Anonymous
Years ago

Froling leaving SMU after 10 games

Interesting.

Topic #40461 | Report this topic

AKA  
Years ago

I'm interested to see the reasons why he's leaving. I'm sure they are valid I just hope it's not 'I'm not getting the court time or shots that I want'. What's more interesting is where he goes next!

Reply #612649 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You do all realise that their is a huge variation in standards of conferences SMU for both men and women are not in a great conference
Just because it's in America does not mean it's going to be good

Reply #612650 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

General feeling on twitter is that is pretty much why....

Reply #612651 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who cares Harry!!!

Reply #612654 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I actually don't know myself, but I read that his coach is going so he is considering leaving also. Read from that what you will, I am sure Harry will make some twitter comment or something will come out to verify why.

Reply #612659 | Report this post

AKA  
Years ago

Larry Brown parted ways with SMU before the season started

Reply #612662 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's too fat!

Reply #612663 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He will play NBL for the remainder of the season I heard

Reply #612673 | Report this post

Flip  
Years ago

No ideas where?

Reply #612674 | Report this post

Barry Ballbag  
Years ago

I see Jay Duncan (Perry Lakes Hawks) is an assistant coach at SMU. Was the Director of Basketball Operations last season.

Reply #612678 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sam will be twice the player.

Reply #612685 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lots of interesting info in here: http://www.foxsports.com.au/basketball/australian-freshman-harry-froling-to-transfer-from-smu-sources/news-story/fe4b68c32960ecf596feb4b50d19baae

Reply #612693 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

That article tells us bugger all

Reply #612713 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Article says he's looking to transfer, he will redshirt remainder of season if he does, and NBL is half way done, he's no way ready for that

Reply #612714 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This just goes back to the often overlooked point - Australian kids have trouble not playing.

If he chooses to stay in Division 1, he now sits the rest of this season, redshirts 2017-18 and can play 2018-19. That's a long time to bento be playing for a young kid.

If he goes the NBL route, there's half a season left, then what? SEABL? Could he play in a lower European league? Unlikely.

The college recruitment process has slowly got out of control. Everyone with stars in their eyes, being fed BS by people who are probably selfish. Jack Purchase is another example. Auburn in the SEC? Really? Made a bad choice, ends up redshirting a season. Ben Allen back in the day going to play at Indiana.

Kids, go to a four year school. Hell, go to a great Division 2 school. Somewhere you will play. They won't have a great shoe deal, you won't be on ESPN every night, the crowds might be smaller but you will get better and you might eek out a pro career at the end of it. Ask Ben Madgen. Ask David Barlow. Mark Worthington.

Reply #612719 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd say losing coach Brown would be a factor, playing for a HOF coach would have been great, not saying the current one is no good. And SMU is a great school, been nationally ranked the last few years I believe. Instead of speculation let's just wait and find out the real reason. Anyway, good luck to him and I hope he ends up where he wants to be and has a great career.

Reply #612735 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I have loved my teammates and my coaches here at SMU, but I was hoping to play a much more significant role than the one I have here now. It was a big sacrifice for me to leave Australia and come to the United States, so this has been very difficult for me. I am going to look at all of my options collegiately and professionally back home." — Harry Froling

Like he's the only one sacrificing! Entitled much??

Reply #612767 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Regardless of reason , these kids who go off to college and then return, it's usually for dam good reasons that they have reached, mostly that they are unhappy at college, and being happy is an important aspect of life.

Reply #612781 | Report this post

Hobbs  
Years ago

Too many people with stars in there eyes and smoke blown up their arses by college recruiters.

Interesting if the good people at Pick and Roll have some sort of stat of the rate of kids transferring and returning early , both male and female.

Reply #612782 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

I am not about to comment on this kid, I know nothing of his situation, however my own family experience I can express.

Yes, college recruiters can be varied and according to their interest in your kid they can also be either your best friend or just an acquaintance.

It is always imperative that you and your kid do as much research, get to know as much as possible and go through the process of recruiting with your eyes and ears open.

