Matt
Years ago

Is the D-League worth the investment

Is the D-League worth the investment as a farm-league. Is the NBA reaping rewards by having a 2nd-Tier comp.

Think AFL, does the AFL benefit from comps like the SANFL and WAFL?

Have many D-League guys gone on to have full-time NBA careers etc? I don't know much about the D-League hence why I ask to try and gauge it's usefulness.

Topic #40646 | Report this topic

Isaac  
Years ago

They're adding more teams, so presumably it works for them.

Joerger and Snyder came from coaching in the DLeague. A few GMs. "Every new NBA referee since 2002 began in the D-League."

"About 30% of NBA players have NBA D-League experience..."

More: http://dleague.nba.com/news/2016-17-nba-opening-night-rosters-dleague-experience/

Reply #617684 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think eventually it will be a very good platform for nba clubs to pick guys up from. Hopefully they are run like the afl clubs with the same plays and structures in both teams. Players playing poorly drop back and reward the guys busting their but in d league.

Reply #617687 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Yes its very good. I'm surprised they don't pump more money into it and have proper, decent salaries/make it a lot bigger than what it is.

From memory alot of the teams play in non-NBA cities/towns so it could be a complementary product rather than a substitute one which would take away from the NBA.

Reply #617694 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

In the USA, there are something like 20 states that have NO major league teams in any sport (and that's states, not counting where there are multiple major cities in the same state.)
Then off course there are hundreds of decent sized secondary cities.
So you can in part understand why collegiate sport is big. But its also means that 2nd or 3rd tier teams can actually generate their own support in the right city.
I don't know about NFL, but MLB has used a feeder system of minor-league teams for a LONG time, and it works well for them.

I think for development of refs, its probably a good thing.
I don't know about coaches? I imagine most come from the blue-chip collegiate programs?

Obviously also, to some extent, its a good intermediary step between College and the NBA. Not every draftee is going to be good enough to debut immediately. Then you have guys like Ennis and McRae, who obviously benefited from extra development, maturity, and experience.

Reply #617720 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:45 pm, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754