Dazz
Years ago

Is the Perth Streak in danger?

This is intended as a serious discussion.

Some of the comments I have heard, from players and commentators, suggest that the Cats take this extremely seriously.
Obviously we know its a big thing and something they are proud off, but it seems like more than just marketing hype.

So how important is it?
Not every season brings a ring, and in the grand scheme finishing 5th is not a whole lot worse than finishing 4th and going out in 2. In fact in this year's comp, 5th is nothing to be ashamed off. You regroup, and plan for next season.

Problem is that once its gone, its never coming back.

At the moment, Gleeson has his place in history, as the only coach to win twice. Could he handle also being the coach who ended the streak?

There's nothing a team can (realistically) do to guarantee a ring. But there are things they could do to drastically improve their chances of extending the streak.

So how important is it to the Cats organisation?
As a FAN, I'd be really disappointed, but life would go on. Next time we made the finals, it would feel a little sad.
But what's it worth to the Cats?
Again, obviously they'll be happy if it continues, and "sad" if it don't.

I guess what I'm asking, is if things go poorly in the next couple of weeks, is Marvin going to open a secret compartment and hit some giant red button?
Or perhaps more accurately, will he jet off to Europe with a suitcase full of cash???

NB: I am not advocating any particular course of action. The only changes they can make is to sack players and hire new ones. That's difficult, embarrassing, costly, and risky.
Just like to hear opinions...

Topic #40450 | Report this topic

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

Gleeson is a flog.

Reply #612299 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"There's nothing a team can (realistically) do to guarantee a ring. But there are things they could do to drastically improve their chances of extending the streak."

How so?

I don't think the streak is that important. If it ends, it ends, they still have the 30 years in their history.

All good things must come to an end they say, if that's this season, then so be it. It's a very deep competition this year, so it wouldn't be a massive surprise.

Reply #612316 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

I don't think the streak is that important. If it ends, it ends, they still have the 30 years in their history.
Yes, that's the question isn't it.
As a fan, it would be sad, but life rolls on.

Reply #612325 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

is the perth streak in danger? yes. duhh.

Reply #612327 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Meh

Reply #612353 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

I said after the first game that this will be the season Gleeson gets exposed for the bum coach he is. So far it's true.
How is the Wildcats going from bottom on ladder to equal best record on that win against Melbourne on Friday? Very close league from 2-9th.

Reply #612357 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Sorry to be captain obvious, but yes the streak is in danger.

If Marvin was going to jet off to Europe with a suitcase full of cash, the time to do it would've been yesterday. Or last week. Or three weeks ago.

My view is they will miss out. They have won a heap of unconvincing games, but they won't stay winning 50% of their games once they leave the familiar confines, roaring crowd and favourable calls of Perth Arena behind. But nothing is a foregone conclusion. Anything could still happen.

Reply #612369 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh Marvin. Fought against the Melbourne crew and lost.
Used to be a power player and now is a speck on the NBL Power players. Shame. NOT. He's now in charge on=f an under performing team.

Reply #612382 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The time to do it was when Martin went out injured. Seemed pretty obvious to me. Replace Johnson with a combo guard, and hold ground until Martin is back. If that costs $150k, so be it, they're a rich club and owe it to their fans IMO.

Reply #612390 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I'm not sure how rich they actually are; have you seen how many lighting rigs and smoke machines and inflatable robot mascots they're paying for?

Reply #612397 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

plus the dozens of office staff employed.

Reply #612438 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:27 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754