Matt
Years ago

Best random NBL import side 1985-2016

Darnell Mee/Dwayne Mclain/Chris Williams/Scott Fisher/Willie Simmons
Bench: Ricky Grace/Kevin Lisch/Leroy Loggins/Mark Davis/Mark Ridlen/James Crawford/Andre Moore

Center is a big problem for the import side. I thought about Acie Earl, but I red he didn't do much. Dean Uthoff was aparrenlty only 6'8. Andre Moore was 6'9 and Mark Ridlen was 6'10, and Jim Havrilla was big but was quite crap.

Topic #40470 | Report this topic

JR  
Years ago

Mee, Ennis, Brooks, McClain, Crawford for starters
Grace, Loggins, Williams, Childress, Lisch, Davis and Fisher from the bench

Yes size is a problem but with this type of talent you could run all game.

Reply #612992 | Report this post

GordonG  
Years ago

Centre? Chris Burgess...

Reply #612993 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ricky Grace
Willie Farley
Rashad Tucker
Chris Williams
James Crawford

Casper Ware
Dave Thomas
Leroy Loggins
Tiny Pinder
Mike Dunigan

Reply #612994 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

Starters (In their Prime)

C - J. Crawford
C - S. Fisher
C - C. Williams
C - L. Loggins
C - R. Grace

Bench

C - R. Jones
F - M. Davis
F - J. Ennis
G - R. Rose
G - C. Bruton Snr

Reply #612996 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Grace
Rose
Loggins
Fisher
Crawford

McDonald
Green
Copland
McClain
Davis

Reply #612999 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

PG: Ricky Grace
SG: Rob Rose
SF: Leroy Loggins
PF: Chris Williams
C: Reggie Smith

Bench

Darryl McDonald
Mark Davis
Al Green
Terry Dozier
Josh Childress
James Crawford

Reply #613000 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

James Crawford / Mark Davis
Scott Fisher / Wayne McDaniel
Leroy Loggins / James Ennis
Robert Rose / Al Green
Ricky Grace / Dereck Rucker

Reply #613004 | Report this post

Matt  
Years ago

Guys I went for a 12-man side so if you want you can have a 7-man Bench.

Rob Rose I rate highly, and he was in the league longer than Dwayne Mclain and he got NBL MVP in 1993 and a stack of other awards along the way. So longevity he might have over Dwayne Mclain and he was an outstanding ball player. Then you got guards like Steve Woodbuury/Brian Wethers(2005) who were both awesome and Todd Lichti as well. I think all these guys are shooting guards.

D-Mac I'm tempted to put ahead of Ricky Grace both are outstanding, but D-Max was so good from 94-96 he made NBL 1st team and his drive and steals were awesome and he wasn't a little guy, he was basically a 6'4 version of Jerome Randle. Randle is only 5'9, D-Mac was 6'4 ffs but with the same speed and skill-set. Wayne McDaniel was very good his stats were good Ken Mclarey to. I'm not sure how tall Kenny Mclarey was. I was tempted to put in Dave Simmons who was 6'9 such a good defender, JCrwaford is 6'8. Andre Moore had good D and rebounds but could score far more than Dave Simmons and AMoore was 6'9. Adrian Branch stats are mighty impressive and Al Green of course.
I'm tempted to find a spot in my 12-man squad for Rob Rose. Derrick Rucker what a player. Darnell Mee's defence was just so good, so he makes my side.

Reply #613007 | Report this post

Matt  
Years ago

Terry Dozier I red somewhere was 6'9, but he is listed as a small forward in his US days, maybe he was a centre here. He I hear was just about the best defender in the NBL along with Darnell Mee the NBL has seen.
Mark Davis the best rebounder, best all-round game probably Leroy Loggins.

Reply #613008 | Report this post

Matt  
Years ago

Chris Williams had the best NBL individual season but there's a part of me that thinks 1-season is not enough to be considered in best ever sides.

Reply #613009 | Report this post

Matt  
Years ago

Jason Reece and bruce bolden awesome but both weren't that tall either. And Mark Mtichell/Andre Le Fluer good imports.

