Aussie
Years ago

Aussie NBA players at 2019 World Cup?

Can someone please explain the new qualification system for the 2019 World Cup?

Is it likely that any of our Aussie NBA players will play for the Boomers at the 2019 World Cup?

Topic #40325 | Report this topic

rjd  
Years ago

The qualification process is explained here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlHjj0S9zIM

I struggle to see how our NBA players can have much involvement in the qualification games prior to the 2019 World Cup, but I would expect that the World Cup will have NBA players involved.

Reply #609551 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Spot on RJD

Reply #609556 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

So basically we should expect NBL players to get us to qualify for the World Cup?

And IF we qualify, our Aussie NBA players will play for the Boomers at the 32 team event.

Have I got this right?

Is it the same for future Olympic Games?

Reply #609557 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

That would be close. Our NBL players will have to get us qualified based on the format. Then we select the best team for the World Cup.

Reply #609558 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Yeah, this new system was announced a while ago and the dates are unfortunate. Australia get screwed the most out of any Asian country due to the fact we have so many, and will have so many NBA players.

Reply #609559 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

We don't really get screwed. We only have to finish in the top seven teams in Asia (most likely top eight this time given China are the host) to make the World Cup.

Then if we finish above NZ at the WC we get automatic qualification to the Olympics. If we finish below NZ we go into an Olympic qualifying tournament.

It will be interesting to see how many of our NBA players are used in the June/July WC qualifying window (possibly those whose teams miss playoffs or have an early exit), while you’d think most will play in the September window.

Reply #609561 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

What it does do, is make consistency and chemistry extremely hard because we're switching from B team to A team. If there's one thing that's going to help Australia in the future in getting WC or Olympic top 3, it's experience and chemistry together as a squad.

Last Olympics I think Australia had a bit of that going for them and IMHO with the rise of Canada and a few others,we can't just expect to put together our best talent chuck them out there and expect success.

Reply #609564 | Report this post

ME  
Years ago

"What it does do, is make consistency and chemistry extremely hard because we're switching from B team to A team. If there's one thing that's going to help Australia in the future in getting WC or Olympic top 3, it's experience and chemistry together as a squad.

Last Olympics I think Australia had a bit of that going for them and IMHO with the rise of Canada and a few others,we can't just expect to put together our best talent chuck them out there and expect success.
"

Out of the 4 qualifying windows, 2 will be during the NBA off season. We will get the same amount of time with our NBA guys as we always have.

Reply #609614 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

We should have NBA players available for the FIBA Cup next year given it's held in August.

Bit weird though that 16 teams play the Asian Cup to try to qualify for 14 spots for the WCQ. Makes it a bit redundant.

Reply #609632 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

There are only seven WC spots from Asia, plus host China.

Reply #609641 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

16 teams in the Asian Cup. 14 teams in World Cup Qualifying. 7 teams from Asia make it to the final.

" The top 14 teams of the 2017 FIBA Asia Cup will qualify for the Division A for FIBA Asia and FIBA Oceania World Cup qualifiers."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_FIBA_Basketball_World_Cup_qualification#FIBA_Asia_and_FIBA_Oceania

Reply #609914 | Report this post

Flip  
Years ago

If we don't finish top 7 in Asia, we don't deserve to be there

Reply #609995 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:43 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754