College Fan
Years ago

Grayson Allen back on court for Duke

Allen back today after serving single game suspension that Coach K said was indefinite. WTF! Why didn't NCAA or ACC step in in and sanction this serial tripper in the beginning? Do not comprehend how he got away with it. Except to say there are rules for the elite and another set entirely for the battlers. Whole situation is an unaccountable crock of sh*t.

Topic #40606 | Report this topic

AKA  
Years ago

I imagine the loss to Va Tech played a part in Coach K ending the suspension short. What a joke! If that was a non national POY candidate at a small mid major who had all the same indiscretions, it would have been a much harsher penalty.

Reply #616556 | Report this post

Duke Fan  
Years ago

indefinite
ɪnˈdɛfɪnɪt/Submit
adjective
lasting for an unknown or unstated length of time.

1 game fits within the definition friends. He's also been stripped of his captaincy role. Hopefully the kid has learnt a lesson and he's not the serial killer some have tried to make him out to be

Reply #616559 | Report this post

AKA  
Years ago

Thanks for clarifying what indefinite means....... I'm sure 1 game was what the NCAA and ACC had in mind when Duke said they would penalise Allen. His reaction after the latest in a string of tripping incidents was bizarre. Looked out of control (perhaps the fact he looks like the kid out of Deliverance has something to do with it). Either way, the blue bloods get away with a joke of a penalty. I doubt he 'learnt his lesson' by having a 1 game rest. It's a shame he constantly displays these antics as he has more talent in his little finger than most players have in their whole body.

Reply #616564 | Report this post

Duke Fan  
Years ago

That's ok. Thought you might need some help with it when you talk about "ending the suspenion short." :)

Reply #616566 | Report this post

AKA  
Years ago

I should have prefaced that sentence with 'compared to what the basketball world thought' Coach K ended the suspension short. I'm sure if Duke hadn't lost to VA Tech then Allen would still be on suspension. I'm assuming that Duke didn't have 1 game in mind when announcing an 'indefinite' suspension. .

Reply #616572 | Report this post

Duke Fan  
Years ago

I don't know what they had in mind. No one does but those involved. I don't condone what the kid did but I also think some of the reaction has been a bit over the top. Even yours...."latest in a string" " constantly displays these antics" Bit of hyperbole I think

There's been 3. 3.

The first one was a bit of dumb gamesmanship and I don't think he meant it to be as bad as it looked. The next 2 were petulant reactions after he thought he was fouled. All stupid but I don't think any of them were as bad as some have suggested and to be honest I was more disappointed with his ridiculous dummy spit on the bench after the last one. But I definitely don't condone his actions. Duke doesn't condone his actions. I guarantee you Coach K doesn't condone his actions. I'm 100% sure this was his last chance and Coach handled it as he saw fit. He's been given a chance. If it happens again I would think he'd be gone. If the ACC or NCAA wanted him out longer they should have done it themselves

For all those who think he's been dealt with lightly because he plays for Duke, there are plenty who think the reaction has been over the top and people want him punished far more severely.......because he plays for Duke

Reply #616575 | Report this post

AKA  
Years ago

It's the third time in less than 12 months that he has intentionally tripped someone up? Name one other instance (off the top your head) that it has happened by any other player. How is that not 'a string' or 'consistent? I struggle to see how you could make a case for it being anything but. Perhaps the fact you're a Duke fan (an assumption made by your user name) gives you a biased view? I'm the same when it comes to SMC so I get that! There is no doubting they are childish reactions to what seems to be a difficulty controlling his emotions.

Coach K said after today's game that the reason the suspension lasted only 1 game is due to himself about to receive back surgery and is due to be absent for 4 weeks. He wanted to be the one to bring Allen back into the lineup and not interim coach Capel. Fair enough too. As you state, Duke should have never been allowed to handle the suspension rather it should have been the ACC who I doubt would have been so lenient. I doubt any other school (barre the top blue bloods) would have been allowed to self discipline.

Reply #616579 | Report this post

Duke Fan  
Years ago

Oh I'm absolutely biased, I just don't think he's reached Draymond Green level as yet

Anyway it's done and let's hope we never have to see another instance. He's a great player and could have a long NBA career so hopefully he can be remembered for great things rather than 3 acts of immaturity

Reply #616582 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Draymond Green only got a 1 game suspension for countless act of stupidity in the NBA. Nothing to see here, move along

Reply #616583 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's ok AKA, the NCAA will be releasing a statement some time in the next week...

Reply #616598 | Report this post

AKA  
Years ago

Ha!! Good one Anon! Still waiting.......

Reply #616603 | Report this post

Ras Posse  
Years ago

if he was black and played for any other team he would have copped a ban after the second tripping incident for sure. Also if the same thing had been done by a player against Duke coach K would be screaming that that sort of thing could cause a player a career ending injury. And dont forget how upset Coach K got with Dillon Brooks last year...

Reply #616604 | Report this post

Years ago

what was discussed between the clemson and north carolina coach post game ? bit aggro on TV

Reply #616623 | Report this post

Latrentis  
Years ago

Draymond Green is black and only copped a one game suspension as anon noted so don't bring race into this. Its more about the prestige of Duke. When you have built a program up like Coach K has without any NCAA violations etc then your players tend to be a bit 'protected' as such. I don't condone what Allen did and definitely think it warranted a longer suspension, not sure why he wasn't thrown from the game?. Maybe if the ACC had of stepped in things would be different?
Anyway it's done and dusted now, they have a tough month ahead with Coach K not fully at the realm. Lets hope our boy Jack White can get some more minutes!!

Reply #616630 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm a Duke fan and this is really annoying. The NCAA/ACC stayed out of it because to step in when Duke/Coach K have announced an indefinite suspension says they don't trust the program and coach to manage it appropriately. And they can't say that about Duke.

From Allen's reaction both in-game and afterwards, he needs more time to get a handle on what's going on, and reinstating him after one game - especially a bad road loss - sends him the entirely wrong message. It says 'we need you on the court more than we need you to figure your shit out.' And yes, I think the Warriors send the same message to Draymond Green and yes, I think that's stupid, too, and the NBA finals pretty much back that up.

And Duke Fan, I don't get how you can be ok with this. I understand the argument that Allen being 'dirty' has been overblown because he plays for Duke, but isn't that the point? We can and should expect Duke to be better than that because they tell us they are. When they tell us they are and then don't live up to it, it justifies criticism that could otherwise be written off as 'hate.' Coach K is a phenomenal coach, he's been successful in so many different ways. I want to believe that his success doesn't deserve the same asterisk that should follow Calipari's. Is reinstating Allen early cheating? No. But it's also not the right thing to do.

Reply #616651 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Good to see Allen has changed his ways. No more tripping, it's all about connecting with a back kick to the balls now.

Reply #617246 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:31 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754