HoldenV8
Years ago

Worst Ever NBL Import Players

Ok, so we all know who would make the list of the best ever import players to grace the NBL. Names like Leroy Loggins, Mark Davis, James Crawford, Lanard Copeland, Cal Bruton, Al Green, Ricky Grace, Scott Fisher, Darnell Mee, Bruce Bolden, and Robert Rose all immediately spring to mind.

But who would make the list of the worst imports? There have been some absolute flops over the past 37 years. Some have failed due to unforeseen circumstances such as injury, while some failed simply because they were...*cough cough* just about hopeless.

Being a 36ers fan I can name one straight off the bat - Scott Christopherson. What a waste of space that guy was. Could hit 3's like no one's business in warm ups, but come game time he couldn't hit sand in the middle of the Simpson Desert. Only Marty Clarke could have plucked a no talent hack out of nowhere and give him an NBL gig.

So who else would end up on this list?

Topic #40567 | Report this topic

Indominos-Rex  
Years ago

Michael Bryson recently for the Kings. Kevin Ratzsch or something like that was also garbage for the Kings in 11-12

Reply #615359 | Report this post

proud  
Years ago

Cheikh Yaya Dia... not the worst by any means but I just wanted to say his name.

Devin Williams is certainly not showing us much and Marcus Thornton was pretty ineffective last season.

I remember thinking George Banks for the Wildcats was pretty useless back around 1996 or whenever it was

Reply #615361 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

Scott Christopherson
/thread

Reply #615363 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

My first instinct whenever this comes up is to mention A.D. Smith

Reply #615364 | Report this post

Duke Fan  
Years ago

Acie Earl. Could have been a great player but was a fat, lazy heap

Reply #615365 | Report this post

Matt  
Years ago

Steve Blake lol Wayne Womak

Reply #615366 | Report this post

AussiePride  
Years ago

Jim Havrilla (The Gorilla) for Hobart Devils. Spectacularly broke a backboard in a pre season game but that was about his last highlight!

Reply #615368 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Marcus Thornton, how he lasted the season showed how poor the kings were.

Reply #615369 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

George Banks? Wasn't he a star?

And Thornton was clearly a talented player but in a poor environment

Reply #615370 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

Showron Glover.

Reply #615374 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

anyone remember Cory Reader

Reply #615376 | Report this post

Herve Villechaize  
Years ago

Corey Reader was a bench warmer for the Kings who attempted to forge a career overseas under the old adage of "you can't teach height."
Didn't he come back and try to score a gig a few years back with Perth. He had 10 thumbs and was bad at basketball, which isn't helpful when you are trying to earn a living from said sport.
Worst import was that fatty Bryan Carver for the Kings. He had a decent college career, but got on the plane in the US at 180 pounds and got off at Kingsford Smith weighing 330.

Reply #615377 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

George Banks was a player! In about 1996 or 1995 (I think) the wildcats picked him up for 4 weeks to cover an injury- can't remember exact details. He also played for Canberra and played well, certainly not a dud.
Duds- Wildcats had a 3pt shooter from Stanford who was pretty much useless around 2001, I remember Rick Grace saying he was as no better than bench warming locals after he was cut.
Adelaide had a left handed white guy in 1990, Tom Schafer? I remember thinking they got nothing from him really.

Reply #615379 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Stanford player you speak of is Ryan Mendez. He was recruited on the basis of being an elite FT shooter, held some sort of record in the NCAA.

These days, he is a businessman with an eye for dance.

"After graduating from Stanford University—where he captained the men's basketball team, won three consecutive Pac-10 basketball championships, and played in the NCAA Final Four—Mr. Mendez played basketball professionally in Australia and Spain.

Along the way, he sourced, advised, and closed eight transactions for Ecometry Corporation, SHOP.com, Lynx Medical Systems, Dark Blue Sea, Deals.com, and Healthcare.com, before eventually founding Streetball.com, the Internet’s leading basketball lifestyle destination.

Mr. Mendez has a great appreciation for dance, and he arrived at the performance with a critical eye."

Reply #615383 | Report this post

Watto  
Years ago

Jahii Carson,Jonny Flynn from recent memory

Reply #615384 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Both were well below expectations, but I wouldn't have them as candidates for the worst of all time. Same with Thornton.

Ratzsch was horribly underrated.

Reply #615389 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Joe Shipp from a vague memory - played for perth and wasnt much good. Not sure how long he lasted. Ontario Lett in the late 2000s should get a mention too.

George Banks was mentioned in this thread but he was fairly decent. Was only an injury replacement for Van Dyke i think? 1997 or 1998 season, or around that time.

Correct me if im wrong. Trying to piece this together from a sketchy memory.

Reply #615390 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mike English??

