Anonymous
Years ago

Several teams over soft cap: Loeliger

"Looking at the talent on court now, I would think it would be relatively apparent to most that there are a number of teams who are over the soft salary cap," Loeliger said.

"We want them to be over the soft salary cap. That's a good news story for the NBL because that means that they are making a contribution to the other teams for next year.

"I can categorically say that every team complies with the five players under $400,000 rule, which to me is almost the most important part of the talent distribution, that's basically the anti-stacking provision."

He also goes on to clarify about salary details that will be released later on in the season.

https://au.sports.yahoo.com/basketball/a/33150761/nbl-no-two-tier-comp-loeliger/#page1

Topic #40267 | Report this topic

Luuuc  
Years ago

Nice to see this subject being spoken about by the front office after all the recent rumblings.

Reply #607389 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Refreshing to hear someone inside the tent making a statement with some details.

Based on the article, team salaries should be published around the end of January. That's assuming it'll happen in the same time frame as the "decision about how much, if any, subsidy will be paid by each franchise".

Reply #607392 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I know they will release the figures on a certain date but I wonder when they decide on a players "nominal" worth. Take the two NBA retirees at the Kings.

Originally I would have set their nominal worth at $150-180K. Based in how they are playing the are probably going for Ben Allen rates.

The opposite of say Sorry who's contract us low but nominal worth if he was going to continue to play at these levels is now much higher.

That's why I believe they should have set and published nominal salaries as eac player has signed.

Reply #607399 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Also if they decide on nominal worth as each player signs then the club can make better business decisions about soft cap tax issues etc.

Reply #607400 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

And of course we trust everything JL says to be 100% truthful???
I'd love to know how the hell Sydney have 5 players under $400k???
Especially if salaries are being independently assessed?

Reply #607406 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Prewster $40g
Hill $70g
Garlepp $120g
Cadee $130g
Powel $140g

At a guess right on $500g but it would be tight.

Reply #607417 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

5 under $400K...not $500K

Reply #607418 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Powell wouldn't be in the bottom five

Reply #607419 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Somebody has to be, that's the point.
I'm not clear if Khazza is counted in their 11, or if they currently only have 10 players listed.
Either wya, you're supposed to have 6 guys on the bench, if not tough shit, there must be five guys getting collectively $400k or less.
You're not supposed to be allowed to run with only 10 players and claim "oh well we have 4 under $400k" as that defeats the whole purpose.

Put simply, there is no way Sydney are complying with this rule, unless the NBL has bent it. Either they are letting them claim only 4 and an empty slot, or they are claiming to pay some guys less than what they are worth, which again is supposed to be addressed by the committee.

Also, I don't see how he can claim MU being shit under DD as some kind of victory for the system???

Reply #607501 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No one is saying it's a victory for anyone. I think the point being made is spending money alone doesn't get you success.

Reply #607518 | Report this post

Rabbit 51  
Years ago

I can say that Cadee signed for $80k before this year and signed a two year contract. He's been spotty in the past and the Kings weren't super confident as to the large role he has played this year. He is definitely under paid!

Reply #607541 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:02 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754