Anonymous
Years ago

Perth @ Brisbane 9/1/17

As a Perth fan, I would've been happy to take a 1-1 split from this road-trip before the weekend started. Of course, having now won the first, it would be a massive boon if we were able to grab both.

Brisbane are a strange team and can lure teams into an "ugly-fest". So despite them looking like they have less talent, I am worried about this game. The Cats have had some stinkers on the road offensively in recent years, and this has the makings of a potential banana peel, or will Cotton's excellence help to overcome the old Perth trait of struggling on the road?

I understand Damian Martin will not play this one, in order to gradually increase his load after that injury.

Topic #40628 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is a chance for Cotton to really flex his skills and show what he's make of.

Would love to see Cotton and Bragg out there and not so much of the Wroe stink fest. Having Cotton show Bragg a thing or two on court can only be positive for the young fella. Lets hope Prather is feeling better too.

Seeing Cotton/Bragg/Prather/Knight and McKay should show some dividends, really looking forward to it.

Reply #617204 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Martin would I imagine, depend on how he pulls up. He only play 18 minutes, so was presumably being managed.
Unless he's really sore, I'd imagine he'll still suit up. Just have to wait and see if he actually takes to the court. Knowing him, if his team needs him, it will be hard to hold him down.
But the great ting is that with Cotton firing from the get-go, they can afford to ease Damo back.
Kenny actually played more than Damo, and that will probably increase against Brissy, but you wouldn't expect that to be the norm.

BIG question is WTF was wrong with Prather, and is 48 hours enough to recover, or will he be worse for the exertion???

Reply #617208 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth win they move to second.

Reply #617209 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I heard Prather had gastro, may be just rumour though.

Reply #617210 | Report this post

Bill on the ball  
Years ago

Without Bairstow and Petrie, I think Brisbane is looking at lady luck to smile on them.

I think the fat lady will be there singing 'It is over darling.'

Reply #617215 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Interested to see how Cotton goes after an exceptional debut. Equally interested to see how Prather rebounds from a bad game. Brisbane have owned Cats so far this season but with Petrie and Bairstow out(both playing large roles for the bullets this year) this is a game that Perth has to and should win.

If Cotton is consistently good as he was on debut I honestly think Perth have the best starting 5 in the league - yes I know that's probably my supporter goggles on but it's right up there.

Cotton scored his 26 fairly effortlessly but it was is impact on the rest of the team that impressed me, in particularly McKay. I can't wait too see if that trend continues - McKay is a very underrated player.

Reply #617221 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I heard prather had a severe case of sooky sooky la la. he is expected to be ok if he is able to stomach a large mug of harden the f#ck up tomorrow morning

Reply #617222 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

^^Lol

Reply #617224 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Lets not forget that Brissy will be freash, and haven't even travelled for two weeks. And they still have plenty of big bodies. Tough ask for the Cats to back up with another win.

Once again, I think McKay will be key. When he's not firing, he can become a liability against the big bodies. But when he's on song, his speed and athleticism cannot be matched. If he can come up with another ~20 points, plus his usual fare of boards and blocks, that will go a long way towards setting up another win.

Reply #617226 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brissie have lost Bairstow and Peach but they still have Young, Jervis, Kickert and Craig. Incredible capable front line.

The Wildcats should not be hyped up too much. They could be tired, Damo is not playing (Gleeson said one game only this weekend).

Wildcats have to pull a massive rabbit of the hat for this one.

Reply #617228 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Damo is a game day decision depending on how he pulls up from the Sydney game. He played limited minutes so there's a good chance he will but I would not be surprised if he starts on the bench and comes in if needed. Your right though , Brisbane still have a great front court - this game will be won with the battle of the back court.

Reply #617243 | Report this post

Hoopster  
Years ago

Wonder what the reaction from Beal will be as Cotton will be wearing his old number, prob try & guard Cotton at some stage.... Good luck with that.

