Anonymous
Years ago

sbl- wsbl. western australia. 2017

with the majority of the clubs back at training this week and not really that long until the season starts, I would think that most teams have their rosters set.
a lot of teams will probably see their imports late February which is the normal - and a few clubs would still be trying to sign both current NBL players and WSBL players.
their would have been a lot of player signings over the month of December and im sure the clubs are hard at it at the moment as we speak trying to put the finishing touches on their squad.
I believe the most intruging teams this season in the S.B.L could be the country sides - the giants,buccs and slammers all have proud historys and desperately want another title.
the giants and slammers have been incredibly active in the off-season with their recruiting and will be solid and tough to beat at home.
I think the buccs must be sweating on akepondya as their are not to many aussies in the league doing what has has last season. whoever he decides to sign with are going to be a contender. it would be good to see wagstaff back in the league as well, he was fun to watch going back a few years ago know.my tips for the men are willeton - hawks - and one of the country teams
in the womens comp it all depends on what lynx girls decide to play in particular sam whitcomb.
not sure where she is playing overseas or sbl - I don't think the tigers should underestimate the loss of louella Tomlinson.
I think it will come down to the big 3 again tigers , wolves, flames.
wolves need to keep wischer not sure if she is staying in perth or not - if she isn't they need to replace her as she was class.
hawks I believe are adding Candace Williams will be tough depending on if doccy plays as well as coaches, redbacks with the addition of eimilee harmon will be in the mix- lakeside will be better , they have reigning mvp coming back with a possible better yank than last year - also the only local player in the lynx squad in ash grant she will be much improved.
it is shaping as a fantastic season in both comps - lets hope we can get the media behind the S.B.L this year.

Topic #40642 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sydnee Fipps - Lightning second import

Reply #617613 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who is on the Lightning men's squad this year?

Reply #617625 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Another SBL post?

Reply #617634 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

who cares if it another post- don't read it .
deena English to play for rockingham flames this season. bunbury get back kate fielding and tori duggan from college plus add a import post.
cougars going with 2 german girls I believe.

Reply #617640 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"cougars going with 2 german girls I believe."

How many cups?

Reply #617641 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dena to Rockingham???????????????????????????

Reply #617646 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who's the Slammers women import?

Reply #617647 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Whitcomb to tigers??

Reply #617671 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who is on Lakeside men's team they haven't announced anything

Reply #617704 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mostly the same minus Corey Martin. Two new imports.

Reply #617716 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who are the imports? No Daniel Alexander?

Reply #617722 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Candace Williams isnt coming back and Doccy isnt playing

Reply #617784 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

interesting that lakeside are going with another guard import - who are their talls other than ash grant. or is Mansfield going to play small ball.

Reply #617794 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lakeside Women got smacked around last year in the Finals. They need to change a lot if they want a look in to anything. Lost Byrnes too.

Lakeside men have Krump and Morgan returning, add Andrew Ferguson from AIS, decent bench. If Seva sticks around then they have an above average point.

Reply #617798 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lakeside women should be improved. Much better second import to go with theMVP and Ash Grant and recruited a good Aussie big. Lost Byrnes who has had a few down seasons

Reply #617817 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who is Krump and is that Darrell Morgan?

Reply #617818 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Krump is a straight shooter and was a key cog in Lakeside dominance before the latest couple seasons. Morgan will be another great addition guy can play was on the team a few years back and now is bigger and more athletic he is a starter for sure. Krump is more of 6th man that can win you 3-4 games just on a hot streak alone.

Reply #617819 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well they'll play finals I think, all those youngsters will take another step up also

Reply #617821 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

They have to get a PG to make finals and a good one at that.

Reply #617830 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They have Seva or did he go back to Cockburn? Vinci will be much improved with his Wildcats training

Reply #617832 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Slammers bugs are going to severely tested this season. Clive Weeden has lost interest for the game, Ben Smith is new and you can only hope he fits in while Chris Douglas is still raw and unproven in this league. Then I believe they only the young fella Durnin who is more of a 3/4. No other big men

Reply #617842 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Voelkel is back for them as well

Reply #617847 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah he will play the 3 for majority of the game. Still think they are a big or 2 short with Worthington not playing

Reply #617848 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He will play a lot of minutes at the 4 I would think with some 3 guard lineups

Reply #617859 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perry Lakes are the team to watch out for. Not much has been said about them. Waters, Smith, Adekponya,Purser, Carlwell plus another import, Hickert and a couple of guys switching from other teams. This team is going to be dangerous.

Reply #617862 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Perry lakes definitely the ones to watch their third import coming off the bench serious depth with Parsons in charge

Reply #617864 | Report this post

Farrison Hord  
Years ago

Adekponya at Perry Lakes is just forum here say. A recent article suggests Geraldton are still in the box seat to re-sign him.

They have also secured Barrow again.

FYI:
http://www.hoops.com.au/forum/40587-wa-sbl-january-2017/

Reply #617867 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Even without Adekponya, that team is legit

Reply #617868 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adekponya will happen

Reply #617869 | Report this post

DaHuzyBru  
Years ago

"S&K Electrical Geraldton Buccaneers head coach Ray Evans says the re-signing of US import Maurice "Mo" Barrow is a major boost to the squad's upcoming State Basketball League campaign."

And...