Reply #615391 | Report this post

snooch  
Years ago

Gerald Zimmerman

Reply #615392 | Report this post

Scopes44  
Years ago

Corey Reader is an Aussie.
George Banks was a role player at the cats but was a beast with Canberra so I wouldn't rate him a dud.
I'd say Maybe Kenne Young at the kings, drew Barry was ordinary and possibly David Robinson from 36ers. Jim havrilla was crap also.
There were many ordinary imports. Meaning recruiting over the years has overall stayed the same. Lol

Reply #615394 | Report this post

Yo Yo  
Years ago

David Robinson averaged 18 and 9 at 56% FFS

Reply #615395 | Report this post

lawsy  
Years ago

No one has mentioned Sheldon Quales, I think that's his name. Played with the bullets in late 90s - easily the shittest. Was a left handed PF, who could do nothing.

Others which spring to mind:

That guy who played with the kings first season back, was rubbish and was sacked after a few months, forgot his name. Was a SF who could do nothing.

Nate Green- with the cannons. Rubbish point guard

Jerome Beasley - close to being average but never took off

Been so many shit imports

Reply #615396 | Report this post

Indominos-Rex  
Years ago

@Watto Flynn wasn't even "bad" he just wasn't great and I wouldn't put Carson . with some of the other players on here. It's not like those guys were total garbage.

Reply #615398 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

AD Smith

Reply #615399 | Report this post

Scopes44  
Years ago

David Robinson lasted one season and couldn't guard a garbage can.

Moving along
Dewey Michael's wasn't great,
I think at north Melbourne there was a chucky white that was sacked pretty quickly and wasn't much chop and maybe add john Jackson at the cats. Meh all the players I put had not reached my expectations. Maybe because they were so long ago, imports were supposed to be the two best players in scoring and rebounding.

Reply #615401 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

In his 14 games with the Sixers Scott Christopherson averaged 2.9 ppg shot 28% from the field and 27% on 3pts.

Why bother mentioning anyone else?

Reply #615403 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

At the time there was some dope on here arguing that Scott Christopherson was good.

Reply #615404 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is it fair to say with the global networks and communication the days of recruiting total duds are over? No longer have that guy who you were told was 6'10 then stepped off the plane at 6'4 etc.

It's like cotton gets signed and then everyone is on YouTube and draft express and feel like they know his game

Reply #615406 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kevin Ratzsch now runs a 'god and basketball' camp

Reply #615407 | Report this post

Southern Joe  
Years ago

Kenny Young . " I like dunking better than sex".

Reply #615411 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

"At the time there was some dope on here arguing that Scott Christopherson was good."

Was that dope Marcus Camby? I felt like that guy just purposefully played contrarian during that period.

Reply #615416 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just for Adelaide:

Mark Tyndale
Paris McCurdy
Jeff Brown
Scott Christopherson

Tom Schafer wasn't a dud, he averaged 15 ppg on 50% shooting and 10 rpg. He just wasn't what the team needed that year, we needed a guard.

Reply #615419 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jeff Brown, Scott Christopherson and Ebi Ere last season, who shouldve been cut for the 36ers. But for every star there has been some woeful names come threw the NBL, so this thread could go one for years! Marcus Timmons was another dud... by the time he got to Adelaide.

Reply #615420 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Possibly Hendo, I just remember someone made multiple posts about how he was actually good but Adelaide's system didn't suit him LMAO.

Reply #615424 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nate Green was good at Indiana State, had a slow start in the NBL (like a lot of players in their 1st pro gig) and then was put out for the season by Jason Smith.

He ended up having a decent career in the top league in Italy.

Reply #615425 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Tyndale copped it too much imports like Mike Chappell, Cortez Groves, Craig Winder, Eddie Shannon, Ron Howard, CJ Massingale, Jarrid Frye, Daequon Montreal, Kenyon McNeail, Ebi Ere, Terrance Ferguson and of course Christopherson were all worse imports for the 36ers.

Reply #615426 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bryce Cotton right now. Just look at his stats. 0 games played, 0 ppg, 0 assists.

Reply #615428 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Anonymous,

Like Hendo said I think that was that Marcus Camby guy who just defended everything Marty Clarke & Mark Radford ad nauseum.

Reply #615429 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

Dmitry mccamey, the year the taipans locked Jamar into a two year contract and presumably had to hunt around the back of the sofa to find some change to pay for a second import

Reply #615430 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Mustapha Farrakhan was pretty pointless. He apparently got some NBA time afterwards so who the hell knows what's going on in the world!

Reply #615435 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

I think this should be restricted to those imports with at least 2 NBL seasons, rather than "one and done" or even "one game" and done.

here is my nomination

Mike Champion huge minutes - little output
http://english.worldhoopstats.com/stats/nbl-au/michael-champion-1.html

Reply #615444 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

What about worst imports on a team by team basis?