Reply #617259 | Report this post

Hoopster  
Years ago

Train totally agree about McKay. It's not the shot blocking, it's that he causes guys to change their shots. McKay, Prather & Cotton are only going to get better as they play together

Reply #617262 | Report this post

BOL  
Years ago

In previous seasons the cats have dropped off mentally in post christmas fixtures and have especially been awful in Queensland. But this season things appear very different. They've been working their butts off to arrest their form slump, safe to say less indulging on egg nog this chrissy, and it looks like they're finding their mojo at the right time of year.

In saying that the bullets were super impressive against them at the arena. Its been a surprise to me they didnt go on with it after that game and find themselves in the top two right now. They have had injuries but as mentioned still have a strong front court and they will be fresher for this one.

So much hinges on if Prather has recovered from his illness.

Bullets by 2 hollow points

Reply #617263 | Report this post

Bill on the ball  
Years ago

Assuming Prather is ok, I predict Cats to wreck havoc with Cotton.

It will be a blowout...cats by 15.

Reply #617265 | Report this post

cats 4 life  
Years ago

They got that belief now, knowing damo is there and got cotton. Would have like to see this team from the start with no injuries how would they been up to this point in time.

Perth move to second with a w tomorrow night and looking forward to next Saturday night playing the top team, crowd will go nuts seeing the captain hopefully no more set backs and give this a great shot.

Reply #617268 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I don't expect fatigue to be much of a problem. Sydney --> Brisbane is nothing, and having a recovery day in between games makes it a much different proposition to if it were back-to-backs. Certainly no excuses for the Cats given the health issues the Bullets are dealing with.

Reply #617275 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

To have any chance, Brisbane have to get career highs out of Beal, Kickert and Gibson AND Perth have to play poorly.
Can't see either happening.
Perth on paper are a better all round team esp with Cotton and Martin's return.
Prather will be interesting.
Can he play second fiddle and accept his new role? Perth fans might be able to answer that.
I expect Mackay's numbers to pick up permanently.
Tough night for Brisbane!

Reply #617285 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

"Perth win they move to second."

PER lose they go to sixth.

Reply #617287 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I've got no doubt that Prather can play second fiddle - in fact I think it should suit him. Maybe one game is early to judge, but it seems like Cotton is not excessively ball-dominant, so Prather will still get plenty of looks.

I know things are looking up for the Cats but I don't think tonight will be a walk in the park either. Brisbane still have some weapons and some good match-ups for ours. I'm thinking we'll be directing our offence more through Knight than Prather in this one, and looking to keep Brandt rolling as well. He's been very effective in the last few games.

Reply #617318 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

"If Cotton is consistently good as he was on debut I honestly think Perth have the best starting 5 in the league - yes I know that's probably my supporter goggles on but it's right up there. "

Not an unreasonable comment at all.

One player can make all the difference. It's early days but the signs suggest Cotton could be for Perth what Ware has been for United.

Reply #617320 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Did Brisbane make any changes of note after the Bairstow and Petrie injuries? I know Tueta came in. And there was talk of Kendle, but was that it? I would've thought with the import spot up their sleeve, they could have made a decisive change and given their season a decent chance?

Reply #617332 | Report this post

AKA  
Years ago

Agree totally with Isaac's comment above. Given the injuries sustained and the vacant import spot, I thought they could have been more aggressive in the market ala United with Ware and the Cats with Cotton. Even NZ went out and got a like for like replacement import when Woodside went down (although Stockton has been subsequently let go). Perhaps Lemanis thinks they have enough to make a run and didn't want to 'upset' any chemistry they have been building.

Reply #617360 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not based off anything, just a possible idea; maybe with all the recent acquisitions of other teams they don't think they can make a serious deep run into the playoffs and potentially win it. They might want to save the money and build some cohesion with the core they have and get minutes into guys and different line ups and look to retool and make a run next year.

Reply #617363 | Report this post

AKA  
Years ago

I doubt any team is looking at next year at this stage. With the league as even as it is, all it will take is for a team to get a little hot or a bit of luck and anyone can beat anyone as we have already seen. In saying that, I think we are starting to see a little separation in the performance levels by certain squads. That gap can be made up by teams in the bottom half of the ladder for mine.

