Dazz
Years ago

Where the F@#% to now for Perth?

Looks like its going to be one of THOSE seasons.

(Maybe its Karma for people making too many cracks about Violet Crumbles?)

Knight and Prather have been carrying the team offensively. WTF do we do now?

Who is even available as an injury replacement???
(I guess if this is season over, then we have the option of Walker. :-( )

McKay has been crook as a dog this week, but he needs to find something or we're in trouble.
Interesting to see how the Cats respond.

Topic #40314 | Report this topic

Watto  
Years ago

Looked like Johnson was injured too

Reply #609045 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

Wanna catch up for a beer Dazz so I can tell you how much the rest of the comp doesn't give a toss?

Suffer in ya jocks.

Reply #609047 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Must be karma for all the Dazz personnel changing threads

Reply #609048 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wildcats will be fine, they are top 2 now, should be around the GF again i reckon.

If JJ is hurt, wont be the worse thing, will give them an excuse to replace him for more of a combo guard which could suit them better

Reply #609050 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

I don't have any personnel, just me.

Reply #609053 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Perth just need to ride out the storm. The door is open for someone to step up.....who will it be?

Reply #609055 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe Perth can deactivate JJ. Now that's a gr8 idea no one has ever thought about that ever. Damm I'm good. Oh we hope they keep their finals appearances too. Like the Taker, once you have a -1 against you the former record is meaningless.

Reply #609056 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Can Lucas Walker come in as an injury replacement for Knight again?

Reply #609059 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

what an unlucky season so far, such a shame they can't stay healthy

Reply #609061 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Only if we deactivate one of the chairs near our home court bench

Reply #609062 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So where does Walker's salary come from? He isn't in the squad yet he's training there for free?
Clearly the Cats are paying him. How is that allowed?

Reply #609063 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Probably wait till Monday to see how bad the injury really is. Shoulder injury is really hard to assess until the person is well enough to test the full range of movement.

Reply #609065 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Such a shame.

Reply #609072 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great to see Perth not doing as good as usual. keeps things interesting, they've been up for so long would be great to see them miss the finals series.

Reply #609074 | Report this post

cats 4 life  
Years ago

Yea, need injuries for us to miss the finals! suck nuts!

Reply #609079 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Some people make it impossible not to enjoy the cats losing. Exhibit A.

Reply #609080 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Most teams in pro sport require injuries and variables of the like to miss finals etc So yeah its Perth's time potentially. Those nuts taste great.

Reply #609081 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Deez?

Reply #609082 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does anyone care? Nup.

Reply #609087 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth should go after a 2 guard who can penetrate and shoot the three and be a secondary playmaker. Right now they should be ok when Damo returns with him, Bragg and Kenny. Bragg is actually a capable combo guard. But those 3 should be enough at the 1. Plus Brandt, McKay, Redhage, Wagstaff and Hire should be enough to cover the big man rotation. Lucas Walker probably will replace Knight.

Reply #609089 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

I don't expect non-Perth fans to "care" (although sympathy for the individual player should be maintained.) Furthermore, yes I can understand that anything that brings the Cats back to the pack, or below is not only welcome in some quarters, but potentially even good for the league.
However the discussion about what direction they take with replacements etc should be of interest to some. If not, why do you bother posting?
Honestly, if you can't see how pathetic and juvenile it is to enter a thread purely to post "i dont kare suk egs Perf," then you are sadly short a chromosome or two.

Reply #609091 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

One of the best OP's I've seen in my countless hours wasted on internet forums.

Reply #609093 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It will be interesting to see if the league maintains its lets make perth play home and away every round attitude after the injuries this season. This was the first time in my recent memory that we have had a schedule full of games either side of the country and a minimum of east coast away double headers.

If you need scheduling advantages for success then enjoy your hollow victory. Just know you wish your organisation was half as well run as Perth. Whether you like it or not they are the model franchise in the NBL, get over it.

Reply #609094 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

In Regards to Walker, the (somewhat weird) rule is that we can only add him to replace a "season ending" injury. So hopefully for Matty it's not, and we can't.

As for whether he is getting paid and "how is that even allowed?" I'm not sure that's even a question?
The Wildcats, like anyone else, can employ somebody to do whatever they want. The Cats definitely have Training Players, maybe some of them get paid. Same way the kid making Nick's coffee gets paid, and the guy collecting the towels.
The rule as it is probably exists precisely for this reason, so that teams cannot effectively keep a 12th player up their sleeve all season.

I don't even know if Walker is still around, but if so it makes sense. The Cats need training players, and he would want to keep in practice in case another gig opens up somewhere. He's got a much better chance of a phone-call if he stays in shape, than if goes and starts driving a taxi to earn a crust.

Reply #609096 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Oh, I didn't even watch tonight, oops. Didn't read properly. Didn't mean to kick em while they are down

Reply #609097 | Report this post

Bol Bol  
Years ago

Its time to bite the bullet and replace Johnson with someone that can provide more offense. He shows glimpses of what he can do but goes missing for long periods. He seems to have a good few minutes after a rev up from the coach but the cats need more of a consistent scorer and outside threat.

