Anonymous
Years ago

American travel rules

been watching college and NBA and can't get a handle exactly what is ok what is a violation stateside.

Seems like you can shot fake and take a step and if you cant release it is ok to start your dribble ? perimeter players do this all the time.

Watch Cal v UCLA and cal tall with a post move dribbled, stepped into his shot, shot faked and then step through to score ????

Topic #40630 | Report this topic

KET  
Years ago

Try to take five steps or less and you'll be fine in America

Reply #617257 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

In the US they've always had a much more lenient view of travelling from the NBA down. It's always seemed to be don't let something like that get in the way of a spectacular play which along with all the iso ball and superstar calls guys like Kobe and Iverson used to get just put me off the NBA in general.

FIBA ball has always been about the rules first spectacular play second and the game is better for it.

Reply #617260 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Since 9/11 it is much harder to travel in the USA.
Since Trump, it is much harder to travel in the USA if you are Latino.

Reply #617271 | Report this post

Years ago

how would the refs know if you are Latino ? Most refs don't even know the names of players.

Reply #617281 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Def need your passport. Getting in the USA is hard work especially with filling out your ESTA.

Getting out is child's play. They hardly glanced at my passport.

Make sure you have your ticket and baggage stub. They cross check these with your bags before exiting the terminal.

Now. Back to basketball.

Cats/Adelaide final. If my geography is accurate. No USA travel. Neither do you need your passport. Unless you don't have any other forms of ID.

John

Reply #617286 | Report this post

Jay  
Years ago

They birthed the sport maybe they have it right.. how bout you look at it like AFL what's too far?? how many meters?? How many steps??? How many times is it over looked

Reply #617305 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Oh, so this is not about how to watch yourself when going abroad with a US passport?

Reply #617334 | Report this post

Btown  
Years ago

US seems to give unlimited steps in the "gather" motion, then the 2 steps kicks in. And if you are holding the ball on the perimeter feel free to not even bother with a pivot foot.

Reply #617679 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

It's probably easier to judge when a player takes more than two steps then it is to judge an AFL player running a distance of 15 metres or whatever the rule is.

They birthed the sport maybe they have it right

Well...I mean it doesn't really seem right to set a very specific rule and then actively break it.

I guess it's not kosher to make a rule stating:

"A player is allowed a maximum of 2 steps, but 3 steps will not be called a travel, nor will 4 steps if you spectacularly dunk the ball in the process. If you take 5 steps, then you'd better be bloody good. Like, comparable to MJ good."

Reply #617700 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

They birthed the sport maybe they have it right..
So the UK gets to dictate the worldwide rules for Soccer, all forms of Rugby, Cricket, Tennis, and Golf.
Whilst Greece has perennial rights pertaining to all Olympic events.
Can we use this to stop other competitors using the Australian Crawl in freestyle?

Reply #617757 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

The refs almost didn't call that.

Reply #619449 | Report this post

Duke Fan  
Years ago

Wow. Can that be anything other than "I'm a superstar so rules don't apply to me" ??
Bizarre

Reply #619452 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

I remember Lanard Copeland doing something very similar in Perth once. Only two or three steps, though, and it wasn't called.

Reply #619454 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

He forgot the dribble lol

Reply #619463 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Westbrook goes walkabout, some of the funniest shit I have seen in the game right there!

Reply #619508 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:38 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754