Anonymous
Years ago

Is Thursday night basketball a good thing

I know this works in America but Aussies tend to be weekend sport watchers. The wildcats had their smallest crowd tonight only 10,000 not sure what the effect on other teams crowds has been? I remember Sydney played a Monday night game and that had a very small crowd

Topic #40304 | Report this topic

Luuuc  
Years ago

Good on them for playing around with the schedule to see what works. There's obviously going to be an attendance hit on a Thursday night, but if it's not too extreme then I like adding the extra night to the round.

Interesting the way they're using it for 2 pairs of home-away mini series. Perth-Sydney on Thur-Sat, and NZ-Illawarra on Fri-Sun, with the early start allowing both series to have a travel day between games, which you definitely need when Perth & NZ are involved.

Reply #608544 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is a 6:30 start in Perth on a week night hard to get to for many people? I know I'd struggle in Adelaide to get to a 6:30 week night game

Reply #608552 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We live in the outer suburbs in Perth. We still manage to get on the free train (for ticket holders.) sometimes it's hard for the missus, so I just meet her in there. For most, if you know the time in advance then you can work around your own scheduling issues.

Reply #608560 | Report this post

Andy  
Years ago

I like it, anything to spice up a boring weekday is good.

Reply #608582 | Report this post

AussiePride  
Years ago

At no time would I be complaining about getting 10000 to a game. At any measure that is a success. On a Thursday night is incredible.

Playing Monday and Thursday nights outside of the weekend is not intended to get big crowds but to keep a steady supply of product for those that follow the game on Foxtel and the NBL TV app. Smaller breaks between games keeps the interest up.

Big Bash cricket went through the roof when they started televising it almost every day of the week. It just became something that was expected and you can sit down and watch a game without having to think about what day the next one is on.

I am now almost expecting to be able to watch an NBL game every night and it is a disappointment when there is not one on.

This is not about just watching your team but watching the league.

Reply #608586 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As AP said the more nights the better, just get the app more reliable.

Reply #608596 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Nonsense.
Cats getting their smallest crowd for the year is clearly a negative.
People need to remember this is NOT the AFL.
The AFL now is basically a TV driven league, the NBL is not. Bums on seats is where the money is.

Sure, its not a massive hit for a team like the Wildcats, but what is the effect elsewhere?

Reply #608613 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

If CNS only got 10,000 we would go bankrupt, because we'd have to build a new stadium to host that many.

Reply #608618 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

Didn't look anywhere near 10k there.

Anyone got an official crowd figure?

Reply #608633 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

They shoulda made more noise about the discounts on StudentEdge and continue to create other sweeteners for Weekday games..

Reply #608639 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Cats getting their smallest crowd for the year is clearly a negative.
I think from memory there's been a game every season where the Cats have had their lowest crowd of the year. It's a concerning trend.

Reply #608651 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think the Thursday thing is something you do when your league is very popular and you want to take it to the next level by being ubiquitous. The NBL is not in this position and won't be for a few years

Reply #608663 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

NBL can't have 2 games at the same time, because they want all matches shown on TV. There's only so many timeslots

Reply #608666 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

I play on Thursdays (and Wednesdays) myself, so hopefully there aren't too many Sixers games that night this season.

Reply #608691 | Report this post

Nonanon  
Years ago

"I think from memory there's been a game every season where the Cats have had their lowest crowd of the year. It's a concerning trend."

Yes, but don't forgot that at least five* of the past six seasons, the Cats have had a game with their highest crowd.

*crowd figures unavailable for 2014.

Reply #608692 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wildcats crowd figure can be found on their instagram info-graphic that they usually post just after a home game.

Last night they had just over 10,300

Reply #608700 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Point is that TV does not rule as it does in other sports. Games should be scheduled to maximise attendance, not the number of people able to watch a web stream.

Doesn't personally bother me, a Thursday is just another night for me, but if it is shown to consistently hurt ticket sales, then that's not good.

Reply #608767 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Point is that TV does not rule as it does in other sports. Games should be scheduled to maximise attendance, not the number of people able to watch a web stream.
Have you paid any attention whatsoever to the moves the league has made in the last two years?

Reply #608782 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:32 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754