Anonymous
Years ago

There's enough talent for 9 teams already

There's some players on benches who could easily get more minutes but can't because the ledge is too concentrated with eight teams.

Here's a suggested expansion lineup which wouldn't affect the current teams

G - Dexter drew
G - Lucas Walker
F - Jeromie hill
F - majok Deng
C - Angus Brandt
F - Dion pester
G - Damon heier
G - Mitch McCain
F - Mitchell young
G - Rhys Martin

Then remember you can add three imports
This would be a competitive team. Young i know but young guys are going to want opportunity sooner or later and might not get it in an eight team comp

Topic #40422 | Report this topic

Hendo8888  
Years ago

That team most definitely wouldn't be a competitive team. Unless the 3 imports were all Randle level.

Reply #611816 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Yes, definitely enough. There are half-decent players scrounging for minutes on most teams.

11 players and three imports are redundant and lead to stats and brand recognition spread across too many players. If they don't add a team next season, I think they should seriously consider cutting both of these changes.

Reply #611818 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

I'm expecting 10. At least another NZ one out of the two and create a rivalry there while at it.

Reply #611821 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

There are players overseas like Madgen and Bose who could be lured back. Carter, Bartlett, Burston, Traghard, Henry, Hill all could play apart on any expansion team.

Reply #611822 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Mitch McCain is a great talent

Reply #611823 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

McCain or McCaron?

Reply #611824 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Adding teams really comes down more to the viability of the team. Reality is, that like Brisbane, they would chase a balance of players to field a competitive team, they wouldn't need to be content with everyone else's leftovers.

I was sorry to see the Crocs go. I would love to see the return of the Falcons, a 2nd NZ team, a 2nd Melbourne team, maybe even a Tassie team. All it really requires is MONEY.

The problem is people keep equating better players with a better league, and the money being spent by the big budget clubs, including bringing guys back from Europe, follows that trend. Unfortunately that means that some of the semi-decent locals are nolonger up to the quality. The 5 under $400k rule was supposed to address that, but I'm not sure its working at some teams.

Personally, I would like to see a return to the days when you had a 12 player roster, but could only suit up 10 for the game. That has been somewhat replaced with the formalised DP program, but that IMHO is too restricted and favours teams who can afford to keep players outside the cap.
It would also mean that teams weren't scrabbling for injury replacements, and make it easier for fringe guys like Walker to get a full-time role.

I also think that if they're going to continue with the big budget clubs luring back Aussies from Europe, then they need to tighten up the interplay between that and the import rules.

Reply #611825 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Here's a suggested expansion lineup which wouldn't affect the current teams
Mitch McCain, Dion Pester, Dexter Drew, and Damon Heier are all currently without NBL contracts, so that obviously has no effect, but then you go on to list two of Perth's limited number of bigs and Rhys Martin.

Reply #611827 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sorry what I meant was not materially affect the current teams. By that I mean the players are either playing very little minutes or their team already has good depth. For example Illawarra has Norton and Clarke who are starting calibre point guards do they really need another in Rhys Martin?

As dazz correctly points out a new club wouldn't necessarily have to have ask the scraps they might poach a starter which means these young guys get an opportunity to be a key bench guy or a starter which they are already capable of but can't fill that role because their teams are too deep.

Jerome hill is one of the miso promising young bigs in the league yet can't even get off the bench that's a travesty

Reply #611831 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Angus Brandt showed signs last year he could be a starting centre in this league but his role is now small when you have McKay, knight, wagstaff redhage to use as well in the big positions.

Lucas wallet is a genuine rotation player on this league. Athletic and experienced. Yet he sits on the bench in a polo shirt every game

Reply #611832 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Another prime example is Brisbane. Do you really need Daniel kickert, Tom Jervis, cam bairstow, drew Petrie *and* Michel young on the one team? Most likely one of the better bigs gets recruited then young can play a proper backup role with Brisbane

Reply #611835 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Drew Petrie also does not have a contract in the NBL ;)

Reply #611839 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Sorry what I meant was not materially affect the current teams. By that I mean the players are either playing very little minutes or their team already has good depth.
You're leaving Jameel McKay and whatever's left of Matt Knight as Perth's only bigs.