Reply #617366 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

There was a local article a few days ago stating the the Bullets anticipated giving Kendle a run. He won't play tonight due to injury, but he'll likely play the following game. Izzwill play tonight, assuming he is done when Kendle comes in.

Reply #617370 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Something was obviously wrong with Prather against Sydney. Whether it was "gastro" or something else, or just an off night. I think its a bit early to proclaim that he will play 2nd fiddle. He's still their best player, but there will be less onus on him, particularly as regards carrying the ball.

One other thing, Perth really need to work on their 3 point shooting. Apart from Cotton, it was hopeless against Sydney.
One thing I could not understand, but maybe has something to do with managing his injury comeback, was the number of times they would have Cotton & Prather bring the ball up, whilst Martin went to the corner. He's never been the greatest of shooters, and the other night he was cold.

And one other thing that puzzles me. Why, even when there is a delay, do they so often have Knight inbound the ball from baseline? I can understand user a tall player, but Knight is the slowest guy up the court.

Reply #617376 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

‏@PerthWildcats
"Damian Martin has recovered well from Saturday's game and will play tonight against the Bullets."

Reply #617386 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Huge news for the cats. Even if he plays only 10-15 minutes, having him suited up on the bench and out there in short bursts will be a massive boost for the team.

Reply #617388 | Report this post

TimberBall  
Years ago

Not worried about Prather, he's had to do it all for the whole season (lead, shoot, dribble up, create) then all of a sudden in the space of a game gets his PG and captain back who can defend and a new combo guard who can create and shoot... must be a shock to the system, he'll be fine.

Reply #617389 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agreed with Prather....he has performed so consistently at such a high level this season that when he has an off game people are inclined to think something is wrong.

I think its just a bad game, I saw no visible evidence of injury or slowness. He could be just tired which is understandable when he has had to shoulder that much burden ala Lisch and Newls @ the Kings.

Reply #617390 | Report this post

Bill on the ball  
Years ago

Martin is going to breathe a lot of confidence into the team.

Prather is the worrying one but all seems to be quiet about him so he must be alright.

Cotton would have studied his success yesterday re engaging the biggies, e.g. Matty, Jameel. Pretty sure he would use same strategy again. I just got to say his drive is good as Ricky Grace.

Reply #617391 | Report this post

fstos  
Years ago

Might be better than Grace as Cotton can use both hands.

Reply #617402 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

McKay looking rejuvenated

Reply #617422 | Report this post

Mike  
Years ago

Jameel's hit a good vein of conidence

Reply #617423 | Report this post

Mike  
Years ago

Yis bru

Reply #617426 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hating this low court side camera angle they've used a few times

Reply #617429 | Report this post

TimberBall  
Years ago

Can this court side camera please piss off

Reply #617430 | Report this post

AKA  
Years ago

I was just about to say the same thing anon. It's terrible! Hopefully the NBL realise that sooner rather than later and put it on the bin

Reply #617431 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Solid start. Going inside-out consistently.
Prather already getting dividends from his previous game sooking with a soft call on the drive going his way.

Reply #617432 | Report this post

Mike  
Years ago

Cats 11+ looking good

Reply #617434 | Report this post

leungtl  
Years ago

Casey and Sobey must have gone to the same Hospital.

Reply #617435 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Tough night for Brisbane. Getting tougher.

Reply #617436 | Report this post

Mike  
Years ago

I agree that low angle camera is terribad

Reply #617437 | Report this post

DaHuzyBru  
Years ago

the cats have yet to get a defensive stop this quarter...

Reply #617439 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How is Wroe still getting court time

Reply #617441 | Report this post

DaHuzyBru  
Years ago

^Wroe's got more points than Cotton right now, so...

Reply #617442 | Report this post

Mike  
Years ago

Cotton having a mare

Reply #617443 | Report this post

AKA  
Years ago

and someone was saying he could be better than Ricky Grace.......