"The Buccs are in contract negotiations to re-sign Queensland point guard Mat Adekponya, with the front office also looking at a tall import to help skipper Mat Wundenberg secure rebounds in the paint."

https://thewest.com.au/news/regional/swingman-re-signs-ng-b88342305z

Reply #617871 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Geraldton are gonna be good this season, Gero, Perry Lakes, Joondalup top 3 I think

Reply #617873 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Basically it means they have offered him a contract and are waiting for an answer. It may also that he has given them his answer and the negotiation part is them scrambling to make it better in hopes to persuade him to stay lol

Reply #617881 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Seva Chan has moved back to play under Nener at Cockburn.

Lakeside will have an import PG.

Reply #617888 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Do you know who the import is?

Reply #617889 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Apparently Mathiang Muo is back in the SBL in 2017

Reply #617898 | Report this post

DaHuzyBru  
Years ago

^nope. He's joining the Hobart Chargers.

From Adam Smith's Jan. 6 article:

"The Mercury understands athletic Sudanese swingman Mathiang Muo has agreed to terms and will be officially unveiled as early as next week."
http://www.themercury.com.au/sport/hobart-chargers-ready-to-turn-on-the-power-ahead-of-2017-seabl-season/news-story/f9a0fbbc3a6d554d1cd9aa9ddbc2f98d

Reply #617900 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Gero grab another import:

1- Hussey
2- Adekponya
3- Barrow
4- Cook
5-Wundenberg

6-Import
7-Ralph
8-10 who cares, can win a 40 min game with 7

Willo:

1.Armour
2.Scott
3.Bowie
4.Cody
5. Turner

6- Johnson
7- Evans
8-10 see above

Hawks:

1. Waters
2. Smith
3. Purser
4. ?
5. Carlwell

6 ?
7 ?
8 ?

Hawks don't have much of a bench tbh

Slammers we've already been through so I think the clear top 3 are Gero Willetton and Slammers. I don't think people should look past Stirling either, probably use an import spot on Ellis, but Lindeburg won't return. Add Rhys Vague who is on par with Lindeburg means they are an import better than last year.

in no order:
1-3: Gero, Willetton, Slammers
4-8: Hawks, Giants, Senators, Redbacks
9-11: Lakeside, Eagles, Flames,
12-14: Magic, Cockburn, Eastern Suns

This looks like a decent season, whole bunch of new imports and some returning ones:
Turner, Nichols, Voelkel, Bowie, Barrow, all familiar faces
New imports at Flames x2, Lightning x2, Cockburn x2, Waters, Giants import replacing Manigault.

Reply #617902 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

and Redhage!

Reply #617903 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lakeside women are definitely going to be playing small ball in the first third of the season.
Ash Grant apparently has to have a break after WNBL season which seems pretty ridiculous considering she only averages 5-6 min a game and the good Aussie big they have recruited has to finish the US college season.
No Lynx girls and the last season Lakeside second import at the Suns.

Reply #617908 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There is no way in hell the Slammers are top 3!!!!!!!! Unless they have signings I'm unaware of they won't make the playoffs unless 6 other teams are terrible. They will not finish higher than 7th, that is best case scenario with Tre Nichols winning MVP, and Brian Voelkel averaging a near triple double

Reply #617910 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The problem is, people from the outside look at these names and don't know anything aboutm. Clive Weeden has lost passion for the game and may not even be a starter next season, Michael Lay will be solid but has spent 3 years without touching a basketball. Brian Voelkel has not played a game since he was released from his contract in England in early 2016. Chris Douglas, Travis Durnin and Brody England are talented young players but all are unproven at the level and are between 7-10 in the rotation. Ben Smith is a big new addition to start at the 4, but he may struggle to get close to the numbers and efficiency he had last season in a new system and as he gets a year older. Tre Nichols is a flat out superstar in this league however he is not a pass first guy and doesn't run the team to the best of everyone else's ability. Teny Puot had a rather poor season in 2016 and always seemed to lack confidence playing second fiddle to Tre with the running of the offense. Wade Hitchcock is a shooter who shoots plenty and misses plenty, wins them 1 game a year (with a little help) and loses 5-6 games a year (with a little help) off the back of his shooting. To me he is a big key this season and must knock down the open looks. Even he was contemplating not playing this season.

The rotation looks like
PG. Nichols, Lay
SG. Hitchcock, Puot
SF. Voelkel, England
PF. Smith, Durnin
C. Weeden, Douglas

Still think they are a big veteran short of being a finals team, if Worthington was playing I'd have them scraping into the finals. Clive is foul prone and with only two youngsters backing him up I'd be worried. That team looks better on paper than what it will be in game I believe unfortunately.

I predict a 10th place finish for the Slammers.

Reply #617912 | Report this post

boo  
Years ago

wsbl movements
willo-haughton
perry lakes-burton - osulivan
suns ?
magic ?lakeside -fipps
perth - harmon - clayton
east perth ?
cockburn ?
flames- english
stirling MARTIN- LEE
wolves -hayward
slammers tori- feilding
lakeside -fipps
ANY MORE

Reply #623580 | Report this post

Greg Gurr  
Years ago

Wrong topic. It should go here...

http://www.hoops.com.au/forum/40776-wa-sbl-february-2017

Reply #623582 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:13 am, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754