #607531 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adelaide have Randle and Randle only. As he goes, so does Adelaide. Joey Wright isnt a tactics type coach, just a manager of personalities. Adelaide are screwed BIG TIME. Regressed every year he has coached.

Reply #607533 | Report this post

Went to water as soon as they went to a zone. When the other team goes zone this is when you need Ferguson and Drmic to step up and start hitting shots.

Hodgson: Great game, still do not rate him. Has a good game every now and then otherwise reminds me of a poor mans Paul Rees.

Sobey: You have talent, have a heap of offensive moves but you need to pass sometimes. Everytime he touches the ball he jacks a three or drives, the only time he passes is when he gets cut off on a drive, to predictable.

Jacobsen: Ok import, first year of pro ball so ups and downs are expected. Unfortunate we are one of the cheaper teams as we can not afford to replace under performing imports and can not afford any better than Jacobsen.

Ferguson: Really need to add something other than a 3 point shot to your offensive game. Would not kill Joey to try and get him more involved, especially on drive and dish and on the break.

I think its time for Joey Wright to go. He has served us well but considering you we can not compete financially with other teams we need to be better defensively.

Reply #607538 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

Actually -- its not hard to believe the Sixers don't have a single zone attack set in their playbook.

Against a Zone:

Stage One : get into offense before the Zone sets up.

at this level IMHO that means

1) in-bounding the ball from the baseline to the high 45's and one dribble passes to get the ball up to the ring quickly.

2) getting your "slows" to screen out / hinder the other team's slows from getting down court.

Stage two : drive the seams and kick the ball out and around with two consecutive quick passes - after drawing help

Stage three: if/when your "3" shot goes up - only one 'safety" - 4 committed offensive re-bounders

Reply #607544 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

The telling point for me was Joey screaming at them constantly in the 4th to take the ball to the rack which would have been a good tactic considering the foul trouble the Hawks were in. But they just kept on putting up 3 point bombs that weren't dropping.

If I was the coach I'd be a mite pissed at how they played in the last.

As someone said above, basically you take away Randle and you severely limit Adelaide's offence.

Hodgson stepped up tonight on the boards and he needed to, but it wasn't enough. But he needs to start doing it consistently because we need more than just DJ who can rebound.

Reply #607551 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Poor effort by Adelaide.
Hug effort by Hawks!
They did a great job hanging in there... Oscar, Harris, Conraad hit a cnumber of big shots just to keep them to keep them in touch (still down 5 or 6) and then caught the tide at the right time as thirty sixer's fell in a hole offensively. Courtesy of Hawks zone and impatience by Sixers.
And they did it without their big guy who had a shocker while Hodson was all world for Adelaide.

Reply #607556 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

Adelaide would stand a chance in games like this if they had a coach who understood how to teach offensive sets, rather than rely on a gun player to break the opposition D by dribble penetration on every play.

They actually have players with good skills, just a crap coach.

Reply #607566 | Report this post

sixtiesrockstar  
Years ago

Sixers shooting % was a just woeful. Couldn't hit a basket. Hodgson was the only player above 40% from the field. Their 3pt % was something else again, if they play blindfolded next game they would probably make more than last night. The Hawks had 5 playerr shoot at better than 50% from the field, with Foreman 3-4, Norton 2-2 and even Cody Ellis hit 3-5 from 3pt range.
Randle just did not look right.
I don't know how they can explain such bad shooting, field goals, 3pt and even the free throws as professionals is just abhorrent. Saw at least three airballs.
The other issue was Hawks had three players in foul trouble. AJ and Hollyfield were both on 4 fouls. Hollyfield was benched as insurance in case AJ fouled out, yet he never got another foul. Sixers have always been bad at attacking and finishing off players on 4 fouls.
Hodgson and Jacobsen put in so much effort inside, for all the other players to let them down offensively.

Reply #607568 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You Joey haters, forget he's missing two starters! In an already young team where your knockdown shooter, Drmic look like a DP. Take out Ogilvy and rotnei and see what happens, zone or not! They lack depth, not coaching.

Reply #607570 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They lack coaching they have done for a long time. He is a talker, knows all the right things to say to keep his job, but reality is he is completely out of his depth when real coaching needs to be done. He would've made the 36ers feel he could take a young energetic team on a minimal cap really close with his style. Reality is that's bullshit.

Reply #607571 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

On a side note though,it's great to see travel being called this season. Just a shame the easiest call of a player rolling around on the floor still doesn't get called.

Reply #607574 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

36ers aren't playing that badly for a side without Creek and DJ, our two most experienced players.

Even as a full strength side, the expectations by most with a clue was that Adelaide would struggle to do much better than wooden spoon.

I guess much is helped that Randle has been a bit of a freak of nature for us, particularly against Perth.

Reply #607629 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Seems we gonna do some zone attack sets at this week's training , as we didn't know what to do , last nite , here.

Reply #607632 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

In Joey's defence, from what I saw he was instructing them to run and go at the zone but his guards - esp Randle and Sobey - didn't respond and were far too passive.

Reply #607639 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

It was an embarrassing capitulation in the final quarter. To be in front all game to only be blown away in the 4th and at home by the then 2nd to bottom team is totally unacceptable.

I know we're missing two of our Top 3 players but Randle just never looked like he had his head in the game and we just don't get enough out of other imports.

Reply #607641 | Report this post

36ers should have won, even with Randle well held. Had plenty of opportunity in the middle of that last quarter. 5 or 6 stops in a short period of time but rimmed out every shot we took on the back of them. Should really have been a 12-zip run. Ended up totally junking it in the end, throwing up silly 3's to try to reel in the deficit.

Hodgson and Jacobsen worked harder than I've ever seen our bigs work. If they keep playing like that we'll win games.

I don't think we're too far off the mark considering we're two starters down. We're not getting blown off the court in recent weeks which is a good sign, we just have to find a way to get over the line.

Reply #607800 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:15 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754