Isaac
Years ago

Breakers vs Hawks, Nov 18

Breakers are 5-4 and third. Hawks are 4-5 and fifth. Both teams scored road wins last round.

Your tip?

Topic #40301 | Report this topic

Mystro  
Years ago

Breakers by 6 is my non biased tip

Reply #608387 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

Hawks are a fair way below the level I expected to them to be.

Only really hit their straps in the first game against Adelaide.

Individually most players are down on form and it is possible that the "if your open get your shot up regardless of where you sit in the pecking order" philosophy might be hindering the guns from finding any rhythm.

They might be 4/5 but two of those wins have been against Adelaide (one of those with DJ and Creek) and the other two against a Cats team with Martin and a decimated United squad.

They have not had a win against any full strength team bar the defenceless 36ers in Rd 1.

Bevo might need to adjust their playing style if things don't come together soon.

Big test this week as to where they are at.

Reply #608393 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

Meant without DJ and Creek and without Martin.

Reply #608394 | Report this post

AussiePride  
Years ago

Hawks aren't going well enough to win this on the road in NZ. Even though Cairns got them last week the Breakers would be very difficult to defeat at home with the form they are in. I think Breakers can win this by 10+

Reply #608591 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Hawks will need Breakers to play poorly, and then shoot the lights out to have a chance in this one. Possible but not likely. Breakers have been up and down from outside but they are capable of running up the score.
Stockton will really help Breakers because he has a shooter mentality that Woodside did not have, so I expect he has the green light. This will take the pressure off Webster who will be able to pick his moments.
Hawks could upset if it gets into a grind but I think Breakers will pull away in Q4 to win handily.

Reply #608603 | Report this post

Trev G  
Years ago

Beveridge is a flog

Reply #608605 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Hawks are still trying to click together, no doubt, but I don't think the beating teams at full strength argument carries much weight this season. Every team that functions as a team (ie everyone bar Melbourne) has had wins without significant pieces.

If Clarke starts making shots he normally makes things change very quickly for the Hawks. They have 7/10 at home to finish the season so crucial they pinch a few road wins in the coming weeks.

Reply #608619 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe Clarke doesn't make those shots anymore. He isn't anywhere near top shelf anymore.

Reply #608674 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Clarke has been very underwhelming this season and does look like he's had the 'gunner' attitude knocked out of him the past two years in Europe.

Will be interesting to see how Stockton goes.

Reply #608695 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Well LV, the Hawks making a strong case for the rubbish argument so far tonight. ;-)

Reply #608705 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Hah yeah I was about to say, they're at their defensive best!

Reply #608706 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

It's just amazing the difference between their best and worst basketball. Last week in Adelaide they were getting spanked and then flicked a switch. Glad I don't barrack for them.

Reply #608708 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

Bugger me.
The home cooking in this NZ game is atrocious.
The NBL needs to sort this crap ASAP if they want to build the sport.

Reply #608709 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Hawks haven't shown up!
21 down with6.51 left in 2nd. Conrad just hit a 3 to cut it to 18.

Reply #608711 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Stockton looks like a kid.

Reply #608712 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Illawarra's D *really is* atrocious tonight.

Where's AJ Ogilvy circa 2015/16, and what have you done with him? Bevo wants to know....

Reply #608713 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Taipans are very strong on D, so I hope Ware comes out aggressively and looks to push the pace. This team can get its mono back if it starts running.

The best and easiest way to score in basketball is in transition- before the D is set. And it doesn't have to be off TOs (although that helps). With a 5 game losing streak in play, Melbourne should be looking to push the ball every time they get a rebound, to get some cheap points and get some confidence back.

Reply #608715 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Oops wrong thread!

Reply #608716 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

DD will torch it.

Oops wrong thread :P

Reply #608718 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Haha.

Well Hawks have flipped a switch here.

Ie this is now somewhat of a contest. If that layup hasn't have rimmed out we could've had a single digit margin heading into the 4th! Who would've thought that a few minutes ago

Reply #608719 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

+1

Enetertaining game.

Why go to watch DD and United stink up the gym when you can stay home and get the NZ game and the United game back to back for free?

Reply #608720 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

If Beveridge can somehow get his team to play consistently they could be very dangerous (obvious comment I know), but I think they have to use that press more sparingly, it hurts them at least as much as it helps.

Big game for them Sunday, a loss will leave them at 4-7 after six home games with a big mountain to climb.

Reply #608752 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

Yeah. I get the press because he wants up tempo and the team goes deep but I don't get the press because their are SFA athletes in the team who are suited to that defensive style.

That first quarter was as bad a defensive effort as I have seen.

As I said the team is struggling and again everyone (bar Martin) was abysmal early on.

Breakers looking good but it could all turn around tomorrow.

Very hard to pick winners in this NBL.

Reply #608865 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:05 am, Wed 17 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754