Adelaide - Christopherson (the all-time worst winner IMO)

Perth - AD Smith, Ryan Mendez, Joe Shipp, Sunday Adebayo

Cairns - Nnanna Egwu

Sydney - Drew Barry, Stephen Jackson ;)

Illawarra - Showron Glover, Malcolm Grant

Melbourne - Thalo Green, Devin Williams

New Zealand - Pierre Wooten, Awvee Storey

Reply #615446 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Brisbane - CJ Black

Reply #615447 | Report this post

Johnson  
Years ago

I totally agree with FSTOS with Showron Glover being the worst import.As a hawks supporter for over 30yrs i can't remember them having a worse import,maybe Jovian Catron i think was his name from about 5yrs ago.Nah Showron Glover was the worse ever 100%.

Reply #615449 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Terrance Ferguson. He has had zero impact on Adelaide's winning ways. All hype, no substance.

Reply #615453 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Glover and Catron were on the same team, 2011-12.

Reply #615456 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A lot of very average players have been mentioned.
BUT... none of them come close to 2001 Bullets import Kharki Jaxon.
Jaxon is one of the worst players I've ever seen play in the NBL, let alone an import. He had the worst hands I've ever seen... he literally had problems catching the basketball and when he did, he had no idea what to do with it. He was awful!!!

http://andthefoul.net/NBLwiki/index.php?Khari%20Jaxon

Reply #615462 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^ auto correct
His name is Khari Jaxon

Reply #615463 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

George Banks belongs nowhere near this thread. He'd be the runaway mvp playing in the league today.

Todd Fuller was underwhelming but not too bad. Martin Muursep could be worth a mention especially with the big wraps Anstey had put on him

Reply #615494 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Paris McCurdy. Still remember him playing premier league at old forestville stadium and him talking shit to Billy Fikes in his first game. Billy dunked on him so many times that night McCurdy should have bought a plane ticket home the next day. He couldn't even get double figures in premier league let alone Nbl.

Reply #615500 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Paris McCurdy averaged 12.7 ppg with the 36ers.

Reply #615504 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Yep, McCurdy was bad. Jarvis Lang and AJ Winder are two others that weren't great, but nowhere near the Ontario Lett/AD Smith level.

Reply #615508 | Report this post

BOL  
Years ago

Good call Zodiac remembering Sunday Adebeyo! He was probably the worst cats import i can remember. Would warm the bench in that star studded side back then and didnt do too much when he came on. Ricky grace once said Sunday brings the pain!

Going back further circa 1992 Jeff Allen? A worthy candidate?

Reply #615514 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Reply #615515 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

@AussiePride LOL! I remembered Havrilla the Gorilla, he was pretty good in his first game but then disappeared for subsequent games.

For old times' sake. :)

Reply #615516 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Ontario Lett is another one people commonly misremember.

14.2 ppg, 6.7 rpg at 53%

Jo Jo English is another.

16 ppg at 43%, 34% 3pts

AD Smith was genuinely bad though.

Reply #615517 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

English and Lett were bad, as those numbers show. Jo Jo was such a disappointment, he has some good games but he seemed so lost against good opposition when I watched him.

Reply #615520 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Have to agree on Mursepp. Came over on Ansteys recommendation, with a impressive resume and really struggled. I believe he was not 100% fit though.

Reply #615527 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Thalo Green was a champ though.

Forget the numbers, the guy was like a poor man's NBL version of Larry Bird. A cult hero who endeared himself to many. And the expectations weren't high with him, so him playing the role he did was fine

Reply #615528 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

Mike English played one game for the Blaze, registered something like 6 turnovers at sub 10% shooting then was released.

Reply #615531 | Report this post

Jason  
Years ago

Matt Nover for the Kings in 1998
wow
the Kings sign the Indiana star that played under legend coach Bob Knight...... last 7 games, lucky he did avg more points than game just 7.7pts a game,
Was aweful, I remember the hype around him

But the best part was he replaced a guy that didn't even leave the gym that year he was so bad Kenny Payne.

Boi the Kings knew how to pick them

Reply #615546 | Report this post

Jason  
Years ago

Matt Nover for the Kings in 1998
wow
the Kings sign the Indiana star that played under legend coach Bob Knight...... last 7 games, lucky he did avg more points than game just 7.7pts a game,
Was aweful, I remember the hype around him

But the best part was he replaced a guy that didn't even leave the gym that year he was so bad Kenny Payne.

Boi the Kings knew how to pick them

Reply #615547 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ontario Lett was so bad due to the fact he was replacing, arguably the best wildcats player to never win a ship.

Other sub par imports during the "lets get an import to fill a role" era.

