Isaac
Years ago

Simon Dwight retires

The NBLs all-time greatest shot-blocker has retired due to persistent knee injuries.

Dwight debuted in the League in 1995 for the Canberra Cannons settling there for four seasons. He joined the Razorbacks as a foundation player in 1998/99 and before his retirement, was the sole remaining foundation player with the club.

Razorbacks CEO Robbie Cadee payed tribute to Dwight.

"Simon has had a marvellous career in the NBL and with the Razorbacks," said Cadee. "He helped start up and build this club. He has been with us since day one and leaves massive shoes to fill. We are very sad to lose him."
1,000+ blocked shots is a considerable legacy.

Topic #4043 | Report this topic

Kent Brockman  
Years ago

Big loss to the NBL, always loved Dwights game first real big that could shoot with range.

Will remember him most though for being posterised by Darnell.

You got to wonder what may have been had he taken his NBA deal.

I am sure NBA minimum dollars in the bank would be handy right now.

Reply #46959 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

Farley posterised him in the 02 GF as well. It was huge, and then they got into a shoving match the next game!

Reply #46962 | Report this post

thedoctor  
Years ago

Farley missed that dunk, but was fouled.

Reply #46966 | Report this post

michaelredd  
Years ago

loved dwighty when he was at the cannons, definately should of taken the chance with his nba deal

Reply #46970 | Report this post

Dr Bullshit  
Years ago

Loved to watch him. Always an underrated player, everyone forgets that he could score aswell as play D.

Reply #47005 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

Kent, I reckon if Dwight had taken his NBA opportunities this retirement announcement would have come a fair bit sooner, 82+ games a season isn't really what the doctor ordered if you've got dodgy knees!!

Reply #47102 | Report this post

Kriss  
Years ago

Did he miss it!?!@

I remember the advertiser printed out a half page review and had that dunk on the page in full, i thought it went down.

What about Matt Garrison that year...he had a head like the grim reaper!

Reply #47115 | Report this post

dicko  
Years ago

great player. should have been a townsville croc one year if i recall correctly...the negotiations fell through.

Reply #48016 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Was a dam good shotblocker

Reply #764682 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:15 pm, Tue 23 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754