Anonymous
Years ago

"Unsportsmanlike" Fouls

I just heard them talking about this on the broadcast. Is the term "unsportsmanlike" and the definition of what this is unique to the ANBL?

Topic #40572 | Report this topic

koberulz  
Years ago

It exists in every basketball league in the world.

Reply #615662 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ANBL, whats that? Clearly a Kiwi

Reply #615664 | Report this post

Baller#3  
Years ago

The NBA call unsportsmanlike fouls flagrant fouls?

Reply #615667 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Going back many moons, they were called deliberate. That was seen to be problematic because there are situations in which a team will deliberately foul, usually in the dying minutes, or the hack-a-Shaq tactic.

Since then the terminology has changed. Not sure if "Flagrant Unsportsmanlike" is the current or penultimate terminology.
But you get the idea. It is present in every league.

Reply #615681 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They weren't called deliberate. They were called "intentional fouls".

NBA calls them flagrant fouls.

Then you have technicals.

Reply #615682 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Dazz, stop explaining things you don't understand.

They were called 'intentional fouls' until 1995, when they became 'unsportsmanlike fouls'. They have never been 'flagrant fouls', that's the NBA, it's a completely different system.

Reply #615686 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Kobe, did it ever occur to you that the OP might be someone who mostly pays attention to the NBA and might not necessarily register all the little nuances between NBA and non-NBA leagues?

You sound antagonising and burnt out - it's not the most charming way to get your points across.

And if you're going to delve into semantics with Dazz, then you'd better walk the walk yourself - you say the USF term/definition is present in every basketball league in the world but you also establish the fact the NBA calls it a flagrant foul and is a "completely different system". Semantics says contradiction.

TL;DR: Be nicer.

Reply #615690 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I said 'basketball league', not whatever the hell the NBA is.

Reply #615693 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

The National Basketball Association is the pre-eminent men's professional basketball league in North America, and is widely considered to be the premier men's professional basketball league in the world.

It's even mentioned twice, probably purely out of spite for you kobe ;)

Reply #615696 | Report this post

Baller#3  
Years ago

I wish basketball was treated like soccer and had 1 court, 1 set of rules for all leagues in the world...

Reply #615699 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

It's even mentioned twice, probably purely out of spite for you kobe
And I'm sure it says on Stephenie Meyer's bio that she's an author.

Reply #615700 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

any Mod's around ?

Reply #615722 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is just a couple of people making fools of themselves I don't think mods are needed here.

Reply #615728 | Report this post

Pop  
Years ago

To me the change in terminology is an issue.

I'm much more open to hearing the announcer call 'intentional' foul than 'unsportsmanlike' because of the connotations of the term 'unsportsmanlike' and I wonder if that connotation doesn't also impact on the willingness of at least some officials to call them.

If you take 'intentional' literally it requires an official to be a mind reader so perhaps the change in terminology is understandable, although 'unsportsmanlike', by definition, makes the call a value judgement by the official, which might be part of the reason for the level of variability we see from official to official and game to game.

Reply #615729 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dazz wrong again? KR being the self appointed arrogant expert on everything. Nothings changed.

Reply #615746 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

KloberKlutz,
A) Stop talking about stuff that happened at least a decade before you were born,
B) Stop being a wanker.

Reply #616256 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

If we're talking terminology for the sake of common sense...

"Intention" is about the mind, I've always taken issue with the terminology from the basketball aspect that someone can and often does intend to commit a common foul.

What's the difference? The degree to which it's done usually whether it be unnecessary contact or excessive contact. In which case, I can understand "unsportsmanlike" where you consider the spirit of the game, or "flagrant" which is another way of saying excessive.

Reply #616272 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:38 am, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754