Matt
Years ago

Joey Wright for next Boomers coach

What about Joey Wright for next Boomers coach. He's vastly experienced player/and coach, what about make him full-time Boomers coach. Lemanis is to busy with Brisbane, but Joey could quit 6er's at end of season and be Boomers coach why not.

Topic #40499 | Report this topic

paul  
Years ago

Sick of Adelaide being on top already are you? ;-)

Reply #613801 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

Please. Just no.

Reply #613818 | Report this post

Duke Fan  
Years ago

Great idea. Let's make it any team goes on a 7 game winnning streak, their coach gets the Boomers job. Of course if another team does the same they have to step aside for that coach

Reply #613828 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Only if it's a combo-package with Randle too.

Reply #613854 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

FMD, what the hell are they putting in the water in Adelaide???

No, the criteria needs to be that coach has been an epic failure for years, his team sucks balls for the first 1/4 of the season, then goes on a streak.

When Wright has actually won something, like a championship, then come back and ask the question.

Reply #613862 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

When Wright has actually won something, like a championship

2006-07 NBL Season.

Reply #613863 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I mean the anon did jump the gun, but i get the point. ANYONE was going to win the title with that roster that year. As far as having to go up against teams where real tactics are needed he struggles. He knows how to get the most out of guys from installing confidence etc which is clearly why guys like Sobey have 'arrived', but at International level, my god he would be torn alive!

Reply #613864 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Great coach!! I'd love him in the top job.

Reply #613939 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wasn't Wright's championship with a salary-cap cheating Bullets side?

Agree that we shouldn't get too carried away with Adelaide's somewhat flukish run. They will come back to Earth and would not surprise if they don't make the playoffs.

Reply #613942 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Sydney Kings, Melbourne Tigers and South Dragons were probably waaaaay over the cap in their championships around that period too.

It's not beyond the relm of possibility that the last 12 odd years potentially every winner breached the cap.

For Boomers coach, Lemanis deserves an extended tenure given the Olympics success and continuity doesn't hurt either.

He wouldn't need to quit the Bullets, it's good to have a coach who keeps his touch and experience instead of being absent of the challenges of coaching for long periods between Boomers camps and tournaments.

Reply #613945 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I don't think 7 games is flutist in the slightest. It might not last much longer in such a volatile year but you don't fluke 7 games in a row.

Reply #613946 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Flukish*

Reply #613947 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh great so lets rephrase that.
First you need to find a bent businessman, then after he's swindled thousands, and partnered with a "coach" who should have known better, to cheat his way to a championship and then run one of the Stalwart clubs into the ground,
THEN, a DECADE later when the game has completely changed, appoint completely the wrong style of coach to the Boomers.

Can you imagine Joey's "Defense is a dirty-word" coaching at international level? We'd be a laughing stock.

Reply #613949 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Are we talking about Goorjian now? Because he's probably set the record for clubs gone to ground, coaching salary cap cheaters and he was a Boomers coach.

Reply #613976 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

The point is, if your argument is the candidate needs to have coached a side which didn't buy a championship in the NBL then that is almost nobody.

Who does that leave? Lemanis who's already coach, Gleeson who everyone hates and Beveridge. Even then, their clubs probably still flouted the cap.

Reply #613977 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Joey took over Brisbane when they were the bottom team and made the playoffs five straight years.

He took over Gold Coast after they finished bottom and made the playoffs two out of three years.

He took over Adelaide when they were bottom and is currently on track to make the playoffs three out of four years.

I don't think he's a mastercoach, but he does a damn good job of turning struggling franchises around.

Re the Boomers job, he doesn't have the experience in the international game, I think he would need to spend time as an assistant in a national team program before he could be considered.

Reply #613980 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Agreed with every point Paul

Reply #613983 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Paul, he goes to clubs with poor records and poor rosters. He then gets that club to over pay for a better roster and surprise surprise they do better. That tactic looks great for him, but there is no Gold Coast there was no bullets after him...

Reply #613998 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Your comments don't hold water given what he has done in Adelaide on a lower-level budget.

They also lack credibility given the demise of Brisbane and Gold Coast were caused by issues with the owners.

Reply #614000 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

paul, do you think Wright would accept an assistant's job to learn the international game?

My 'gut feel' (and admittedly I don't know him personally) is that his ego would be a bit too big for that.

Reply #614017 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Two months ago Sixers fans on here were delcaring their team as being the worst after a few losses. Now top of the ladder and Wright > ? > Boomers coach. Goes to show you all have nfi.

Reply #614117 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:35 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754