TimberBall
Years ago

Melbourne United Membership options

I was just reading the write up about the United vs Sixers game and it's said that the game was at the State netball and Hockey Centre in front of a sell out crowd of 3500.

I realise that it is most likely due to the Australian Open that they did not play at Hiscence where United get more then double that every home game. But what does that do for membership? Does it need to be capped at 3500 as to not leave fans without tickets or is there a certain option that gets you only to Hiscence games?

Not looking to buy a membership or go, just curious.

Topic #40588 | Report this topic

AC  
Years ago

Membership doesn't include the two games held at SNHC. A few weeks before these games members are given the opportunity to purchase tickets on a first in best dressed basis for seating. After a few days the tickets are then made available to the general public.

Reply #616152 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Another option would be to make sure United don't play a home game during the Australian Open period. It's not ideal, sure, but treat it like the Spurs "rodeo trip" or whatever the issue was with Cairns earlier in the season.

Instead of playing out of the piddly SNAHC just play away games and maybe include a bye round for United to help deal with it. I've been to SNAHC on countless occasions and my word it's just so small and amateurish. It's comfortable, sure, but i'm happy LK moved the Tigers/United to Hisense and Margaret Court Arena.

Melbourne deserves to be in big professional stadia, it's the sporting city!

Reply #616161 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

The Cage provides a better pure viewing experience than any other NBL venue I've attended (RLA, Hisense, Sydney Ent Cent, State Sports Centre Sydney, Brisbane Ent Cent). The Velodrome (Hisense) seating positions in comparison are nothing like it in terms of actually watching the game.

However a 3,500 capacity doesn't cut it with where the league is right now. On the other hand a 3-4 weeks away stretch is unreasonable too. So my suggestion to resolve this dilemma: just one game there next yr instead of two.

Reply #616169 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne have to play 2 games a season out of SNHC. It is part of there agreement with SNHC, after they left the cage for good to play out of hiesne when they re branded.

Reply #616171 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

100% agree KET.

LV, 4 weeks on the road is definately reasonable. As KET suggested, offer United a bye during that time if they cant hack such a long stretch on the road. Dont forget, being in Melbourne, they dont travel too far anyway except to go to Perth - and their on the road too due to tennis, so that wont happen anyway.

Reply #616172 | Report this post

Haz  
Years ago

Anon, why is it part of their agreement? Was a long term contract signed to play there years ago and United want out but cant?

Reply #616173 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

yeahh well thats what im assuming, in order to get out of there contract they had to agree to play 2 games over january

Reply #616178 | Report this post

TimberBall  
Years ago

Cheers guys, that cleared that up.

Agree with the road trip KET, the Cats are a on one now due to the Hopman cup being played at Perth arena so the league can schedule it but maybe, as was said, there is an agreement. If that is the case it's BS for fans (like the Swans and ANZ before this year and Geelong at Etihad). The fans and team should be able to 'own' their venue eg- The Cats and the Jungle, The Kingdome, The Sandpit. And not have to worry about moving week to week.

Reply #616189 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:10 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754