Isaac
Years ago

Taipans vs Breakers, Jan 6

Bottom of the table clash! Cairns are 1-4 over their last five while the Breakers are barely better at 2-3. Yet these are two capable teams and either are still in touch with the four if they can get this.

Winner gets out of the basement.

Your pick?

Topic #40613 | Report this topic

Tom  
Years ago

If Breakers don't win then we have no chance of making finals. Cairns are capable of upsetting, but long term they are out of playoff picture.
Finally got a point in Dillard a la Ware, Randle. Remains to be seen whether in their class but he is of that type, scoring point who can pass.
Our shooters will benefit with spread floor and Dillard working an on ball.
Pledge and Jawai will cancel, so it will come down to the shooting of Glidden,Trice, Loughton, McCarron, Edwin v Dillard, Carter, Penney, Delany and Loe.
Breakers look like they might have an edge even though it is still unproven.
I expect a close game with Breakers pulling away at the death.
I am far from confident though.

Reply #616731 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Is Dillard playing? I haven't even seen anything to say he's signed.

Reply #616736 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

Wortho a game time decision, ankle injury.

Reply #616738 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't mind Breakers +4.5 at $1.84 with Crown, especially if Wortho doesn't play

Reply #616742 | Report this post

Bill on the ball  
Years ago

Breakers to lose if they don't have Corey or Stockton.

They will go down by a whisker I predict. Trice will open Breaker's defence unfortunately.

Reply #616746 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

Taipans to win as long as:

1. One of Trice and Gliddon get going
2. Jawai doesn't draw a bunch of mystery fouls then get tech'd for protesting (yes, still angry about that)
3. Weigh and Loughton spend no more than 15 mins on the court between them :-)

Reply #616749 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

INJURY UPDATE: Mark Worthington will be rested for tonight's game against the New Zealand Breakers.

Reply #616766 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Clear blocking foul by Loughton....

Reply #616773 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

Who's doing colour commentary tonight?

Reply #616775 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Trigger?

NZ are smothering Cairns on D.

Reply #616776 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

Oh. Not great, but still better than Rosen.

Seriously though, how bad has this game been so far? Cairns flat out stink.

Reply #616777 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

11-11.... Friday night basketball, everybody.

Cairns need a guy on the wing who can create a shot badly...

Reply #616780 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

How are we not winning this game by 10. This does look a battle for last, 28 and 29%.

Reply #616783 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

How are we not winning this game by 10. This does look a battle for last, 28 and 29%.

Reply #616784 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Pretty cool bit of trivia on the broadcast, Alex Loughton is the only Aussie to score 20 or more points in his first 3 NBL games back with Perth.

Reply #616785 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Cairns need a guy on the wing who can create a shot badly...
I think they'd prefer having someone who can do it well!

Reply #616786 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

More trivia: Tonight is the first game in NBL history where neither team scored 12 or more points in the 1st Q. (from @NBLFacts on Twitter).

Reply #616787 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

It's not one for the time capsule to be sure but who would've expected a game between these two teams to be anyway.

Reply #616788 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Taipans look terrible coming out after the half time break.

Reply #616789 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Heh that illegal screen hip check by Jawai had me thinking if its Marcus Smart instead of Carter, Smart would've bounced off all the way to the fifth row.

Reply #616790 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This game is so bad that Cairns are now tweeting their substitutions

Reply #616791 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Horrible officiating down the stretch.

Back court not called on Cairns; then a phanton foul call on the Weeks' drive.

Reply #616796 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There was no mention as to what the last two tech fouls were for against New Zealand?

Reply #616797 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Well that game had everything. Low scoring, an injury, a botched ending ... glad it's over.

Reply #616798 | Report this post

AC  
Years ago

Another week of terrible officiating in Cairns.

Reply #616799 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

haha a W is a W.

Reply #616800 | Report this post

Ricky Diculous  
Years ago

So... did the commentators not notice there were 2 tech fouls in the last minute?
Not a single mention of them.

Reply #616802 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

I was thinking the same thing about he techs, what the heck happened?! Commentators too busy talking garbage about hairstyles or something similarly mind numbing.

And I cannot recall the last time I watched a game that was just so horrible fm start to finish, ech.

Reply #616805 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

That's our season!!!
We controlled that game all the way then got the jitters when it got close.
Who picked up the T's at the end of the game.
Those 3 missed FT's could have given us life but Finn ended up with the ball and did not really know what he was going to do.
Weigh and McCarron had good ones for Cairns.
Lets hope we can upset some of the favourites to get something out of
the season.

Reply #616809 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Two pretty poor teams - probably fair enough they are wooden spooners. Just horrible to watch.

Not sure why Stockton didnt play more? I guess he is in the doghouse.

Pledger is another one who deserves more game time. Play him the last 5 minutes, we just look better with him on the court.

The Breakers balance is just not right. Penney is the oldest player in the league and Lil starting. Just not enough there in this league sorry

Reply #616810 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

That was truly the epitome of second last vs last!
The worst game of the year,barely QBL quality!

Reply #616818 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

Good god, just got home from that and wishing I could have the last 3 hours of my life back. Any other team would have torn us to shreds. Fortunately the Kirk Penny Experience were about as bad as we were and we somehow managed to edge it at the end but jeez it was a tough watch.

