Anonymous
Years ago

Cairns Vs Kings - Fearney tales 9/12

JVG has had a dig at Fearne for this clash. The rich Vs the poor.

Kings $1.74 Taipans $1.95

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/basketball/kings-tee-off-over-taipans-fearney-tales/news-story/d7223dde8ed88858138fc26d5d7f069a

Topic #40433 | Report this topic

Freethrows  
Years ago

JVG: "Cairns do not lose at home, they are the only team to lose at home just once this year."
They are also the only team to have only played four home games this year.

I doubt Fearne would even raise an eyebrow to this story.

Reply #611997 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Cairns to get this in a close one at home.

Reply #611998 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

Following on from my dismissal of JVG's comments about "Fearny Tales", I do think the Snakes will do a good job of looking after their home court tonight.

Taipans by 9.

Reply #612010 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

Oh JVG.......

Reply #612035 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Looking forward to this game, can't see cairns losing at home. Cairns by three.

Reply #612091 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I got a bad feeling Trice is going to hurt us tonight.

Reply #612106 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Maybe I'm just a totally biased Kings fan, but those fouls called on Whittington/Powell/Tommy inside looked pretty darn soft on the replay. The offensive foul on Powell and Prewster's reach were dumb, but the others? Not so sure.

Reply #612112 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Jawai just Maric'ed Lisch around the neck there, obviously a no-call.

Reply #612115 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

What are Sydney planning on doing with the 3rd import spot? Are they replacing Blake? Or just riding the season out with who they have?

Reply #612116 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I don't think there's any indication what they're going to do, but I imagine it won't be any thing huge, just a backup PG/SG who won't bring all the attention that a Blake signing did.

Reply #612119 | Report this post

AussiePride  
Years ago

Perth would have loved to have had 2016/2017 Jawai

Significant upgrade on 2015/2016 Jawai

Reply #612120 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

15/16 Jawai was still enough for a title, but yeah I'm pleased to see how he has improved since

Reply #612121 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Fearne is a big part of "15/16" Jawai, IMO.

Don't see Kings taking this one, we just don't have any mojo up in North QLD it seems. We've looked shaky ever since the first couple of minutes and aren't getting enough back-to-back stops to do more than drag ourselves back to 4 or 6 points before we turn it over or post up Tommy.

I think we've been a bit hard done by on the foul calls, but you have to give credit to Cairns - Fearne has these guys playing like a well oiled machine on both ends.

Reply #612122 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

^^ Fearne is a big part of "16/17" Jawai, even.

Reply #612123 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Some of kings defence is woefull.

Reply #612124 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I'll take back that "hard done by" comment after that Jawai foul.....

Reply #612125 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

This choke could prove a lot more costly than Maric's on Wortho.

Reply #612128 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I'm happy to get the win, but I'd be pissed off I was a Cairns fan after that Jawai foul... That totally changed the game.

Reply #612129 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Just watched the last few minutes of the game, I'm wondering why Fearne didn't sub in Edwin particularly with the Kings running 2-3 zone? I thought he hit a few clutch 3s last few games vs. Kings.

Reply #612131 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

what did JVG say about the league not being fixed?.......

Edwin's got a knee issue from what i've heard.

Reply #612132 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Refs cost the Snakes the chance to win the game. Equally Cairns letting the Kings score 31 to 15 would never see the Snakes win.
Happy with the bet on the under dog. NOw for United to make the double.

Reply #612133 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

The final quarter refereeing was a one-sided disgrace. CNS had 5 team fouls after about 2:30. The first SYD foul was called at the 8:00 mark once SYD had a 6 point lead.

Reply #612162 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah go back and look at all the fouls Cairns had. Other than the Jawai non foul they were all correct. One sided yes, because they were fouls.

Reply #612164 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

I've got no real problems with the fouls being called on CNS (except for the Jawai non foul you mentioned). But SYD were playing the same and not having anything called. Cadee and Lisch were fouling on most defensive plays but seem to be the NBL's golden boys.

Reply #612177 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wrong. The Cairns fouls were so blatant it was stupid. The Kings may have fouled but no one will ever call those border line ones. The game has left the refs behind. I am sick and tired of seeing so many blatant travels NOT CALLED. Fouls not being called is equally as bad. NOw we have video revue because the refs can't get it right.
Then we have the NBL reviewing the tapes after the game, because a team complained about a call and then they cite a player. Simply because the refs either thought there was noting in it, or they simply missed it.