At the same time, even going to a college where your kid finds it tough, he/she can still learn and gain so much.

The result of a college scholarship will be determined as much from the character of the kid that goes as it will be determined by many other factors and experiences.

Reply #612783 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Everyone is so impatient these days. Expecting immediate results, not willing to put in the hard yards first. He is a freshman ffs. Why would he be expecting major minutes?

Reply #612785 | Report this post

ColCon  
Years ago

"I am going to look at all of my options collegiately and professionally back home"

Interesting situation for Harry wrt his on-going NCAA eligibility. It is unusual for players to announce mid-season that they are leaving the team. I don't know anything about his case but I hope he has done his homework prior to making this move.

NCAA rules are complex in this area. If he leaves the team then he might lose his scholarship for the remainder of this semester/year?
If he plays NBL/SEABL/BigV back in Aust then no more eligibility. If he plays any basketball outside of the NCAA during the season then loss of eligibility. If he wants to transfer then he has transfer academic eligibility requirements to consider including his "progress to degree" which could get tricky if he leaves SMU mid-semester and foregoes any credits. Transferring colleges is neither straight forward or easy.

Reply #612832 | Report this post

ColCon  
Years ago

Freshman Div 1 playing time.
I did some analysis some time back on the Aussie Freshman playing time (15/16 season).
Of the 58 Aussies playing in Div 1 in that season, 27 (47%) averaged 5 mins or less playing time per game in their first season. This excludes "red-shirts" and those who left D1 in earlier years so, the % of 5 mins or less is probably even higher. 12 players (20%) averaged more than 20 mins for the season.
I think that most freshman players spend a lot of time on the pine no matter what division they are in. All college bound players should expect low playing time in their first year.

Reply #612834 | Report this post

muckalukas  
Years ago

Yeah maybe should have gone to a Div 2 college, I believe Nick Kay went to a Div 2 college and he won rookie of the year last season so u can still be a success from a Div 2 college, but depends what you call a success if you think making it to the NBA as a success then most likely he wont be a success, but maybe coming home and playing NBL after college is a success, after all it's still a pro league. Lets not forget he's already played NBL for the Crocs. And I read somewhere that his sisters did the same thing in pulling out of their scholarship and I think that was also SMU.

Reply #612881 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Yes his sisters both went to SMU too. Keely came home and is now playing WNBL for Canberra. Alicia is still there and doing very well.

Big guys take longest of all to develop and need to be extra patient IMO, especially going into a college system where there's a bit of a pecking order in place as well.
(not that I know anything about the current depth chart at SMU ... if he's stuck behind some good player and guaranteed to get minimal playing time for years then I could see the temptation to move)

Reply #612889 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The "pecking order" can certainly be an issue, but also the college basketball system in truth knows very little about the Australian system.
There they don't get to play with or against other players out of their age group, so say your high school in USA only ever plays with and against bodies that match their size and maturing of thinking so of course your good players are going to stand out, but if you were to put those same players up against the bigger bodies of college and perhaps they are not viewed as TZhE best for their age in the USA then those college freshmen are likely to sit on the bench at least for that first year.
Now turn that over to the Aussie system, we push the good "high school" aged kids up into p,aging with and against much bigger and older bodies and much more mature heads.
You then put our Aussie kids into the college freshman year and suddenly they are back playing high school level, with the mental maturity to match it in mist cases.
Add into that scenario coaching staff who think all freshmen are the same and lack experience playing against what they consider "older" players and you can see how it can get frustrating for some to have to sit and watch others that they can outplay get the minutes over them because of the "pecking order".

Froling has had a good taste of the Aussie system, perhaps he's realised he's past the high school/college level

Reply #612903 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How about he is just not good enough to get game time.
To slow and looks a bit heavy.
What about Wilson, is he staying?

Reply #612930 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I read something that suggests Tom Wilson is also looking elsewhere.

Reply #614578 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Wilson is out the door too.

Reply #614582 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:39 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754