36ers vs Bullets Jan 19th

top vs Bottom Clash

15-7 Adelaide 36ers
9-13 Brisbane Bullets

Previous Meetings this Season

R2 Bullets 93 to 36ers 96 (OT)
R9 36ers 87 to Bullets 105
R10 Bullets 83 to 36ers 101

36ers lead series 2-1 with 3 point differential.

Topic #40680 | Report this topic

Should be the 36ers all the way, especially given Brisbane's injury woes, but a bit of complacency and Torrey Craig dropping 50 points on his favourite court might make things interesting. You never know in this league!

Reply #619043 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The most impressive part of the Sixers is the spread of the workload and shots compared to other teams which is being shown up with the injuries. Champion Team, not Team of Champions as they say. Plus those Sixers can run all day. Creeky said that at the start of the season and he is being proven right. They also have a pretty impressive support crew around them this season. Nutrition, Strength and Conditioning, lots of youth and enthusiasm that feeds the machine and then there is Big or now we should just say Joe and his influence at the corporate level. Then of course there is Joey who just loves to play around with a team just because and this team is allowing him to let the creative juices flow right out of the Fortress and in to the Jungle and anywhere else they go. Fun to watch. Thinking most people would not be too unhappy if their own team didn't get there that the Sixers are the team they would be okay to lose to. Must be a lot of Blue Envy out there and many players thinking god I would love to pay in that team and lineup. I know young me would..

Reply #619048 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

I just keep going into these games expecting us to lose given most teams have more depth and if we win go away happy. Given the way the league is this year I don't think you can have a clear favourite each night or overall. Just enjoy the game and hope we win.

Reply #619055 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adelaide by a fair bit. They aren't cocky enough to take these games lightly. Keep winning now and can go into playoffs fresh. Brisbane are very ordinary at this point in paper decimated with injuries.

Reply #619066 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

The way this season is going, Bullets will win because bottom beats top more than top beats bottom

Reply #619067 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Brisbane is garbage. Adelaide will win by 20.

Reply #619085 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

I hope it is the coaching influence, but I am prepared to admit to be totally astounded by the largest "head case" turnarounds I can think off, and they are one example each of the two major headcase
diseases, which I have almost always seen to be permanent and essentially untreatable conditions until retirement .

1) "terrible twos" petulant whining + consistent but sporadic under-performance under pressure

2) chook with head cut off , or "I'm too talented for this game to have to worry about thinking"

IMHO DJ was a poster child for 11 above and Sobey seemed destined to be the same for 2. Both are now a shadow of their previous frustrating selves.

Credit to Joey or just maturity ? If its both just maturity then they are the only two NBL examples i can think of ATM.

Reply #619135 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Thursday night action and this should have any Sixers fan salivating.

Brisbane have been struck by injuries and their season is over. The only hope they have is to be that stone in the shoe and annoy other teams with a surprise upset win. That's the danger for the Sixers in this game.

Sixers on the other hand have been doing nothing wrong and have the confidence of an underage girl sneaking into a club with a fake ID.

The only real variable here is how hard Joey will go. If he goes too hard he risks an injury and if he gives the bench too much time it could be a loss he laments.

I suspect the development players should get a run this week, but only if they work hard at training of course. Joey would want to play the first half straight up and then maybe clear the bench. I'm thinking Brisbane will be going hard from go to woe, but if I was Nelson Larkins grandpa, I'll be bringing one of those thinga me jiggies called a video recorder to the game.

Reply #619140 | Report this post

cats 4 life  
Years ago

I'll rest Randal and sobey, they will finish on top. Try rest a few if possible, the championship is there's to lose.

Reply #619162 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Years ago

How many ownership changes will that make it in recent years?

Reply #619250 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

First match in a while that doesn't sound exciting or unpredictable

Reply #619280 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

A good read here - attempting to explain why Adelaide is so good:

https://pickandroll.com.au/36ers-make-no-sense/

Reply #619296 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great article but it doesn't explicitly state that Adelaide are favourites so I'm going to write a few knock knock jokes to calm down.

Reply #619300 | Report this post

Ricky Diculous  
Years ago

Bullet's will win both games this weekend and become this week's Sixers, and last week's Wildcats, and the previous week's United etc

Reply #619325 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Bullets to be the team to beat after the weekend Ricky? ;)

It would be disappointing if this season reverted to being normal, so on the basis of keeping the weird..well..weird, I say Bullets by 5 points.

