new name please
Years ago

Steve Blake leaves Kings, returns home

Steve blake is going back to the united states indefinitly to be with his sick wife

Topic #40352 | Report this topic

Freethrows  
Years ago

Looks like this site has dropped the ball again. The obvious question is: where's your proof?
Do you have a source, or is this wishful thinking? A joke?

Reply #610255 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

NO he's been deactivated.

Reply #610263 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Looks like the ball has been picked up again Free Throws:

http://www.foxsports.com.au/basketball/sydney-kings-loss-to-nbl-cellar-dwellers-adelaide-compounded-by-nba-stars-return-to-america/news-story/704892553c065c678cc95fa1b2ac34b3

Reply #610264 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

Freethrows --- search is your friend ;)

looks like the joke may be on you.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/basketball/86972791/Slumping-Sydney-Kings-lose-star-import-Steve-Blake

Reply #610265 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's not that difficult FT's, seriously.

Reply #610266 | Report this post

Jay  
Years ago

You sure it's not because he's on the bench in crucial parts of the game? I say have a look at the united game . And there is a point late in the 4th when the camera is on Gaze, Steve Blake behind him can be seen burinig a hole in the back of Gaze's head visably annoyed.

Reply #610267 | Report this post

Jay  
Years ago

I thought to myself then he would leave

Reply #610268 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Kings need someone more athletic in the backcourt anyway. If they can pick up a 3&D SG to come off the bench I think they'll be better balanced.

Reply #610269 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

Watch Cadee's production go back to 20+ vs Hawks now.

Reply #610275 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kings press release says it is a private matter

Reply #610282 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He was a good presence to have but his on court production could be matched by most imports they can find. The big x factor for this kings team is the eventual return of Julian Khazzouh

Reply #610284 | Report this post

Another Anon  
Years ago

If he was deactivated, surely the Cats need to give him a call?

Reply #610289 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

if I was going to sign a retired NBA cheapish point guard I would go Jannero Pargo. Great shooter whose a gun from 3. Would shoot the pants off blake.

Reply #610291 | Report this post

je  
Years ago

"Kings need someone more athletic in the backcourt anyway. If they can pick up a 3&D SG to come off the bench I think they'll be better balanced."

I think this is what Michael Bryson was meant to provide (in theory at least).

Reply #610297 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Yes, and in theory was all he delivered!

Reply #610298 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Every import released due to poor performance has a personal matter to attend to.

Reply #610299 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

One rumour is he's headed home to nurse his sick ankles after Adam Doyle put him on skates ;-)

Reply #610306 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

In his 8 games with the Kings Blake averaged 5.9ppg, 2.5rpg, 2apg shooting 29% from the field and 27% on 3pts.

Reply #610307 | Report this post

BigAds  
Years ago

I am disappointed to see him go but he didn't really get close to delivering what most had hoped.

Arhhh, the NBL where not even unwanted NBA players are wanted. (Now if only he had been better equipped to deal with a full court press).

But seriously, I wish him all the best and I hope his reasons for returning home do not prove to be overly problematic for him and his family.

Reply #610312 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

@Very Old - no joke on me, I was just responding to a post I didn't have time to research the veracity of, and was looking for a reference. Thanks to @paul for providing one.

Reply #610314 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Didn't have time to google, but happy to doubt the veracity and post

Reply #610324 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

Just asked the question. Didn't mean to cause offence. Sheesh!

The point about the site dropping the ball was only that there had been more comments on the post before I looked, and they had all disappeared. It was nothing about the OP.

Reply #610341 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

sure - but you will admit that on the face of it "Looks like this site has dropped the ball again." needs a :) after it , else it reads as just a trolling complaint.

all good

Reply #610348 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Kings waiting on Blake:

The club is hopeful Blake, 36, who replaced Michael Bryson, could return, the Kings having no plans to find a replacement.

"There's definitely no plans afoot to bring in anyone new," Kings communications manager Jeremy Hartcher said.

“Right now the club is just trying to give Steve as much space as he needs without feeling any pressure.

“We’re definitely waiting, and hoping, he will be back.”

Reply #610558 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sounds like they are searching for a replacement asap based on above.

Reply #610562 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Blake had looked better to me the last couple of games. Actually turned down a few of the 'not quite open' looks on Monday that he had been firing up previously. Still don't know why we ran so few pick-and-rolls with him and Powell, and why we didn't have him playing on the ball more in general. He's not really a spot up shooter, but that's exactly how he played him.

I'm assuming he's not back, in which case we need a backup ball handler pretty badly.

Reply #610564 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

http://audioboom.com/posts/5339894-gaze-it-s-highly-unlikely-steve-blake-will-return-to-the-nbl

Gaze on EON sports radio, sounded like he was pretty sure of how Blake will decide on his future with the Kings.

@AngusH Not sure if backup ballhandler is what they really need mate. Cadee did quite ok doing what Blake was doing before his arrival, Newley and Whittington seemed pretty capable bringing up the ball as well. Both did quite a bit of that when they press deny the guards.

I think they would do better with a decent athletic defender that can lock down opposing quick guards and can slash/dribble penetrate ala Marvelle Harris putting opponents under foul pressure. They're a nightmare to guard when defending teams in bonus foul problem.

Reply #610565 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Problem would be if Cadee or Lisch went down with injury. Newley can handle it OK, but not sure I want to be down to one true ball-handler.

Reply #610614 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Yeah I agree the bigger need is a lockdown defender... Would be good to have a player out there that we can chuck at opposition guards as it's a tough ask to get Kev to constantly work that hard at both ends... Blake would get constantly beaten by the players he was guarding, especially that last game against the 36ers...

Reply #610771 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:53 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754