Illawarra has Norton and Clarke who are starting calibre point guards do they really need another in Rhys Martin?
I can think of lots of words to describe Rotnei Clarke, 'starting calibre' and 'point guard' are not among them.

You obviously missed their game in NZ earlier in the year where Rhys Martin was the only reason they weren't down 50 at quarter time.

I agree with you when it comes to guys like Drew, Heier, Pester, McCain, Wallet, Drew Petrie and Michel Young, though.

I hope this is intentional...

Reply #611842 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

Not a bad idea for a thread. It's a shame the OP has no idea who the players he's talking about actually are. Does nobody bother trying to spell things correctly, these days? It does make it a bit of an effort to work out who you're talking about if you're not going to get their name right.

G - Dexter drew - Dexter Kernich-Drew
G - Lucas Walker - is a forward, not a guard
F - Jeromie hill
F - majok Deng
C - Angus Brandt
F - Dion pester - Dion Prewster
G - Damon heier - Damon Heuir
G - Mitch McCain - Mitch McCarron
F - Mitchell young
G - Rhys Martin

Not really an NBL ready team.
Martin/Heuir
McCarron/Kernich-Drew
Deng/Prewster
Walker/Hill
Brandt/Young
You'd need import starters at 2, 3 and 4 or 5. Even then, they'd be hard pressed to be competitive.

Burston and Tragardh are retired. I don't know about Rhys Carter or Leon Henry, are either of them still going? Neither would really push any of the above out of the rotation, would they?

Reply #611843 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

And some College seniors and some dudes in europe NBL could easily have 9 teams

Reply #611844 | Report this post

Edward  
Years ago

LMAO at 'Dion Pester'

Seriously though expansion is a must once there is enough stability to bring in more teams. 10 is a good number.

I would favour a second international team and the return of a team that already have a strong identity and some inbuilt support. Either of Newcastle Falcons or Townsville Crocs coming back would be absolutely terrific.

Reply #611847 | Report this post

Edward  
Years ago

I don't think Bose is good enough any more tbh. Madgen could probably still be an NBL starter and there are a few Aus players in college that will be NBL quality.

Reply #611848 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"You'd need import starters at 2, 3 and 4 or 5. Even then, they'd be hard pressed to be competitive."

Depends which imports you get. If they choose wisely, they could be competitive.

Reply #611849 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

According to the recent article posted in another thread, the NBL is looking to bring more Asian stars to our teams as well. If the players listed above aren't enough, then these could put them over the edge.

Reply #611851 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

Expansion draft works/worked in the NBA because when you involuntarily find yourself in a new team several hundred or thousands of miles away from where you were,but with a 2-5 year contract of 2-10 million @ year - you don't have any real economic worries re finding a place to live , or taking the family car with you and not being able to afford a second car for the family that stayed behind.

You won't be sitting in a change room hearing from the chairman of the team license holder how he is wanting to close up shop because he's worried he wont be able to pay his kids private school fees ( big shout out there to Bernie )

The viabilty of NBL teams does not rest firstly on the depth of player talent pool, or even on your on-court competitiveness, its the quality of the management decisions and the stability of the revenue flow.

Reply #611854 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Drew Petrie also does not have a contract in the NBL ;)
WISH he DID.

Reply #611863 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Trying to work out where OP was trolling with all those spelling mistakes

Reply #611866 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

If you took all those second-string players from the current teams they would be too weak. The strength of the league at the moment is the depth of the rosters, when a starter goes off or there is an injury they are being replaced by someone decent, instead of a token development player.

At the start of the season you would have included Sobey in that list. Imagine how bad ADL would be situated if they had let him go before they knew Creek was going to have a long term injury.

Reply #611884 | Report this post

Hoopie  
Years ago

If you're judging that they wouldn't be good enough based on what they've shown so far, stuck down the end of a bench or past their peak, then think how much better they might become if given lots of playing time under a good coach.

Sobey is an obvious example of someone who really stepped up once he got more playing time. And some of the older players probably were in a rut and just need a change.

Reply #611893 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sorry about the spelling mistakes guys I was writing from my phone

Reply #612372 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:18 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754