Reply #619334 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

This 36ers-Bullets game is tonight. The one tweet from the 36ers account referencing it is retweeting an account with 3 followers. Nothing talking about their players, about the visiting team or about ticket sales.

Reply #619399 | Report this post

Brunson  
Years ago

Isaac not making excuses for them but maybe they have identified their target market doesn't use twitter? Most of the people I know that go to games or interested in the team don't use twitter. They seem to advertise lots on facebook on their wall and players walls.

Reply #619401 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

They've got 14k followers on there. It takes seconds and is absolutely free to write a tweet. They've just tweeted:

"Tag us in a tweet during or prior to the game and you could see ur message on the BIG SCREEN! #36ersFamily"

But still yet to tell anyone which actual game! In the few days leading up to a game, they should have tweeted 3-4 times. Are they trying to sell tickets or not?

They'll live tweet a game (which I suspect is largely pointless, to be honest) but drop the ball when it matters, which is when people are making decisions on what to do with their Thursday evening.

My guess is that whoever is doing it, just doesn't like/use Twitter much. Their preference is Facebook or whatever else. That shouldn't matter if you have any professional responsibility doing social media. If it's too much for that one person, get them some help.

You're not going to find many cheaper ways of hitting an interested audience than Twitter. The followers voluntarily followed you. Your "creative" can be a five second, text only message. You can link directly to your ticket sales.

Reply #619403 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

I've given up tipping against 36ers this season. They should get this one easy.

Reply #619404 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Isaac not making excuses for them but maybe they have identified their target market doesn't use twitter? Most of the people I know that go to games or interested in the team don't use twitter. "

Their target market? People?

Reply #619405 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

They've tweeted again but still yet to actually tell people that there is a game on tonight and how/where to buy tickets.

"Anyone remeber when @the2kferguson took flight in Brisbane? Who wants to see that again?"
It's like a cryptic crossword.

Reply #619407 | Report this post

Master Chief  
Years ago

I can't remember how many times they reminded us via twitter the date Matt Hodgson was returning from his off season. And then another ten times after that.

They seem to make a lot of lazy errors in both social media and media releases. They were especially good at misspelling the names of recently arrived players this pre season. And not just small forgivable errors, but one's that made them seem completely oblivious. I wish i still had a link to a match report or media release from last season. It was almost laughable.

Reply #619411 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Everything hinges on "Can Brisbane get enough points". Can't see it..
Kickert on song but Torrey Craig is very up and down. Beal is in a real slump.
Maybe Kendle can get going. I didn't see him shoot the 3 ball, last game so he is just easing into things. He might have to go" Sydney or the bush' in this one because there is no one else.Hope they can make a game of it for 3/4.

Reply #619414 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

36ers don't know how to manage their social media

Reply #619417 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

There's no excuses for not using social media as much as possible. It costs nothing and takes bugger all time. Their current fans might not use twitter but they still a potential to reach 1000's of new fans and viewers.

Reply #619428 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

.. craigs favorite court .. will be interesting..
(they give some tickets away on radio sports shows.. pretty good advetising... nevertheless , these are not very friendly people , of course..)

Reply #619438 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

They've come alive on Twitter. Better late than never!

Any risk of complacency on court for the 36ers? They've shown strong resolve to date, so hopefully not.

Reply #619446 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Bullets had leads against Hawks, Cats and Breakers at 3/4 time. They have shown they can still be competitive even with their injuries.

Reply #619450 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

'well . no prizes for guessing who's gonna take the most rebounds
and randle 'only' 17 and 19 points last 2 games is due to get 30 points here tonite...

Reply #619453 | Report this post

Devo  
Years ago

They've been doing a bit on Instagram.
Usually 1-2 a day.

Reply #619459 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Perth were going HAM on instagram but then suddenly went totally quiet like a week later and not a peep was heard since.
Oh wait sorry nevermind that was ingram.

Reply #619466 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

. I meant the player , craig to get most rebounds and randle 30points .. law of averages...

Reply #619475 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't mind Beal over 11.5 points @1.88.

Lines been brought down after a few average games. Fell just short of that with 10 last round against the Hawks but Gibson was playing and scored 17. Then he only scored 7 against NZ a couple of days later but put up a fair few shots. Adelaide aren't the best defensive side. Very inconsistent player but probably due for a good one and will need to step up this game.

