Isaac
Years ago

Breakers sideline Webster, plan to bring in import

The Breakers have sidelined star guard Corey Webster on a surprising, and mysterious, injury waiver for the "medium to long-term", leaving them seriously short-handed for Thursday's final pre-Christmas game against the Perth Wildcats at Vector Arena.

The club has not put a time frame on Webster's return but said in a release it was to allow the shooting guard the time necessary to rehab a number of injuries that have been limiting his ability to perform this Australian NBL campaign. He will be replaced by a third import which further adds to the intrigue around the decision.
Full story

Topic #40468 | Report this topic

anonymous  
Years ago

Smells like a cover up

Reply #612902 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's been very poor recently. Most have some issues

Reply #612904 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

A number of 'injuries'.

Reply #612905 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sounds like the breakers want some addition by subtraction. He's been awful much of the season although his best hand was probably against Perth when he got the game winner in OT

Reply #612907 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

He's just a ball stopper shooting 35 pet cent. Cancer

Reply #612908 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm sure not details of the injures will be released.

Reply #612910 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I used to see Webster as the NZ-equivalent of Patty Mills. International ability, similar positions and some similarities in their game.

But either they're very, very different people or their environment/peers have influenced them significantly. You look at Mills with the Spurs and he is a role model in every public facet. Unblemished representation of his country, positive attitude and public persona. Could've been the reckless gunner, but I can't think of a time he's faltered.

I imagine the Spurs as an organisation and environment are about as good as it gets, but you have to hold up your side of that too and Patty clearly has.

Reply #612911 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Something definitely smells fishy and it feels like something else going on for sure...

Reply #612912 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Interesting.

Reply #612914 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

The guy seems to be going through a lot of personal and off court issues since last year. Hopefully he can get through it all and what ever injuries he has and can regain his old form.

Reply #612916 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Basically this decision is saying that they think they'll be better off without him.

"Medium-to-long term" seems to indicate he'll be done for the season. At 7-9, I guess they felt they had to do something now or it would be too late.

Reply #612917 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

He's a very talented baller and so it's kinda sad to see how he has gone from NBA camps to dumpsville in such short time.
This break sounds like a good move by the Breakers despite the unfortunate mid season timing. Hopefully it does him some good.

Reply #612919 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

It's a hip and back issue that he has be dealing with since the start of the season. He has tried to play through it and it hasn't worked so now it's time for rest & rehab.

Reply #612928 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He probably should have explored Europe after NBA camps as his stock was quite high at that time.

Sounds like he may have fallen into some bad habits when he went back to NZ.

Reply #612936 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

He's been playing with a hip fracture. Should've had surgery earlier as he could do some permanent damage. However Corey would probably look for a fresh start somewhere else to reignite his career.

Reply #612947 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A hip injury would be really restrictive so the breakers must think its not worth the risk with his performances. I don't think europe would have been a good fit for Corey as he appears to be far more suited to the pace the NBL is played at.

Reply #612949 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Smart move though to keep an import slot up their sleeve. Could make this very interesting depending on the quality they get.

Reply #612952 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If they release him Perth needs the exact player of his skill set.

Reply #612954 | Report this post

Mike  
Years ago

'Deactivation'

Reply #612957 | Report this post

DaHuzyBru  
Years ago

Straight up - he's been hit hard by the addition of Kirk Penney as the starting SG. Webster has dropped from 19.9 ppg last season (a career high) to coming off the bench mostly this season and averaging just 11.7 per game. I guess they figured Webster could run the point, but has clearly not worked.

Webster has always been a cheesy three-point shooter, with the ability to hit crazy big shots off curls, pull ups and step backs. This season, however, he has hit 23-of-82 from 3 (28.0%!!). He's had multiple games of 1-of-7, 1-of-6, 1-of-5 etc. Injuries, off-court issues and game-time/Penney has severely hindered his play and output.

Reply #612959 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

Mental illness could likely be used for an injury waiver.

Reply #612964 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dazz you ok? You didn't mention that other team in a thread that has nothing to with them.

Reply #612966 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There's this guy in the D League whose been there forever....

Reply #612973 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All the marbles says this is mental illness. -!: I wish him the best with any demons if so and class to the breakers for keeping it vague as that sort of thing isn't anyone's business.

Reply #612975 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

But it's fair game for you to speculate about completely baselessly on the internet?

Reply #612978 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Get off your high horse champ. Im complimenting the club and wishing him well IF something like this is the case.

Reply #612981 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

You're making an utterly baseless assumption. There's no reason to suspect it even might be the case, much less bet all your marbles on it.

Reply #612983 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In this day and age Kobe, marbles arent an expensive thing. Go to your local toy store and you could probably buy a set for $5. My basis is purely on now things he had a massive hand in last season would be effecting him potentially and now some new issues with bar fights etc To pick on my assumptions as though I have claimed them to be gospel on a rumour orientated forum seems a bit odd. Why single out one such opinion. Also as ive been a long time follower of the NBL and sport in general, not as smart as yourself, but still cluey, very rarely have i found teams to be so vague when infact the player has a basketball related injury. Usually something more sinister. Thats how i came to my guess on this.

Reply #612985 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Why single out one such opinion.
If you've never seen me call anyone else out, you obviously aren't on here much.

But if you don't see the hypocrisy in baselessly speculation he's mentally ill while saying mental illness is a person issue and nobody else's business, I can't help you.

Reply #612987 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nor am I looking for your help. You miserable blogger.

Reply #612988 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Big difference in someone's guess on a forum, compared to a employer confirming such personal information. See it for what it is, or I can't help you.

Reply #612989 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Dazz you ok? You didn't mention that other team in a thread that has nothing to with them.
Well if you insist:
Signing quality locals, and keeping a import spot up their sleeve, is a smart move.
I wish the Cats had done that, imagine if we could have replaced Martin with an Import combo guard (like Casper Ware).
Happy? ;-)

Reply #612991 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Keeping an import spot free is a luxury you can't afford in such a competitive league. Might be part of the reason why they're 7-9

Reply #613012 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone heard who the import may be?

Reply #613301 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:11 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754