Reply #617444 | Report this post

Mike  
Years ago

lel

Reply #617445 | Report this post

DaHuzyBru  
Years ago

Well, so far that 26-point game is looking like a blip

Reply #617446 | Report this post

Mike  
Years ago

Jesus Kinney

Reply #617447 | Report this post

Mike  
Years ago

You could not have predicted that for a million dollars after the first quarter

Reply #617448 | Report this post

DaHuzyBru  
Years ago

and the Bullets are leading at half time... well done cats, really f**ked that Q up. Terrible shooting

Reply #617449 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jarrod Kenny and Corban Wroe are not NBL standard. Kenny thinks he's so good can't make an open jump shot to save his life

Reply #617450 | Report this post

DaHuzyBru  
Years ago

a mere 5 field goals for that cats in the 2nd. Cotton with a big donut, followed by Prather's donut in the 2nd

Reply #617451 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Nice one Izzy. Well done Brisbane. Back in it.

Reply #617452 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That was so ugly...

Reply #617453 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

A bit odd that Dexter didn't get a run in a half where we were 2-12 from outside

Reply #617454 | Report this post

cavolo  
Years ago

As a biased 36ers fan, I really struggle to see how Perf are going to score enough points to win the 'ship little alone make or compete in the finals. Granted their defense has been exceptional for years (and always borderline footy style), however I just don't see them scoring enough to compete with the Hawks, 36ers and United.

They make basketball look so ugly so regularly...

Cotton sure is having the best first to second game difference in performance thus far isn't he!?!

Reply #617455 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

stats say Prather hasn't gotten an assist. I swear he got one in the first quarter where McKay dunked it?

Reply #617458 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pretty sure that was a putback for Mckay not an assist.

Reply #617459 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I thought that was just a missed layup rather than a pass.

Craig that was brutal

Reply #617460 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow, Craig.

Reply #617461 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No not the put back, I'm thinking of a different play, maybe he missed the shot or something on the one I'm thinking of, oh well

Reply #617462 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

wow you can see why McKay was upset with that call

Reply #617463 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Any danger of some points, Cats?

Reply #617464 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

No, Hire, I was not aiming that at you!

Reply #617465 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Jervis's arm all over McKay's face and it's called a travel??

Reply #617466 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wtf is with this reffinf on mckay.

How is that straight up. How was the last. How was that "trip" mckays fault.

Why do the refs seem to have it in for him

Reply #617467 | Report this post

Mike  
Years ago

lolCats

This is awful

Reply #617469 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

First team to 50 and lets just call it a night.

Reply #617470 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cats are tired Brisbane has no excuse

Reply #617471 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Such terrible basketball from all 3 teams tonight

Reply #617472 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Playing with Prather must be like playing westbrick. A ball-hog selfish player with no understanding of team concept.

Reply #617473 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

lol refs. Holy crap. Enough bad calls to really influence the outcome. Also surprised at some of the commentary on the replays.

Gibson has been good to watch though.

Reply #617474 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^^^^ gibbo has been awesome

Reply #617475 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

what is getting called. Mckay hitl travel. then foul when a player next to him falls over??

charge when gibson has a foot in the air moving across??

the refs aren't making it a better looking game thats for sure

Reply #617476 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can we just next season sack all refs and get new ones

Reply #617477 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Brisbane's mistake was playing the song "The Joker and the Thief" over the sound system to start the quarter. The same song the Wildcats use to start the 3rd quarter at Perth Arena, probably made them feel right at home.

Reply #617478 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Hope Cotton's just having an off night... 1-8 shooting, 1 assist and 2 TOs in 25mins so far.

Reply #617479 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm all for new refs, they can't be any worse

Reply #617480 | Report this post

Mike  
Years ago

Look who decided to wake up

Reply #617481 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Unfortunately the only way we are ever getting decent refs is going to be through a crowd funded effort to actually pay their salary. Otherwise we are stuck with what we have i fear.