Reed Rawlings
Sunday Adebayo
Joe Ship
Gerald something
Darryn or Darryl something
Rashad Phillips

It's wonder what the wildcats were paying these guys and what website they were using to find them.

It was like an era when internet speed was poor and they settled for crappy TS rips of movies instead of going the HD route.

Reply #615549 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

The Kings during that era must have gone through a whole roster full of imports. It was a revolving door with imports coming and going before we knew their names.

Reply #615550 | Report this post

Jason  
Years ago

The other thing about Matt Nover, he starred along side Shaq and Penny on Blue chips.

Reply #615556 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reed Rawlings
Sunday Adebayo
Joe Ship - Shipp, from memory his brother was quite famous?
Gerald something - Brown - ex-NBA player, expert at backing you down in the post then shooting a turnaround. Was a recommendation from Luc Longley.
Darryn or Darryl something - Darren Brooks. Was recruited because someone saw him playing pick-up ball and his team kept winning.
Rashad Phillips - A poor man's version of the small, scoring point guards we see today like Randle and Ware. But the wrong fit, as Fisher didn't give him enough rein to bring the best out of him. Fisher wanted a very structured offense, but a player like this needs to be allowed to play with limited boundaries.

Reply #615575 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Zheng Wu wasn't very good.

Reply #615579 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Really. Darryl brooks was picked up coz someone saw him playing pick up Bball?

Reply #615583 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"pick-up ball" may be the wrong terminology. It might've been some sort of summer league

Reply #615584 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The following year, Brooks traveled to Australia to play for the Perth Wildcats in the National Basketball League. He had a successful tenure with the Wildcats - he appeared in 34 games and averaged 15.7 points, 5.7 rebounds, 2.9 assists and 2.0 steals per game.[5] His steals average was the second highest in the league.[5] Brooks shot 49% from the field and 40% from three-point range.

Sounds like he wasn't a dud?

Reply #615588 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Most of those guys listed weren't duds, and definitely aren't worthy of being named in a thread of worst NBL imports ever.
I think people just like a trip down memory lane.

Reply #615590 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

People who name Terrance Ferguson as a dud import aren't really seeing things in context. He is basically a development player taking an import spot. I don't think he should be in this conversation.

Reply #615591 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Most of those guys listed weren't duds, and definitely aren't worthy of being named in a thread of worst NBL imports ever.
I think people just like a trip down memory lane.

That's what I think too a lot of the names people are throwing around shouldn't even be in the conversation.

Reply #615593 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Damon Flint - North Melbourne Giants - in the year that Darryl McDonald missed after his knee injury in the Mark Davis testimonial All-Star game.

Reply #615615 | Report this post

dj  
Years ago

Rashad Phillips was leading the league in Ass with over 8 per game when Fisher sacked him for not abiding by his tough structured play. He was a player that needed the freedom to wheel and deal and he showed us what he was capable of.

Ontario Lett was a player I really liked at the time but the refs absolutely caned him for every thing he did. I remember in the preseason comp overseas he was the all star 5 starting C and averaged over 30ppg in that series for the cats.

Reed Rawlings was a good player and was averaging around 14ppg when after like 3 games he was let go as James Harver was exactly the same type of player and fan favourite so it was the wrong time for him.

AD Smith and Ryan Mendez are my picks as they were just plain bad and looked like social C grade players. They were just bad.

Reply #615637 | Report this post

Gamephasis  
Years ago

Nate Driggers

Played a handful of games for the Giants in the 1997 season as a replacement import for D-Mac. Averaged less than 5ppg. I believe he replaced Darnell 'D-Hos' Hoskins who scored something like 44 points in a half against, I believe, the Kings.

Reply #615673 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

"English and Lett were bad, as those numbers show. Jo Jo was such a disappointment, he has some good games but he seemed so lost against good opposition when I watched him."

The problem with Jo Jo was that he was not what Adelaide needed. We had lost Andrew Svaldenis after the 1994 GF loss which pretty much left Willie Simmons, Brett Wheeler and Mark Davis as the team's only big (200+ cm) men who would play regular minutes. But after Mike McKay took a charge and fell on Willie Simmons' leg which did Willie's ACL, Adelaide needed another big man, a centre, yet strangely Mike Dunlap went and recruited another (young - English was only 25) guard.

That basically meant that Adelaide's front court was Wheels, Davis and Chris Blakemore....and that was it for the season (occasionally Rose or McKay would play SF). We actually did well to make the Semi's IMO.

Jo Jo wasn't bad, he averaged 14.8 points, 3.3 rebounds and 2.7 assists in 21 games, he just wasn't what Adelaide needed especially as they already had Robert Rose, Brett Maher, Mike McKay and Scott Ninnis as their guards.

Reply #615704 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:37 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754