Dazz
Years ago

Jaron Johnson - Opinions?

Ok, so what's everyone's current opinions of this guy?
And how should the Cats be using him?

Cats are at the half-way mark, and sit 7:7.

And yeah, I suppose you can opine whether you agree with Heal, should the Cats sack him again???

Gotta be honest, I thought he showed a lot of promise early, I was surprised when he was sacked, and happy when he was reinstated.

Not sure now, and not really understanding how he's being used.

Topic #40449 | Report this topic

Bill on the ball  
Years ago

I think he should come in from the bench. Push him to play aggressive, which he had shown he can.

Look he has a three point shot too plus he can go to the hoop. So I don't think they will deactivate him anymore.

The guys have to create the space for him.

Reply #612296 | Report this post

cats 4 life  
Years ago

Playing scared, needs to relax and Gleeson to stop splattering his minutes. You get let go once, back of his mind he doesn't want that to happen again.

He has stepped up at crucial times for his team, liked him from the start. If fires and a big if, then will go along way to making the playoffs.

Reply #612312 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's slowly turning the corner and I think Gleeson is learning how and what situations to use him in.

Gleeson gave two of the biggest fist pumps I've seen from him on two of Johnson's good plays (the 3QT buzzer beater) and then the 3-point play in transition early in the fourth.

I think Trev senses he is very important to how far they go this year.

Coming off the bench puts him in more situations where he is one of the primary scorers on the court instead of sharing all his time with the likes of Prather and Knight and then standing in the corner most of the time. Sure, he can make 3s doing that but it probably gets him into that "less aggressive" mindset. Coming off the bench is a small tweak, but might help put him in the right frame of mind.

I'm still optimistic about the Cats. We've lost our captain and best defender for several games, and we've replaced Beal, Jawai and Jervis (experienced players) with Johnson, McKay and Brandt. Some bumps were to be expected but hopefully these younger guys can take the lessons learned from the first half of the season and turn it into good form in the second half.

Reply #612320 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Certainly once Damo returns, I think he come's off the bench, but still good minutes. Not sure about now.

Reply #612323 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Keep the guy that they were prepared to throw under the bus, and reactivate.

Reply #612355 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Bit of thread mine...

Overall what did people think of him?

Should another team give him a crack next season?
Could he hold down the SF role in an NBL team?

He was in the top 25 for scoring & rebounding...

(I'll laugh myself silly if Prather gets an NBA gig, and we ask JJ to come back)

Reply #621800 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Perth 5-9 with him, 7-3 without him. Perth -35 with him on court, +20 the rest of the season.

Now maybe that's team balance and injuries, but he certainly didn't shine and I think there are better options out there, both import and local, for other NBL teams to chase.

Reply #621808 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Paul,
In all honesty, I think you'd need to somehow subtract the absence of Damian Martin from that, just for a start.

Even then, regardless of their relative scoring ability, there's no doubt IMHO that the Cats are better with Cotton than JJ.
It might be a bit of an over-simplification, but in the NBL at least, I don't think he's cut out for the SG role.
(whether that's because we need a 2 and he's a 3, OR because we need a 1/2 and he's a 2/3)

Hence my I wonder if he could hold down a SF role?

Again, forgive the over-simplification, but it seems teams now are opting for a genuinely SMALL forward.

Reply #621819 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

His +- was pretty similar with and without Martin playing, in that Perth were better without him on the court.

He just made really bad decisions, and so had to be red hot to help the team. Maybe it was international rookie nerves, maybe team balance, I don't know.

If he could find a way to produce his best form more consistently he'll be a good player, but until he shows that I don't think other NBL teams will touch him, especially without a statement from the league ;-).

Reply #621855 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hehe paul

Reply #621867 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

He just made really bad decisions
then he should have fit right in at Perth

Reply #621881 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hahahahahaha!!

don't quit your day job

Reply #621883 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:12 am, Wed 17 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754