Reply #617482 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The refs shut up for 2 and a half minutes and we get to watch basketball.

Reply #617483 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What are these refs seeing that we aren't. This is baffling

Reply #617485 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That is not a charge. dude is moving. brassy getting some home town bs calls

Reply #617486 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Really not impressed with the reffing tonight.

Impressed with Tueta though.

Reply #617487 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Yeah shocking charging call on Prather. Tueta barely got in front of him.

Reply #617488 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Alright I'll glady donate to hire new refs please

Reply #617489 | Report this post

Air Delay  
Years ago

I LOVE Damian Martin!
Only one bloke could make wearing #53 cool.

Reply #617490 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Nice Cotton pick'n roll

Reply #617491 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cotton pretty clutch, standing up when it matters

Reply #617492 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Glad to see Cotton still has his head after that.

Reply #617493 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

...then crashing to the deck

Reply #617494 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cotton playing in the clutch. hasn't played all that well, but I gotta say when he attacks the basket he looks good

Reply #617495 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How was that not Craigs fifth foul!!!! that was disgusting!

Reply #617497 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Carfino slipped a "yeah no kidding", that's Boty's material for the week. ;p

Reply #617498 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

These 3 muppets are trying to help the bullets

Reply #617499 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ummmm, ok?

Reply #617500 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

So i thought the Tueta charge was the worst call i've ever seen..... until that call on Damo.

Wow.

Reply #617501 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Hit ya free frows, Cats

Reply #617502 | Report this post

Green 53  
Years ago

Gotta love nbl referees. Ruining games all year!

Reply #617504 | Report this post

AC  
Years ago

And the officiating has done it for me...

Reply #617506 | Report this post

Btown  
Years ago

Wildcats getting robbed on the chop calls all night,

Reply #617507 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

These 3 muppets are not helping anyone in particular on purpose. They are just terrible

Reply #617508 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

My heart is pumping like crazy at the moment. I had written perth off at 3/4 time

Reply #617509 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agreed, just overall disgusting.

Reply #617510 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Normally see some bad calls each game, but is this one of the more one-sided games for bad calls all year?

Reply #617511 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

It feels like more have gone against Perth but in reality I'm pretty sure it's just random bad decisions as the person a few posts up said

Reply #617512 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Theres been some really bad ones this year, but no doubt this is up there.

Reply #617513 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think overall it has been more individual player calls than one sided for a team. Certain players are being focused on by trigger happy refs.

Reply #617514 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

From 8th to 2nd in basically a week

Reply #617515 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well that was a game never worth watching again unless you enjoy watching 3 guys in grey showing off their opinions

Reply #617516 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Yeah no kidding

Reply #617517 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Impartially it didn't feel like Perth got it much worse than Brisbane IMO. McKay might have been a bit unlucky for that one stretch in the 3rd, but I think he was trying to force things too.

Reply #617518 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Here comes the Cats... 31?

Reply #617519 | Report this post

Air Delay  
Years ago

Well earned 2ND spot on the ladder Cats!

Reply #617520 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They could be back the cats

Reply #617521 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perth playing on tierd legs did enough without playing anywhere near their best.That is now 3 road wins and to road losses in the last 5 games. Sets up a huge monster game against the red hot 6ers in perth.

Reply #617522 | Report this post

AC  
Years ago

PRO: The NBL TV app didn't fail on me once for the first time in weeks.

CON: The NBL Wildcats are looking like they'll head to the finals for another year with a little help from their friends.

Reply #617523 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

YEEESSSS! Gutsy win by Perth. That's 3 in a row on the road. Wasn't pretty but we will take it.

Reply #617524 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Help from which friends?

Reply #617525 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Great effort Brisbane but no cigar. Perth played poorly and Gibson had an excellent night, but all in vain. 3 and 0 on the road, Perth are the real deal.
When they start using the on balls a little better they will be even tougher.

