Aussie
Years ago

Isaac Humphries should have gone elsewhere

In my opinion, Isaac Humphries made a mistake going to UK.

Sure we can argue that he is being coached by one of the best in the business, training against future NBA players and learning how to deal with the immense pressure of playing for one of College basketballs elite.

However, the fact is, without descent playing time, the above accounts for very little.

Bam has taken his minutes this season and it wouldn't honestly surprise me if another freshman big, with NBA aspirations, takes his minutes again next season.

Bogut and Baynes got much more playing time for lesser College programs and look at where they are today.

I just think it's a terrible waste for a very talented Aussie big man.

Thoughts?

Topic #40551 | Report this topic

Cram  
Years ago

I think he'll get his chances and if he shows anything in those times he'll get seen. He was never going to be a one and done. He's the kind of guy that will work and get better. I think he'll be ok.

Reply #615005 | Report this post

AKA  
Years ago

It's a really interesting question and one that a lot of the more talented Aussie kids face when choosing their pathway (those with a choice of small or large programs). Do I take the higher profile school, train against better talent or go to a smaller school where I get more minutes and can have more of an impact for the full 4 years? Each scenario has to be treated in isolation as there is no 1 answer for our young bigs.
We've seen Froling leave SMU due to lack of minutes and is now looking at schools where he'll presumably get the desired game time.
I think a lot depends on the end goal. If you have NBA talent you'll be noticed wherever you head. If you're more of that Europe/NBL talent then perhaps a smaller school where you'll get minutes could be the answer (look at the success that Landale is having at SMC this year. If you don't think you'll be playing post college then choose the best school that suits your chosen field of academia.

Reply #615007 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

He is and always will be (next two seasons) be surrounded by too much talent.

Everyone wants to play for UK, Duke etc.

He will likely be a role player, with limited court time.

If he had gone to a smaller school, I could have seen him fulfilling his NBA dream.

Sadly I don't see that happening now playing for UK (yes I do understand that he is 18, 19 in January)

Reply #615008 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

this statement here sums up some of the issues the talented kids have going to a top div1 college

"Sure we can argue that he is being coached by one of the best in the business, training against future NBA players and learning how to deal with the immense pressure of playing for one of College basketballs elite.

However, the fact is, without descent playing time, the above accounts for very little."

BUT they are "future" NBA "prospects"...they are not IN the NBA he's basically playing against his own age.

Same goes for any who go over to these top DIV1 colleges.

So they need to weigh up if it's truely worth it.
They can either sit on the bench in most cases as the USA college coaches really only see the USA high school stars, or they can go to a lower div college and play big minutes against and with a lower standard again
Or they can stay/or come back as some do and play against seasoned players in either SEABL/NBL ( or WNBL as it's the same for the women)

Unless it's just the free college education they go for.

Reply #615027 | Report this post

Matt  
Years ago

Every decision has risks, look at Terrance Fergusson. I think TF's risk is paying off overall.

Reply #615065 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

plays for the smallest college available that has a strong D1 playing schedule with good coaching IN YOUR POSITION where you will get game time at least by year 2 and an academic program that can give you something.

( Bogut at Utah and the Mountain West Conference (MWC)is a good example , he wanted the coach , but got playing time in the first 2 years and showed he was ready on performance ( not potential) to play a started in the NBA in year 3 of his college cohort.

the team making regular NCAA entries into at least the first round for 2 of the last 3 years is a plus, but not essential

playing for the absolute top tier like Duke etc you are betting yourself against the chances that the college will recruit stronger than you in the next 2 years, or accept a transfer.

Reply #615077 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

It is different for everyone, these kids are individuals and must do what fits best for them by making their own decisions.

Transferring isn't always easy or successful, however it is an option that needs careful consideration.

All depends on what the kid wants for his future, I think if he is happy where he is there is no issue here...

Reply #615093 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:28 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754