Anonymous
Years ago

What is Sobey's ceiling?

What's the kids ceiling? It looks like he has come out of nowhere. I know he shot poorly last night, but he missed around 5 layups and as a midrange or three to that and he putting up 20+ per game if he continues going. I'd say he would be the best rebounding guard in the league also, pulling down another 11 last night.

Still learning the game, but it seems he is improving in many areas and is exciting to watch.

Market value for next season?

Topic #40276 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's probably the best Australian-born guard in the league right now.

Reply #607603 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'll pay best non-injured Australian born guard in the league

Reply #607604 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You still prefer CG43? Sobey does it all for mine, whereas CG is only a one-on-one scorer.

Reply #607606 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Goulding is arguable but I'd take Martin every day of the week

Reply #607611 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Better than Gliddon? Child, please...

Reply #607613 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He is good not great. He is very good at getting HIS stats but has no idea of pace of the game etc and his style of play is not really something that's aligned with winning. Basically has been under-utilised in the past has now found a chance to produce in an absolutely shit team with a coach who doesn't believe in set basketball offended so great combo for him to shine.

Reply #607626 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah anon, he only took his Big V team to the championship on his back in the offseason. What would he know about winning?

Another point is that it is arguably harder to perform with less depth as there is more attention on you!

Gliddon is a shooter, Sobey is a rebounding scorer, try doing a statistical side by side with Sobey and Gliddon. Or any of the other comparable players/imports.

The idea of the thread was to discuss his ceiling, yet the tall poppy choppers come out in force. Go kick rocks somewhere.

Reply #607653 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Relax max, he is good I just don't think he is a superstar. A few Adelaide fans are really struggling for positives and yes this is one, but it's not like linsanity where the knicks couldn't lose at one stage purely off Lins performances. In a more settled environment he will be of value but expect his stats and influence to diminish a bit. And as far as less depth, well no issue if you are planning on attacking and shooting it every single time. Shot selection is what may be his downfall from smashing through that ceiling. But I wish him well, and if he continues to refine things could be a star for years not moments.

Reply #607667 | Report this post

lawsy  
Years ago

I think his shit, but he looks half ok on a shit team. He is undersized, not a light outs shooter, and for me is a ball hog who looks for his shots too often.

Reply #607700 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great analysis Lawsy, sounds like you really know your hoops pal.

Analysis of Lawsy's post, "I think he's shit, he has nothing to really talk about, so he jumps on to add to a post he cares little about. Lawsy stokes his keyboard with the best of them."

Reply #607759 | Report this post

lawsy  
Years ago

Ok, mister no name, I'll use my 20 years hoops experience to analyze further for you.

1. He is undersized for a team guard to ever really excel at any professional level.
2. His passing and overall passing vision, I would rank about as good as an under 15 state player.
3. He is weak going left, he does not seem to be able to finish at all with his left hand
4. He is getting a lot of shots on a shit team. His shot selection is about as good as a under 10s Saturday comp
5. Overall I think his shit.
6. He is a poor 3pt shooter off the dribble.
7. He has a limited offensive tool bag.
8. I think he is a good SEAbL player

Reply #607785 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Wonder if it's of concern to Ferguson (aside from getting paid loads more) that he is relegated to the bench by Sobey, and struggling to influence the game? Could well be a wake-up call?

Reply #607789 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Sobey is 6'4, with long arms and outstanding athleticism. He's hardly undersized.

Reply #607792 | Report this post

lawsy  
Years ago

6"4 is a point guard in elite leagues. We are taking about his ceiling here Arnt we? So, his ceiling is an average player on a shit team in the Nbl? Is that where we are at?

Look at cadee- his smaller, but his a better shooter, can run an on ball screen and a decent passer- sobey more athletic but I'd take cadee everyday of the week over sobey.

Reply #607797 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

I think Sobey has taken the opportunity of Creek (and to a lesser extent DJ) being out with both hands and made the most of it. Will that be his regular role - not likely, but it's good to see he has the confidence to step up when needed. Similar to Damon Heuir in CNS whilst Trice is out.

I don't think anyone expected him to be the number 2 option on this team, but at the moment with the players ADL have out, he's doing a fantastic job.

Reply #607799 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

He's taller, and more athletic than Lisch, Jackson, Goulding, Gibson, Randle, Martinx2, Beal, Cadee, Blake, Webster, Woodside, Stockton, Trice, Ware.
Same height as Harris and Moore.
Every starting PG and most starting SGs.
Saying he's undersized is just silly.

Reply #607807 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's*

Reply #607835 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Lawsy...Cadee has only been good from range this season, previously he hasn't been that great!

My point here is...Sobey could develop all these things you suggest he lacks. Cadee has been in the league a lot longer and is only just starting to perform.

We are talking about ceiling here, not where he is currently at.

IMO...Sobey, with more development, could be anything - he has all the tools!

Reply #607850 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sobey 44% from three

49% from two

But he struggles to shoot? Lawsy, I'm glad your not in analytics.

Reply #607971 | Report this post

knowledge4all  
Years ago

I remember this same type of discussion about Joe Ingles saying he wasn't good enough to be a star in the NBL, too slow for athletic wings, not a consistent shooter etc....

Now look at him! He's one of if not the best player all-around on the boomers and he's in the NBA....

If you never played basketball those people should refrain from commenting...Sobey will be fine, he's proven he can play at not only at this level when given a chance...He played at a high level D-1 and just recently won a championship with his local club...Kid can play!

Reply #608040 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Non-players can comment. Maybe they just have a higher chance of being wrong.

Remember, once upon a time a certain former Boomer with a lot of playing and coaching experience could be said to have been wrong on Ingles...

Reply #608049 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:32 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754