Reply #617526 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The reffing has been a huge issue all year, something needs to be done. Bad calls are always going to happen but it seems there are a large number of calls every game for both sides. Frustrating to watch when its your team, but makes it less appeal to watch games where you are a neutral as it often ruins games.

Reply #617527 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Beal & Jervis? ;)

Reply #617528 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Lol Perth had more bad calls against them than Bullets did.

Reply #617529 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Go look at livestats, the call wasnt a charge call for Tueta it was a moving screen on Knight.... unbelievable

Reply #617531 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Adel vs. Perf! 1 vs. 2! Pretender vs. Champ! Randle vs. Cotton!

Excuse me while I scream excitedly into a pillow...

Reply #617532 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bad calls are one thing. It's the arrogance from the refs that shits me. After McKay was pinged for a foul when Craig just slipped over, the ref made a point of getting in his face and telling him to settle down. How about stop guessing foul calls and players won't get upset?

Reply #617533 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Would you like some tissues anon

Reply #617534 | Report this post

Green 53  
Years ago

Beal 4 points and 4 turnovers. Don't think the wildcats miss his inconsistent play!

Reply #617535 | Report this post

Vic Wildcat  
Years ago

A win is a win, still a way to go to be a contender, but the wins put us in position to at least make a challenge.

As far as the refs go, at least they are not really favouring anyone. Some of the calls are just mystifying, you really do wonder what they are seeing out there, and it is happening every game, against both teams.

We need to get Eddie Crouch, BillY MilLdenhall, Ray Hunt and Geoff Weeks out of retirement, at least you get a consistent game called.

Reply #617536 | Report this post

Btown  
Years ago

3 worst calls of the night.

1) McKay reach or push, daylight between the players and mckays hands in the air and stationary, bullet falls over = foul

2) Martin reach-in in the final minute. Fingers on the ball and nothing else, I honestly have no idea what the ref could have saw with that.

3) Prather charge, bullet starting falling before there was any contact between the two.

Reply #617538 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maybe the refereeing is so bad because we are get to to see all games now on the app and it's a lot more noticeable.
Best side probably still won.

Reply #617539 | Report this post

Ras Posse  
Years ago

Yeah no kidding

LOL

Reply #617541 | Report this post

Daz68  
Years ago

I know home cooking happens but Brisbane must have set up a smorgasbord in the front foyer.

Reply #617542 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Look everyone needs to calm down on individual bad calls. Or this could go on forever. The refs were terrible. Absolutely terrible. They robbed us of an interesting game in so many ways and individual calls were not the reason this time. Nobody got the bad end of the stick except... well EVERYONE. We missed out on a good game for no valid reason.

Reply #617543 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

If the current Top 4 ends up making the playoffs, as it seems likely at the moment, it's going to be fun watching the import guards go at it. Randle vs Clarke vs Ware vs Cotton.

Reply #617544 | Report this post

Bill on the ball  
Years ago

Torrey Craig was huge for Brisbane but even with tired legs, the Cats got home.

Cats fans cannot ask for more..... happy happy.

Reply #617545 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"2) Martin reach-in in the final minute. Fingers on the ball and nothing else, I honestly have no idea what the ref could have saw with that.

3) Prather charge, bullet starting falling before there was any contact between the two."

I think Martin's call is fair enough, as a benefit of the doubt. All players have these clean strips called against them. Wrong call, but not terrible reffing, imo.

Was that actually a charge on Prather? Someone said it was pinged on Knight. I didn't think Knight was moving, but wasn't paying attention to that.

Tueta also got a favourable call after grappling on the post.

Jervis lowering his arms on a block, and follows through into McKay's head is fundamentally bad reffing.

IMO, cotton was denied a clean landing a few times.

Reply #617546 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

From memory on that 'charge' call Knight slipped and did the splits, fairly sure he didn't even touch him.

Reply #617547 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Knight made no contact. Livestats has the foul credited to him. The ref motions and talks to him immediately after the whistle and Knight then swings atound and looks straight at the bench

Reply #617551 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Well that was butt ugly.
Mostly just because NBL TV is total shit. I'd be better off listening on the radio.