Reply #619477 | Report this post

AKA  
Years ago

This is getting ugly rather early for the Bullets!

Reply #619491 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Going to the script so far ... unfortunately.
I was hoping the Bullets might surprise us and compete.

Reply #619493 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

good start .. better if drmic could shoot freethrows...

Reply #619495 | Report this post

AC  
Years ago

This is sad and boring

Reply #619497 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Beal 0 points ffs. Only stat he has is a rebound, what a shit import he has been this year. Only thing that might save him next season will be an Aus citizenship.

Reply #619501 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

The body language of Beal, and even Craig, doesn't bode well for the Bullets. Craig's a little bit better but nowhere near earlier part of the season. Both looks to have lost the aggressiveness and desire to stand out as the designated go-to imports. It would be a more competitive game if they show the same effort as Kickert and Jervis.

Kendle is eager to contribute but looks significantly slower and less bouncy than his usual self. Looks like the calf is still hampering him.

Reply #619502 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Might be worth loading up on Melb against the Bullets @1.65 before it gets smashed in even more

Reply #619503 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Who's that commentator saying last few games could cost Randle the MVP?

Randle is the clearest and easiest MVP in the history of the league. He could sit out all remaining games and still win it as far as im concerned.

Reply #619507 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

looks like randle made 22 points in 20 minutes shooting at 100 percent.. wow ...

Reply #619510 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

As if Beal didnt get the Ladbrokes?

Reply #619511 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Bullets performance was as bad as the weather is outside in Adelaide.

Reply #619512 | Report this post

Ricky Diculous  
Years ago

Gee, Joey doesn't think much of Andrej, does he?
After the last game he only offered his left hand to shake, this time he barely grazed Lemanis's offering hand, and certainly didn't look at him, then gave CJ a big hug!

Reply #619513 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Who's that commentator saying last few games could cost Randle the MVP?

Randle is the clearest and easiest MVP in the history of the league. He could sit out all remaining games and still win it as far as im concerned.
There's no way he's that far in front.

Reply #619517 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

most effective player at this game

Reply #619518 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Ricky, did Joey coach CJ in Brisbane?

Reply #619519 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Joey certainly coached CJ Isaac. IIRC, CJ joined the loaded Bullets with Bradtke, McKinnon and Rychart. They went on a 21 game winning streak (I think its still the NBL record) and won the championship with Joey winning Coach of the Year. No surprise about the hug.

Reply #619524 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

koberulz, then who? He is leading a young and 'sub par team on paper' to top of the league.

Reply #619525 | Report this post

Ricky Diculous  
Years ago

I'm not surprised about the hug... it was more the super cold handshake with Lemanis

Reply #619526 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

While I think Randle is the likely MVP atm, I don't think he's got it absolutely locked up yet.

Remember James Ennis?

Reply #619530 | Report this post

Brunson  
Years ago

"Don't mind Beal over 11.5 points @1.88.

Lines been brought down after a few average games. Fell just short of that with 10 last round against the Hawks but Gibson was playing and scored 17. Then he only scored 7 against NZ a couple of days later but put up a fair few shots. Adelaide aren't the best defensive side. Very inconsistent player but probably due for a good one and will need to step up this game."

Do you get your money back for him scoring 0? :P

Reply #619533 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Yeah while unlikely, it's still mathematically possible for Adelaide to lose all remaining games while others, bar Taipans and Bullets, win all of theirs. In this situation, most likely challenger would be Casper Ware, particularly if he wins the scoring title as well.

Reply #619534 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

^^ Sorry Taipan fans, didn't realise your team still only has 11 losses so scratch that. :)

Reply #619535 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Do you get your money back for him scoring 0? :P"

He's now lucky enough to be on my 'never again' list lol

Reply #619536 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

No way Ware is any chance at MVP.

MACDUB, Randle might be out in front at the moment but there are still guys who'd challenge him if he gets pulled for the rest of the season (which won't happen anyway).

Reply #619537 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is NBL MVP voting still something like a vote by the coaches or umps after each game?

I think Prather could still be a chance since he's carried the Wildcats in so many games this year.

Reply #619538 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Afaik still the same with the coaches voting for MVP each game and player with the most at end of regular wins it.

Reply #619540 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

Liked Torrey Craig in Cairns but could see that Cairns' system wasn't the best suited to him. Had hoped he'd find some consistency under a new coach and in a new team. Unfortunately doesn't seem to have worked out, at least not yet.