Its a bit of a worry when knight and hire are hitting more three pointers than your guards

Reply #609099 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah I think Walker is still around, featured in their mannequin challenge at training last week (was actually his idea to do it) and i think I've seen him on the bench and in some training footage

Reply #609100 | Report this post

Years ago

Sign Nate Robinson problem solved

Reply #609102 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Perth dosent need a big to replace Knight because Brandt, Mckay, Wagstaff and redhage are more then enough . they need a pure 2 guard.Someone who can break defences down off the dribble. Kenny, Martin and Bragg are more then enough at the 1.I would look at someone who can penetrate and be a secondary playmaker/passer.
It will certainly be interesting to see if those guys can step up, and if not which direction the Cats take.

Whichever way you look at it, they need to find two locals. That's before we even start talking about replacing an import.

I won't re-hash the Damo debate for my 3rd or 4th time, so who's out there on the big-man front?
Only way I forsee Walker coming back (assuming Matty's injury is NOT season-ending) is if Redhage retires (with a "season-ending injury" :-()

Cameron Tragardh?
Luke Schenscher?
Jordan Vandenberg?
Matthew Burston???

I guess the point with both locals, is that unless we somehow jag somebody who's been cut in Europe, there's nobody capable of replacing the injured players, its about restoring depth and hopefully adding a role-playing option.

Reply #609103 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Burston would be the closest thing to knight as a local replacement. excellent defender/rebounder with terrefic finishing around the rim. Schenscher is to slow these days to be an effective force in the NBL

Reply #609109 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Didn't see today's game what is the story with knight?

Reply #609111 | Report this post

Duke Fan  
Years ago

Walker certainly appeared to be around when he had his head in the huddle after the win on Thursday

Reply #609116 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree with the Johnson statement. Small amounts of above average play doesn't really cut it in the NBL.

The whole de-activate/re-activate debarkle has been JJ's saving grace in keeping him in Perth. When we need him to step up he's a bit lacking. However, we need to give him time. When the pressure is on to make the playoffs, Perth fans can be pretty ruthless, I'm guilty of this as well.

Last home game I was thinking it's time to get rid of McKay and look for an import PG, until I heard he was very ill for the week leading up to the game. The reason for his limited minutes.

With Damo gone, it has given DKD and Bragg a chance to shine with valuable minutes they may not have had before Damon's injury. Now with Matty's injury it's a chance for our 2 other big boys to make their mark and for Hire and Wagstaff to have a bigger impact.

dropping from 1st to 4th is painful for a longtime wildcats fan. But this year, all the NBL games have been great. So being an NBL fan is also satisfying.

Reply #609136 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

^ Good post.

Shit happens, but hopefully we can still get some positives out of an unfortunate situation.

Reply #609139 | Report this post

Bill on the ball  
Years ago

Bragg has seized the day.

He would definitely be winning his permanency in this team.

If JJ can churn out more than 10 ppts a game, he should stay. Even Cadee can have a zero point game.

Reply #609141 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I've got no idea what any of you are on about. So we lost to the championship favourites on their court by 11 and its time turmoil time and time to sack people. After we beat them in the same fashion on our court a few days earlier. Ok...

Reply #609144 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

No, it's not "turmoil time."
We are down two players and need to replace them, that (at a minimum) is where we're at.
Whether we're able to find some semi-decent guys, or just run with DP's is the question.

The other question is whether our two new imports are going to perform to expectations, and if not, what if anything the Cats will do about it.
I think things would need to get pretty dire before they looked at sacking JJ again.
McKay has been ill, so we'll have to wait and see if he can step up in Matty's absence.

Along with Prather Matty has been one our offensive weapons in recent games, so without him it will be interesting to see if the other guys can step up to fill the void. We'll feel the loss, the question is how much. Time will tell.

Reply #609150 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"We'll feel the loss, the question is how much"

That is probably worth a thread of it's own Dazz

Reply #609153 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

McKay 25 / Brandt 15
Wagstaff 30 / Redhage 10
Prather 30 / Hire 10
Johnson 25 / Dexter 15
Kenney 25 / Bragg 15

It looks ok to me, it actually helps their balance now that we don't have to endure old man Redhage or Wagstaff playing the 3 spot. If Dexter shoots well backing up JJ, and Bragg keeps his level of play up they'll be just fine.

Reply #609164 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Knight has been injured fairly often since he's been here. Damo too. You move on and do the best you can. No big dramas. Yes we're weakened but it's next man up , no point crying out sacking imports because of it. We've already seen with Ingram that it's not a surefire success mixing things up even more

Reply #609180 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Perth are really well equipped to deal with Knights injury. Wagstaff and Redhage are both 4's although play a totally different game to that of Knight.

If they are looking at replacing Knights strength and size they can always look to Brandt to play a little of the 4 also. You can never really replace a player the calibre of Knight but they certainly have plenty of options without having to start talking about replacements or change to imports.

Reply #609188 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's time for Knight to retire. Too many shoulder injuries is a serious worry for his long term wellness.