And tough, defensive game, but that's what the Cats excel at.

Oh Yeah, tell me again how Prather will have to play "2nd Fiddle." ROFL

3 Road wins on the trot. From the team that "can't win on the road." Opposition must be shitting themselves (and poking pins into Damo Bobble-Heads.)

Reply #617552 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Martin's call was not fair enough. There was no contact, meaning the ref guessed. I'm not saying it doesn't even out but if you dont see contact because there isn't any, you shouldn't really be calling a foul.

Reply #617555 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Martin's call was not fair enough. There was no contact, meaning the ref guessed. I'm not saying it doesn't even out but if you dont see contact because there isn't any, you shouldn't really be calling a foul.

Reply #617556 | Report this post

cats 4 life  
Years ago

Get foxtel, you will have no dramas.
Great win, Saturday night will be the test. Cotton a bit gun shy but made the one's that cont.

Reply #617557 | Report this post

Green 53  
Years ago

Cotton hit by Beal on his second last 3 point attempt was a bad miss too.

Reply #617558 | Report this post

Ben  
Years ago

This pretty much summed the game up for me, and it happened MULTIPLE times.

Lemanis: Hmmm we're getting thumped on the offensive glass ... what to do what to do. I see we've got 7 footer Jervis on the bench. Reuben, go get Kicks!

FFS.

Reply #617559 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Should Jervis have stayed in Perth?

Undoubtedly he's getting more money, and initially it may have looked like a better opportunity.
But even with Bairstow and Petrie out, he doesn't seem to be used very well.
Over the past few years he showed he was good enough to start when Knight was injured, or even alongside Knight. Just seems the "better opportunity" has not eventuated.

Reply #617561 | Report this post

Green 53  
Years ago

I'm glad he's gone! Brandt has shown over the last couple of games what we got him for and has been an ample replacement. Jervis isn't starter quality and besides his dubious "blocks" on McKay his defence and rim protecting isn't the greatest.

Reply #617566 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Was a scrappy game. Nothing too memorable except.

Terrible reffing and woeful camera shots.

OMG. How many plays did we miss with the side court camera!!!! TERRIBLE!!!!!

John

Reply #617568 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hate Perth but loved winning on that 2/1 bet. Brisbane are shot.

Reply #617572 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm glad he's gone! Brandt has shown over the last couple of games what we got him for and has been an ample replacement.

Green53, I would take Jervis over Brandt any day of the week. Jervis was the perfect insurance policy for Matty. His length on D is invaluable off the bench. I can think of one other big man coming off the bench that is as good an inside defender, Holyfield.

Yes Brandt has pulled out a few baby hooks in the last few games, but it has come a long time to arrive. Jervis had less reliable low post moves but he was a good rebounder, kept the ball alive on the offensive end and often got putbacks.

Brandt is not crap, but Jervis is more suited tot he Cats. He is wasted in Brisbane, what a shame but I guess Tom wanted a better payday given his late start in the NBL, its understandable.

Reply #617573 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I feel like Brandt is more of an impact, go-to type player than Jervis. Not as consistent, probably the riskier bet over extended minutes, but the better fit for the Cats current situation where the starting spots are filled. In a team lacking scoring options, Angus is a guy who will get you scores if you can get him good catches.

Reply #617575 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Perth won despite playing poorly and despite the refs.
Gibson slide across to draw a charge that was actually a block on his part.
The Prather charge (Izzy) was one of the worst calls I've seen on a basketball court. Prather hadn't turned the corner and was not going in the direction of the contact.
The Jervis mugging of MacKay was even worse. As previous posts have said he actually went on with it to contact his head.
Usually I don't mind the odd bad call but they all seemed to go against Perth.

Gibson was great. Beal was real anxious and could not get going, a bit personal for him I suppose.
Not sure why Kickert does not get more looks. Does he not go looking or do they not run anything for him.
Craig was your typical pro 20 and 10 night.
Izzy "just give me a go" was fantastic.