Reply #613013 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Glad someone mentioned Reggie Smith at the 5.
He was only here for 1 season but he was outstanding

Reply #613014 | Report this post

Matt  
Years ago

Yep Reggie Smith defiantly comes into my best ever import squad. A said you need size. He had one of the best "one and done" seasons in the NBL like Chris Williams/Doug Overton types.
Reggie Smith had some genuine size 6'10(same size as Mark Bradke) I'd never heard of him "strangely". Talk about him going under the radar and I watched a lot of NBL in 1995. Not sure NBL was on Galaxy, I didn't have Galaxy in 1995.
But Reggie Smith is bigger than James Crawford(6'8).

Also another guy who has slipped my radar in the 80's(mid-80's) Derrick Polk. He played for the Sydney Supersonics and Newcastle Falcons had very good stats and was a former Harlem Globetrotter(like Tiny Pinder), and also was 7-foot Centre, so very useful in the size dept and he had good stats and was a good outside shooter(Dirk Novitski/Dave Anderson type), so I might add him to my squad with Reggie Smith, and drop James Crawford/Mark Ridlen or Andre Moore.

Reply #613019 | Report this post

Freethrows  
Years ago

I can't believe GordonG is the only person to suggest Chris Burgess at cenntre.

Grace
Green
Ennis
Fisher
Burgess

DMac
Rose
Loggins
Davis
Crawford
Lisch
Childress

With apologies to too many legends of the League.

Reply #613021 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I watched both Burgess (at the Breakers) and Smith (at the Falcons) on several occcasions each.
Burgess was a hell of a player, but Smith was on another level.
He was a man amongst boys that season.

Reply #613022 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

cortez groves anyone

Reply #613024 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My side... trying to mix in longevity with some brilliant 1 and done guys

Starters
G Ricky Grace
G Robert Rose
F Leroy Loggins
F Chris Williams
C. Reggie Smith

Bench
G Darryl McDonald
G. Steve Woodberry
G Darnell Mee
F James Ennis
F Carlos Powell
F James Crawford
C Chris Burgess

So many amazing players ommittted!

Reply #613026 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

PG - Ricky Grace
SG - Darnell Mee
SF - Leroy Loggins
PF - Mark Davis
C - James Crawford

Bench - Scott Fisher, Willie Simmons, Bruce Bolden, Robert Rose, Darryl McDonald

Reply #613038 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When I read the best I always discount longevity and pick the team that I think would win.

Overton
Ennis
Loggins
Childress (still think 4 was his ideal nbl spot(
Smith

Try scoring or rebounding against that lot.

Bench.

Grace,New,Rose,Williams,Fisher,Crawford, Dozier,

Reply #613068 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

New = Mee spell correct go me.

Reply #613069 | Report this post

Matt  
Years ago

Some good new sides guys. I have going to re-jig my 12-man squad as well.
I'm glad we all found some genuine centres in the squad (Chris Burgess/Reggie Smith/Derrick Polk I found 7-foot 1986-88 in NBL). Acie Earl was big but i hear mix reports about him despite him being ex-NBA.
It seems Reggie Smith is one of the great injustices of the NBL in the 90's Halcyon days. He had a one and done season close to Chris Williams levels, but coz he was at the Newcastle Falcons he somehow went under the radar. If he was at Magic/Tigers/Wildcats/Kings, everyone would have known about him. And Chris Burgess was at the Taipains in the 2000's when the league was asleep, so know one knew about him. I was watching some highlights of a gem in the 90's man Andre LeFLEUER and Mark Mitchell were good at the Rollers, they would have shined in a big team. Dave Colbert/Andre Moore were useful at Bullets to. I'm gonna re-jig my side, and post it. Terry Dozier's defence might get him in the squad and I might have to leave out Mark Davis/JC for him. As both Dozier/Scott Fisher could rebound as well. So many great imports you could pick 2-teams.

Reply #613086 | Report this post

Matt  
Years ago

Jason Reece was a hell of a player as well at the Cannons/Giants.

Reply #613087 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

J Reece could definitely play, but like Reg Biddings, not on Defence, and not if he had to play in a team. Al Green Rocky Smith and Ken Richardson would all embarrass both of them

Reply #613097 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

but they were mostly all pre 85

Reply #613098 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:41 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754