Anonymous
Years ago

Perth will miss the playoffs

Perth has Adelaide, Hawks, Sydney and the Bullets in the next four games and will probably slump to 7 and 12. Game over and the 30 year streak is over.

Topic #40507 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

All those games are on the road.

Reply #613906 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great news. Another topic on the Perth Pussies.

Reply #613908 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Looks very likely they will miss.

Looking at the whole season, 15 wins should get you in. 14 will give you a chance. Perth unlikely to win 14 or 15 from here, given Martin's injury and so many road games left.

If they can steal 2 of the next 4 though, could remain a serious chance heading back to Perth Arena potentially with Martin making an early return as he seems to every single time he gets injured.

Reply #613909 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And? No one cares it's been discussed over and over. This forum needs another cats related thread...

Reply #613914 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes unfortunately Martin came back too early and a freak injury occurred. He's a warrior undoubtedly but he needs to ensure he has a full recovery period.

Reply #613915 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Re-siging Gleeson was a huge mistake.Need to buy him out and start new with Matty Neilsen.

Reply #613918 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

It's not looking good for them. As a Cats fan I'm still hopeful they will make the 4 but they really need to get at least 2 of the next 4 games on the road to have any sort of chance. Who knows, it's been a weird season. They have shown glimpses of a great team but don't seem to be able to play at the required level for 4 quarters of basketball.

Reply #613919 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Martin needs to be rested for next season and let Bragg develop for next season.

Reply #613922 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Gleeson is in his 4th year & has won 2 flags out of a possible 3. Re-signing him was a mistake?

Anon what planet are u on? That's why people like u are not making important decisions!!

Reply #613932 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes Neilsen has so much coaching cred.

Reply #613935 | Report this post

Watto  
Years ago

At least it'll spark a clean out for next season. The streak was always going to end sooner or later. Awesome effort to get 30 straight though

Reply #613937 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The streak was always going to end sooner or later
That's like saying you're bound to lose a game eventually, so why bother trying to win.

It's funny though, People have loved to throw shit at the Wildcats for years, even though they have complied with the letter of the law regarding salary cap and points cap.
Now you have teams like Sydney (and MU) spending unsustainable amounts, then claiming they're not going to pay much penalty, plus clearly breeching the $400k cap on the 5 lowest paid, and people think its all fine and dandy.

Long after Mr Dodo and the latest crook behind Sydney have crawled back under their rocks and allowed their teams to go belly-up again, teams like the Wildcats, Sixer, and Taipans will still be plugging along.

It's sad that they will lose their streak, but at least they still have integrity.

Reply #613940 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth not making the playoffs is not good news for the Dazz haters

Reply #613951 | Report this post

John  
Years ago

We are right behind Trev and the wildcats team. 2 championship in 3 years Trev, one happy member. Season not over yet full confidence in you wildcats.

Reply #613963 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Every one wants Perth to miss the finals, not that they will.

Reply #613964 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

Due to increased media, sponsorship and spectator attention/demand , and the sudden availability of multiple free venues (courtesy of an anonymous Western Australian business identity) the 2016/17 Playoff format has been changed back to the eight team play-off series previously used last century.

read it here first !

Reply #613970 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

It's funny though, People have loved to throw shit at the Wildcats for years, even though they have complied with the letter of the law regarding salary cap and points cap.

When you're successful you are a target in Australia. This isn't the US where everyone bandwagons. To that extent, you take it in your stride.

There are a lot of Perth fans on here (should be renamed from Hoops SA to Hoops.com.au to Hoops to Hoops WA), so we're bound to get a few irritating posters supporting the Wildcats.

While I don't think Perth has flouted the cap to the extent of the sides in the Eastern states, I would disagree that they are squeaky clean. It is a reach to think Perth's lineup fit within the salary cap, but the cap was never policed properly and last season with new management and the realisation that most clubs were cheating (those who could afford to) forced a change in system.

