Isaac
Years ago

Dante Exum trains with D-League team

Dante Exum's faltering season has cost him a place in Utah's NBA squad, with the Jazz demoting the Australian to their D-League affiliate.

The 21-year-old will train with the Salt Lake City Stars on Tuesday (AEDT) rather than preparing with the first team for their clash with Cleveland the following day.
Despite being fit, Exum has been left on the bench by coach Quin Snyder for the Jazz's past two matches.

He has found himself behind star point guard George Hill and Snyder's preferred back-up Shelvin Mack, having endured his first 'did not play - coach's decision' in a game in November.
Source

Could just be for practice on an off day? Hopefully a good chance for him to get time and confidence before working his way back. Presumably Snyder is trying to win now rather than prioritise development, which is reasonable with their roster.

Topic #40641 | Report this topic

Luuuc  
Years ago

The Utah Jazz announced today that the team has recalled guards Alec Burks, Danté Exum and Raul Neto from the Salt Lake City Stars, the Jazz's exclusively owned and operated NBA D-League team. They were assigned earlier today prior to the Stars’ practice.

http://www.nba.com/jazz/jazz-recall-alec-burks-dante-exum-and-raul-neto-salt-lake-city-stars

Reply #617601 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

It is becoming obvious Shelvin Mack is the clear back up, he had out played Dante most of the year particularly when George Hill went down injured.

Dante is starting to look like a bust for the 5th pick in the draft! (It hurts to type this!)

Reply #617602 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Topic title updated.

Maybe they should just play him in the D-League. Let him run himself into some form and build skills.

Reply #617603 | Report this post

spot up  
Years ago

He seems like he just needs to get some time on the court. I'm sure he'd prefer somewhere else rather than D League but not that simple I guess..

He's only 21, still plenty of time.

Reply #617606 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

If Utah are trying to win now he could be of value as a trade chip...his contract is valuable thou and Utah might not be keen to give him up just yet unless they get a nice veteran player that can help then win now.

Reply #617610 | Report this post

lawsy  
Years ago

I'm starting to think we may see Exum in the nbl very soon.

Reply #617617 | Report this post

Cram  
Years ago

He definitely needs minutes. As much as it would be a hit to the ego, time in the d league is what he needs. He needs to go and play without thinking about messing up.

I'm not sure how valuable he is as a trade chip right now. At best he's a reclaim project and wont net you anything close to a number 5 pick value. You might get a decent veteran from a team looking to offload. Maybe the Pels, Blazers or Magic.

Reply #617618 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Trade value would be at the bottom right now so they'd be best to hold him.

Reply #617619 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Trade him to a team who knows how to properly develop players...like the Spurs

Reply #617620 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Before being drafted Dante hadn't played a season in a team since u16 VJBL. It was a time at AIS when they played one off tourneys and developed individually more than team structure as much as in the past.
Couple that with an ACL and missing more time, and you have a player with just not a lot of game reps as he probably should have at that age.

Reply #617624 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Talent is talent, but without the other necessary qualities and preparation one needs to compete in elite sport, talent alone isn't enough.

He just needs to get some work into his body and get himself back into game condition, plus a whole lot of confidence in his body and ability.

Can't label him a bust without seeing how he recovers and rebuilds after missing so much I would have thought...

Reply #617627 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He is so passive for a guard that was touted as a slashing scorer.

All he does is camp in the corne for the 3, and he does occasionally drive he runs away from any contact or turns it over. The only reason he's even stepped out onto the floor is due to the fact he's a damn good defender, he's just such a liability of offense.

At least Tony Allen hustles and gets after everything, he's currently a poor version of Tony Allen without the hustle, and that's bad.

Reply #617642 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

"I'm starting to think we may see Exum in the nbl very soon." LOL!!

6'6 athletic point guards dont grow on trees, his only 21 he will be fine!

Reply #617668 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He'll be in the nbl once his contract is up, he's not an nba player, not tough enough.

Reply #617723 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is what happens when they try to jump the process, he should have gone to college, can't see Simmons being any different

Reply #617738 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Simmons will be fine, he has a different toughness than dante, he should've went to college or trained with an Nbl club to get used to playing against men. getting injured also didn't help. The DLeague might not be a bad idea for him as he needs to play.

Reply #617748 | Report this post

AC  
Years ago

^^^
I'm in two camps. I'd love to see Exum play in the NBL but I'd like to see him get further opportunity in the NBA and hopefully make something of it.

I'd be expecting to see Baynes and Ingles back playing here before Exum.

Reply #617749 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ben Simmons is completely different he will be fine in the NBA he came off averaging 19pts 12reb and 4.8 assists in college he is one of the most NBA ready prospects from the draft.

Reply #617761 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reports from the Sixers training camp before Simmons got injured is that he was the best player on the team, including Embiid. So I think Simmons will be fine.
Also not quite sure what process he skipped, he went to high school and played a year of college.

If you mean Thon Maker, when you get endorsed by Kevin Garnett on national television and as being the real deal (who's done a bit of work with him), he'll be fine.

Exum won't be back here anytime soon, he still has the potential there, and someone will take a punt on him. It doesn't help that Utah's system doesn't fit him in the slightest, a up-tempo team so he can play in the open court is the best chance for him.

Reply #617770 | Report this post

Reality  
Years ago

All signs point to Dante not being ready when he entered the NBA and still isn't ready now.

Dante took the cash and all power to him and his management for selling at the right time just like many EU guys have done in the past to take the money whilst its on the table.

Dante will get another NBA contract after this one due to his physical gifts and age but it might'n be a big pay day and it would be on the minimum unless he gets the 3 point shot going then he could become a valuable 1/2 guard if he defends at a high level and shoots the 3 at 36% plus....think Beverley/Crabbe/Liggins/Daniels etc

Reply #617777 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Simmons will have no issues with adjusting. Very different case.

And I think Maker should find some chances.

Exum has the potential. Just play him in the D-League so he gets rolling. Seems obvious IMO.

Reply #617790 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

re: Dante Exum trains with D-League team
Ben Simmons is completely different he will be fine in the NBA he came off averaging 19pts 12reb and 4.8 assists in college he is one of the most NBA ready prospects from the draft.

That was in a crappy team in a weak comp, no question the kids good , but he is yet to play against men, and I find it hard yo believe that he would be "the best on the team" in his NBA team....seriously his PR team need a reality check.

Reply #617807 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

His PR team of a Charles Barkley and former Sixers championship winning coach Billy Cunningham? Didn't know they worked for him...

Reply #617828 | Report this post

AC  
Years ago

Exum with another DNP in the Jazz win over the Cavs.

Reply #617851 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:48 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754