Aussie
Years ago

Are the Boomers in trouble in the future?

When I say future, I mean 2019 World Cup and 2020 Olympics, in the big man department.

In 3 to 4 years, we will likely be without Bogut. Baynes will be 34 and we will have no Andersen. They were at best 3 bigs at the Rio Olympics.

Sure, Ben is coming through. Some could say Humphries but he is getting very limited time at Kentucky and I'm not convinced he will be all that effective.

Thon could be reasonable but will be inexperienced. Froling, Londale, Epperson etc have a long way to go.

Our guards look great but I'm not convinced our bigs will be good enough to compete for a medal again.

Thoughts?

Topic #40455 | Report this topic

Aussie  
Years ago

* I meant Landale

Reply #612440 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Guys in the NBL?
Kay, Majok

College guys
Humphries
Landale
d.Gak
g.gak
Mathiang
Froling
Acuil
Reath
Kiir
Perry

Landale and Humphries look to be the front runners atm.
Add Simmons, maker
bolden or Cooks? as another CF.

Reply #612448 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

We have got so many good young players coming through i wouldnt be worried at all

Reply #612450 | Report this post

AKA  
Years ago

I think a lot depends on how Simmons develops on the D end to guard the 4 spot. There is no doubt on offence that he can play positions 1-4 but if he can only guard the 3 on D and we have to find 2 bigs to play with him then it could present it's difficulties. If Simmons guards the international 4 man well then we'll be fine with 1 of Landale or Humphries at the 5 moving forward.

Reply #612452 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Plenty of talented bigs around, you are forgetting Bairstow too.

Reply #612525 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Its still possible Bogut and Baynes will contribute in 2019-20, but yes they will need some support. It's all going to depend on the development of Simmons, Maker and Exum and their availability for the Boomers. If those three are successful, then we can get away with just solid international bigs like Bairstow and perhaps Ogilvy and Humphries. I will be interested to see how Majok Deng is looking in 3 years as well. He has a lot of ability and should have gained the physique and experience by then to be a chance for the Boomers. Majok Majok and Matty Hodgson could also develop into players that could fill a role.

Overall though, when we could potentially put out a starting five of Maker, Simmons, Ingles, Exum and Delly and bring Mills, Bogut, Baynes, Broekhoff, Bairstow and Motum off the bench, I'd say the odds are we are in good shape in 2019-20!

Reply #612540 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Oh don't forget about Venky Jois as well. NBL heavyweights were chasing after his signature but he wanted the higher NBA exposure of the euro league.

Reply #612545 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Venky Jois... please!
This discussion is clearly about 5 men and Venky is 6-6 at best.
He's clearly not tall enough to play the pivot at international level.
Considering the strength we have at the 3-4 spots, I doubt he will ever play for Australia. Humphries and Landale have the most potential from the current group coming through.

I think Humphries will end up being a very solid 5. He has good hands, moves well and has elite size. He will more than likely stay at Kentucky till his senior year and being surrounded by elite talent along with the high standard of coaching will only help his development. This obviously relies on him getting minutes but it appears as though he has coach Cal's trust, at least for now. I think he will start for them next year and into his senior year.

Landale is talented too but I don't think he has as much potential as Humphries due to his lack of athleticism/mobility. Like Isaac, he does have very good hands so given time he may become a beast. He's obviously taken a different route through a mid-major but St Mary's recent success and high ranking will help to expose him more to the big time.
Froling, the Gak's and Mathiang have a chance too but they lack height and/or size/strength but of course... there are always going to be others that come from nowhere

Reply #612746 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^You don't know what your talking about... sorry

Landale is way more athletic than Humphries, more mobile, better hands, and a better shooter.
Not sure if youve been watching the games this year..

And jois is 6'8 230.

Reply #612750 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:07 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754