Reply #609190 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

The Cats WILL replace Damo & Matty, it is merely a question of who.
At a minimum, we suit up Bragg and Vague.

As for the imports, that's really a separate (but all related) issue.
You wouldn't replace McKay just "because Matty got injured." They might replace him if he's not living up to expectations and they had someone better in mind.

Not going to rehash it, but yes the whole JJ/Ingram farce was embarrassing and I wouldn't want to see a repeat.

Reply #609192 | Report this post

Capt. Obv.  
Years ago

Listen people why do I have to keep telling you this we will replace injured players it's not like we are going to suit up only 8 guys next game. I predict we will replace Martin with this guy called Bragg and I'm a great predictor I'm telling you I have the best predictions. Just wait and see.
I really don't want another import even though just the other day I mentioned getting Cedric Jackson. I'm not going to rehash it now but in a few hours I'll start a whole new thread and rehash it to death there. Stay tuned you won't want to miss it because I make the best threads.

Reply #609195 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How about deactivate JJ. Now there's a thought.

Reply #609199 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

If you want to replace one of the imports my advice is that you need to get someone who is in the NBA because apparently those not in the NBA are not wanted by the NBA.

I have read lots of posts and apparently this is quite important for some reason.

Reply #609202 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Gleesons a flog

Reply #609204 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Lolz at players who aren't in the NBA fstos.

Reply #609205 | Report this post

TimberBall  
Years ago

I was at the game behind the bench, when Knight came over he couldn't lift his arm. The trainer ran him through a few movements then stepped back and Matty put his head in his hands and went to the rooms. If body language is something to judge by, he's gone for the year.

As for a replacement there's no like for like out there. Walker isn't a binside banger he's an outside 4 just like redhage and wagstaff. Mckay is to slight to really muscle in on th O boards a Brandt is wayyyyyyyy to slow on D, Brandt will need to play more minutes but he'll be in foul trouble every game.

With the latest injuries, IMO starting 5 should be:
Bragg
JJ
Prather
Hire/wagstaff/redhage (in no order, all the same)
McKay
And play fast!!

But Gleeson is a dumb shit that will keep Kenny on the floor despite 3 straight TOs and then get called for a Tech when we have momentum.

Reply #609208 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Perth should be giving Burston a call. They don't need him to be a superstar, just play some D, change shots and make the odd basket.

Reply #609209 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Did I hear correctly during todays game Rosen said Knight is out for 6 weeks? If so probably best to keep him out for 8 weeks given his previous shoulder injuries. It's probably close to the point now of ruling a line through this season for Perth I think.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing but looks like they might've made a mistake giving Redhage another season.

Reply #609211 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Matt Burston and McKay together would be rim protection +, but who knows what Burstons situation is, if he's even in shape.

This hurts them more on the offensive end tho

Reply #609214 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Article today says the Cats "are hoping star forward Matt Knight will be cleared of serious injury to his shoulder when he has scans on Monday."
So not sure how long that means, I guess we wait to hear after the scans.

Reply #609225 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Knight is cleared of any serious injuries regarding his shoulder it's a major boost to the Cats title chances.

For me it's a healthy Perth and Kings title to win.

Reply #609233 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't get the panic in this thread title. Look at new Zealand and Illawarra. They've spanked each other one each over the weekend. The highs and lows of a season. Don't overreact and panic

Reply #609241 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

After watching Thursday game I though gee whiz the cats could win the title. After Saturday I thought gee we've got some more work to do. As they say, the truth is somewhere in the middle.

Reply #609242 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree with zodiac, redhage should never have been given another year. I had hoped when knight came back from injury and after redhage's milestone game he would have stepped down to open up a spot for walker. I like the energy walker provided in limited minutes, Perth appears to be a great fit for him. Hire's ability in the NBL is limited and it looks as though Wagstaff's best years are behind him, with that in mind Perth have very little depth. However guys like DKD and Bragg have really stepped up which is promising for the future.

Reply #609245 | Report this post

whitewind  
Years ago

redhage can play a role in this situation though. Knight was actually helping spread the floor in offense. He offers outside shots (long 2pts, not talking about those 2 3pters on the weekend). McKay doesnt offer that. Id like to see redhage come on and help us spread the 4 man out to the 3pt line. In all that will have decreased, his 3pt shot is reliable. He needs to get that up and working for us.

Reply #609263 | Report this post

Farrison Hord  
Years ago

Burston is officially retired & staying in Queensland.

So that has absolutely 0 chance of occurring.

Reply #609272 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Knight cleared of any structural damage to the joint. Further tests to be done in 24 hours.

Reply #609320 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Sounds like good news, but I imagine he could still be out for a few weeks.

Reply #609322 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Ok, my bad. That was s storm in a teacup.
Some said it looked like it was dislocated, Boti said we were going to reactivate Walker...
and now they say "no damage and rest for a day before we test again"

Reply #609365 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A problem with basketball going more mainstream is that we will get more morons like Dazz.

Reply #609600 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Cats just ordered a playing strip for Matt Nielsen.

Reply #609939 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:11 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754