Cotton human. Came up with two great plays, the 3 over Te Rangi and the drive down the middle. He doesn't seem to use the on ball screen well and the ball in his hands down the stretch will become the norm for the rest of the season.
Nice little cameos from Brandt, Wagstaff kept them in it.
Prather was back to his best. MacKay wasn't allowed to play his best.
Perth are difficult to play at the best of times but now they are getting their offence sorted they are going to be even tougher. Can they make a run at Adelaide?

Reply #617581 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

IMO; that's enough for me to see. I think Perth will win it all again this year (as much as it pains me to say that).

They are 3 games back from ADL, but have a game in hand. (9 remaining where ADL only have 8).

Reply #617582 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tom you clearly dont read before posting. They didnt call Prather for a charge on Izzy. They called Knight for a moving screen.

Reply #617587 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Got ya Anon. I know it looked ugly but you are then saying that the refs call was that he tripped Tueta or hindered him. Tueta got over the top of the slip without being tripped but was in no position to defend Prather. He fell over trying to draw a charge.This was the only contact on the play.
Listened too carefully to Carfino.

Reply #617589 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Go read livestats. Im not saying the call on knight was correct, there was no contact. It was a phantom on knight simple as that. No one listens to Carfino. The point is people keep posting about Prather and Izzy but there was no call on that contact. They made up one on knight because it looked awkward.

Reply #617590 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cotton is still trying to adjust to his team game plan. They guy looks scared to shoot but once he got into attack mode he looked great. Even the threes he missed in the last were in and out type of shots. in my opinion he is a natural born scorer playmaker second. A true combo guard.

Reply #617612 | Report this post

Brunson  
Years ago

MACDUB "IMO; that's enough for me to see. I think Perth will win it all again this year (as much as it pains me to say that)."

Not sure how you came up with that, after Perth just got the win against an average side depleted with injuries. Yet you saw Adelaide in 2nd gear beat NZ by 18. Not saying Perth don't have a chance to win it but they will have to show more than that. Adelaide @ Perth will be a better test for both teams.

As for the reffing I thought it was pretty normal with both teams getting some bad calls. A little home cooking gave Brisbane the better deal. Martin massively flopping to get the offensive foul against Beal was a bad call against the home side.

It looked a bit like "One trick Cotton" there for a while. If teams limit his open 3 point shot how effective is he going to be. I imagine Sobey will guard him and Randle guard Martin when they match up.

Reply #617623 | Report this post

Brutal Game  
Years ago

Brunson you are a moron if you think Marto flopped when Dolla clearly fouled him. It was an undisciplined foul by a frustrated Dolla.

Reply #617657 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Meh, it doesn't really matter who is "better" out of Jervis or Brandt. Its a done deal. My question was Jervis specific, whether he made the right move?

For record, Brandt is improving, I think it has taken him a while to settle in to his new home and team, get to know his teammates and the plays. He was very good for Sydney, and I think he'll be good for us in the long run.

Reply #617662 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Meh, it doesn't really matter whether Jervis made the "right move". Its a done deal.

Reply #617669 | Report this post

TD15  
Years ago

Brutal game, Martin flopped on that call??? Beal tried to draw a foul, didn't get it and fouled martin in frustration. That was as obvious as it comes

Reply #617775 | Report this post

TD15  
Years ago

Sorry that was directed at Brunson.

Reply #617776 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Martin definitely flopped on the push Mayberry called. No ref in the league falls for more flops than Vaughan (with Tim Mills probably a close second) and I'm sure Damo knew who the nearby ref was.

Reply #617778 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It was definitely a flop. Unfortunately it was consistent with what they'd called all game, and for most of the season actually.

Reply #617786 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Meh, it doesn't really matter whether Jervis made the "right move". Its a done deal.
Hey look, a fuckwit anonytroll.
Haven't seen one of those for almost 5 minutes

Reply #617827 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It definitely wasn't a flop

Reply #617874 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah it was

Reply #617882 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:45 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754