Reply #619545 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I guess with such a big win there's not much to discuss about the actual game...

Reply #619546 | Report this post

joshuapending  
Years ago

Thought it was a very athletic game considering the conditions.

Reply #619558 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

How has Beal gone from all star to all mud? He had trouble shining in a game where he had nothing to lose and he could play freely. Brisbane have him for another year? Whatever they are paying this year. Halve it next year.
I liked the look of Kendle, he looked like he could create a little. His shot deserted him but that is a confidence thing.

Reply #619566 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Thought the same about Beal. Here was a freebie game for anyone who wanted to take over, and Beal, Craig and Young all dropped the ball to varying degrees. Young, for example, could've worked on his hook shot moves in the paint any time down the floor. The Bullets seemed sapped of energy.

It seemed quite a sloppy game for most parts I saw. The Adelaide second unit can be pretty sketchy. Amazing really that they still racked up the points they did.

Reply #619571 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Conditions were terrible. Either the air conditioning was turned on too late or it simply doesnt work. Some of the free throws were nearly airballs because the players couldnt grip the ball. I lost count the amount of times players slipped and after the floor being wiped it appeared to condensate. Very lucky there wasnt a serious injury or some heat exhaustion to players. For a professional league it wasn't good enough.

Reply #619572 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

After all the talk about the slight deflection off Sobey being missed last week, it was funny to see Shaun Bruce through it out straight off an Adelaide player last night, right in front of Michael Aylen, and the call go the wrong way.

It's gone completely under the radar which just shows, it's not the bad call you make but when you make it and how high-pitched the protest from the oppo coach is!

Reply #619580 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

From Boti's write-up:

Adelaide now has won its past five games by an average of 24.2 points, the last team to win five straight by double figures Wright's Gold Coast in 2012.

Paul, didn't the ref say that he'd bounced the ball or stepped out of bounds first before he threw it off the Adelaide player?

Reply #619583 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

That's correct Isaac

Reply #619590 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

He said it bounced out of bounds before hitting the Adelaide player, but it hit him high on the leg on the way towards the floor! They're human, even the best refs, but that is right up there for worst call of the year for mine.

Reply #619593 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Time for a full investigation!

Reply #619595 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Just another example of how Adelaide are cheaters!

Reply #619596 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

"Either the air conditioning was turned on too late or it simply doesnt work."

Is it evaporative air conditioning? That would've struggled in the conditions last night.

Reply #619601 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

paul, did he say it "bounced" or that it was out of bounds. e.g., maybe Bruce had his foot out when he touched the ball? They didn't reply it much or at all, but that was my guess at the time.

Reply #619612 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

No he said it bounced first. The look on Bruce's face was priceless. It was just a mistake, they happen, unfortunately some of them get blown out of proportion.

Reply #619616 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

I thought the call was wrong, but I thought what the umpire gestured was that Bruce had his foot on the line. I am not sure he was correct on that point though.

Reply #619617 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

The Fox commentators (who can be wrong) said the ref called Bruce for having his foot on the line when he threw it off the 36er.

Reply #619624 | Report this post

I don't know if it was as apparent on the telecast, but Beal's attitude and body language was stinking up the place last night. No wonder he got a big donut. At one point he was sitting waiting to be subbed on and when the ref called the sub he didn't even bother getting up, another ref had to re-call the sub and he lethargically pulled himself up and wandered on to the court. I dunno if there's something else going on there but he was pathetic in his commitment for most of the night. If they had enough healthy players I'd guess the coach would have sat him for most of the game. Contributed nothing. Big winning margins can be fun, but as a fan of basketball I'd really prefer the Beal's and Craig's had a good game and made it more interesting.

Reply #619636 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Aylen's words were: "Bounced out first. I thought it bounced outside first and then came up."

Reply #619644 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Well this will be sure to stir the controversy, another 36ers win as a result of the refs.

There was probably a Sobey flop during that play too.

Reply #619646 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

No doubt. I think Joey may have abused someone too.

Reply #619649 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

It's gone completely under the radar which just shows, it's not the bad call you make but when you make it and how high-pitched the protest from the oppo coach is!
The game had been over for about three hours before that call, which probably helps.

Reply #619670 | Report this post

julias  
Years ago

Anyone know why Tueta didn't play last night?

Reply #619696 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:25 am, Sat 30 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754