Reply #612187 | Report this post

Jumpshot  
Years ago

Fouls in 1st quarter against Kings were very soft or non-existent. Lucky to get that win.

Reply #612241 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

Cairns benefited early from calls and then were on the end of some late, especially the phantom foul on Jawai.
Their missed 3s and turnovers down the stretch had a bigger impact on the result though, they just didn't work out the zone well enough.

Reply #612251 | Report this post

George  
Years ago

What a disgraceful refereeing performance!! Cairns whistled out of it in the last quarter.

Still that is no surprise as the NBL only wants the big city teams in the finals!!

Reply #612254 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Wilbekin probably would've won us that game. Just saying

Reply #612261 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

Only if he has a whistle

Reply #612264 | Report this post

Indominos-Rex  
Years ago

So much salt LMAO

Reply #612269 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Yeah Podge, unnecessarily salty. I'm annoyed too, but you've got to be logical. It was a nuclear meltdown dude.

The refs weren't the reason for those five turnovers and 2/10 3pt in the last quarter.

Reply #612277 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

It's hard to get any sort of momentum though when the refs are blowing the whistle so much, especially once they were in the penalty.

Reply #612281 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

How is that an argument? We had the ball but simply didn't make plays. We struggle against zone D, simple as that.

No one has complained about the bunch of first-half fouls and stop-start nature of the game. We were massively advantaged by that and all the calls Jawai was receiving.

You know who was good at managing an offence against any sort of D? Wilbekin.

Reply #612283 | Report this post

Matt  
Years ago

The NBL want Cairns/Townsville Nth QLD merger, they don't even want a stand alone Cairns team. Cairns got robbed.

Reply #612286 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

Cairns has a representative on the commission (Beecroft) and Garrone is on the NBL board (or was last I heard).

Not sure where this whole anti-Taipans thing is coming from. Do fans really think the NBL is directing referees to call games against Cairns so they lose?

Pass the tinfoil...

Reply #612287 | Report this post

Twinkletoes  
Years ago

@snooch said "Cairns benefited early from calls and then were on the end of some late, especially the phantom foul on Jawai.
Their missed 3s and turnovers down the stretch had a bigger impact on the result though, they just didn't work out the zone well enough."

@Manu Fieldel said “We had the ball but simply didn't make plays. We struggle against zone D, simple as that.
No one has complained about the bunch of first-half fouls and stop-start nature of the game. We were massively advantaged by that and all the calls Jawai was receiving.”

I agree with the above comments from @snooch and @Manu Fieldel

I would add that although we got some ordinary calls in the last quarter, at least a couple of the first 4 fouls we incurred in that quarter (thus putting us into penalty from then on ) were careless in my opinion.

Reply #612289 | Report this post

Twinkletoes  
Years ago

This was the 3rd game in a row where the Taipans have surrendered a 15+ point lead. The previous 2 games we held on largely due to big plays from Trice. I don't think we were playing as well in this game as we were in the other 2.

We have a very good and well balanced team but need to be better under pressure (particularly when we are having a lead chased down).

Reply #612293 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thought Gaze and Vickerman coached extremely well against a seasoned pro in Fearne, I throw Vickerman in there because I saw gaze give him one big hug at the end which makes me think it was his idea to go zone D. Great game as nearly all are this season.

Reply #612294 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

haha unnecessary salt? I'm shocked and appalled at the allegation.

the zone gave us issues, unless Jawai was on the court. They were doubling down on him the whole night, he doesn't get fouled out..... who knows.....

Reply #612297 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

I'd say 9/10 we don't lose with Jawai there but the fact is we screwed the pooch, Podge. Unfortunate, but you've got to face facts.

Reply #612324 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Refs are terrible the NBL does nothing about the problem. The kids on the way up are taught poorly.

Reply #612354 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

I thought Fearnes coaching from the start looked a bit odd.
He was over animated/erratic very early...
And what was the subbing of 3 players at once at a very crucial time.....maybe 20 up with 1 minute to go is a better time for that??

Not his best performance.

Reply #612434 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

Why are you surprised my friend? Fearne did it the previous game also,subbed in 4 bench guys & lost all momentum? Jobs for the boys in Cairns,so no change coming unfortunately!

Reply #612528 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

Jobs for the boys?? wtf I mean it is a men's basketball team.... so... there's that..

Reply #612572 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:17 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754