Reply #613982 | Report this post

swish  
Years ago

Love them or jealously hate them ( but we've all got to respect what they have acheived) Perth have been set the standard in the NBL for the last few years, certainly since they've been able to play out of a a nice new venue in the city. (Wouldn't Adelaide like to have that opportunity).
Because they have set the standard everyone has had to try to reach or exceed it.
Nobody wins for ever and no-body loses for ever. If Perth don't make the play offs they'll certainly come back bigger and stronger next season, which will be great for the league. In the meantime we'll see in Perth supporters will keep turning up in big numbers if their team drops out of the race.

Reply #613986 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

It would be no real surprise. All eight teams are now around the standard Perth and NZ have been at for years, so there is very little room for error and the Wildcats need Martin back ASAP!

Reply #613988 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As a cats fan I don't mind now that the finals have moved to a best of five format. My wallet could use a break this year.

Reply #613996 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^Same... as a cats fan I'm keen from a break from the playoffs. It gets tiring being in the playoffs every year. A longer off season should help the wallet and interest.

It's tough being a Wildcats fan. You literally pay more money to the NBL and clubs than any other fan.

Reply #614006 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"It would be no real surprise. All eight teams are now around the standard Perth and NZ have been at for years,"

Paul speaking the truth here. When I think of the Wildcats team, I don't actually think it's that much worse than previous years. But the level of competition and professionalism by other clubs has increased.

Whereas previous years we had enough margin for error that even if Martin and Knight missed games we were still OK, this year the competition is too close to allow for that.

You have even seen teams like Melbourne United look like a rabble earlier in the season when they had some guys out. Illawarra looked poor early on too but have turned it around, and we all know about Adelaide.

The league is tight enough that we'll see more of these "remarkable" turnarounds.

Reply #614012 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

RaMarQabLe... now there's a name I haven't heard in a long time.

Reply #614016 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I dislike the Perth blogger more than the actual wildcats. I mean these seem to be a very unusual bunch. As for he team good for them, always say every fan needs a Yankees type team to hate on. I'm proud to say I dislike the cats, it's only healthy to have that passion love or hate for sports. But yeah the bloggers on here shocking bunch.

Reply #614050 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Reply #614052 | Report this post

ASternWarning  
Years ago

As much as it will be a shame for the Cats to have their streak broken, this season has to be the best thing to happen for the league in some time. The dominance of Perth and NZ had dulled the comp for many, but now there is suddenly plenty for hardcore and casual fans alike to talk about.

Reply #614076 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

By "Cats Bloggers" I think he's referring to people like Dazz who's threads are more like blog posts.

Reply #614081 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not surprising.

What did they expect from Gleeson. He came in and rode the goodwill and culture created by Bevo. Yet Cats HQ thought they were doing some master recruiting.

Reply #614113 | Report this post

John  
Years ago

Management could not wait to get rid of Bevo, he should of won more championship with the players he had.

Reply #614130 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Correct John. But Marvin is arrogant. It's taken a loooong time but finally the fruits of his labour are coming to the fore.

Reply #614132 | Report this post

John  
Years ago

Season no over yet, still will make finals.

Reply #614153 | Report this post

Ricky  
Years ago

Could well go on a 7 game win streak up to top spot and ppl be touting Gleeson for Boomers coach.

Reply #614156 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kobe I am referencing the like of dazz due to his blog like threads. It's like he constantly auditioning for a job with the cats in some form. As for you, the school teacher who always corrects everyone on eveything. It's so much fun reading your rebuttals.

Reply #614158 | Report this post

Bill on the ball  
Years ago

Think those who cast doom on the Wildcats are like the people who casted doubts on Joey earlier.

When you are down, the only path is up. Look for the surprise.

Reply #614174 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Accept Joey had a lot of talent to cover his ass. The cats have none. Expect logic results.

Reply #614176 | Report this post

Bill on the ball  
Years ago

Not when everybody thought he was the worse coach when the Sixers were down.

Reply #614189 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:58 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754