Reply #616820 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

yep, that was seriously ugly.

Kirk Penny was a pleasure to watch, the way he moves WITHOUT the ball is second to none, just going about his job with PURPOSE whilst accumulating points....

Reply #616825 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pretty ugly game for both sides. Luckily the Breakers +4.5 bet managed to win, thanks to Cairns' 4 choke freethrows in the final 39sec.

Reply #616829 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

^^Huh??

Reply #616830 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

"Back court not called on Cairns;"

Because the possession had reset (due to shot hitting the rim) and Weeks didn't have control of the ball when it went backcourt.

That, and Kirk Penney's foot being on the line by a mm were about the only two calls right all game, but let's not give the refs full credit for the terribleness of this game. The players deserve that.

Reply #616832 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Breakers +4.5 line means you add 4.5 points to their final score, meaning the bet posted near the top of the thread won since cairns only won by 2 points. If they sunk all/most those freethrows in the final 40ish seconds it wouldn't have since they would have won by potentially 5 or 6.

Reply #616833 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

Anyone know why Fearne doesn't play Heuir, especially in situations like that abysmal first quarter?

We're going to lose him and he's going to flourish at another club (see Nathan Sobey).

Reply #616834 | Report this post

miracle.touch  
Years ago

The 2 tech fouls were on Vukona first (I didn't see it happen), and then Henare said something to the ref out of the corner of his mouth and looked surprised that the ref heard it and teched him.

Reply #616837 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

CNS clearly missed Wortho's leadership, control and decision making tonight. He is their MVP.

Reply #616838 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

Just what I was thinking the whole game. Wortho would've pulled the team back into it. Cairns had nobody else tonight who could do that.

And Trice is still a flog. Frankly everything Bevo said in the media about Harris this week applies just a such to him.

Reply #616840 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

these imports are kids & these clubs have no money....dont be too harsh.

Reply #616841 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No money? They're required to spend $900k which is not far off the cap.

Reply #616847 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

terrible game, I had thought about going to watch Sunday's game at the NSEC but I don't know if I could sit through that mess for 40mins.

Reply #616850 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

As you well know Mystro, NZ v Adelaide is a completely different game to a Breakers game in Cairns, which have mostly been slogs for years.

To whoever asked why Pledger doesn't play more, NZ generally outscore opponents with Loe on the floor and go backwards with Chief on the floor, even though he's playing some good ball.

Get Dillard and Abercrombie into this team and they can make a run, but if they lose Sunday they'll likely be two games off fourth and that will make it tough.

For all their self-inflicted wounds Cairns now likely within a game of fourth and back in with a show. Can't see it happening though, Fearne's system only seems to work with a level-headed PG, and they certainly don't have that.

Reply #616851 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

There's something seriously wrong in the Taipans group at the moment, the body language last night was terrible in the time outs. A few of the players weren't acknowledging Fearne when they came off the court either. A big last-chance game like this and you'd think he'd be pulling out every trick he has and fighting for every call but he was very, very subdued.

Reply #616858 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

What's seriously wrong is keeping this coach.End of story,full stop,exclamation mark.

Reply #616862 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Anon, too late for Dillard. Cairns was a must win.
Now we have to go up against a red hot Sixers outfit that could really give it to us or at the very least win comfortably.
Then we are 8 of 12 and having to go 7 of the last 8 just to have any chance.
We are stuck with Stockton to serve out the season. He was OK and Shea Ili was good but they are not going to be the difference to get us to playoffs.
I just hope we are competitive tomorrow and play with some heart. Loe, Delany have benefited from more time so maybe we can look to next season. Pledge is going great and I'm looking forward to his match up with Hodson.

Reply #616863 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Why o Why o Why.
If Dillard was to come in he had to come in for both games of the double header. Now it is MUST MUST win against the comp leaders Sunday( to go to 9 of 11) and no margin for error the rest of the season. (4 home including Perth. Melbourne, Cairns and Sydney , 4 away including Sydney, Brisbane, Adelaide and Hawks) requiring at least 6 wins.
I have said for the past month that there were doubts around Stockton. And what was going on with keeping Woodside hanging around.
Dillon rabbits on about club values blah, blah, blah. There is only one value that counts in his line of work and that is a building a winning team (right players) a la Melbourne, Sixers and then keeping it winning (right coaching).
It was clear early in the season that ball handling on this team was weak, and TO's would prove a problem.
Dillon needed to be decisive. Need a miracle now.

Reply #616866 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Breakers lost their superstar GM in the off-season didn't they? (can't remember where he went to). But signs of poorer management are starting to show.

Reply #616870 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Anon was me sorry. Definitely not too late for Dillard, Breakers aren't far off fourth as it stands, even a loss Sunday will likely only leave them two games out, but they would have to close out some season series from there and will need Abercrombie to step back in to good form right off the bat.

Reply #616892 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Richard Clarke joined Lemanis in Brisbane to resurrect the Bullets.

Reply #616895 | Report this post

mystro  
Years ago

I'll probably go now that they have announced the new PG is playing on Sunday.

Reply #616907 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:27 pm, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754