Anonymous
Years ago

Refs admitted crucial wrong call: Gleeson

https://thewest.com.au/sport/basketball/the-referees-mistake-which-could-end-the-wildcats-record-play-off-streak-ng-b88357202z

This was a strange one. It probably wasn't that easy to tell on the replay but a particular angle seemed to show it bounce off Weeks' foot.

Even the commentators were shocked when the refs went to replay and still got it wrong.

Seems the refs admitted they were wrong after but why not when they checked the replay?

Topic #40682 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

I still think the footage is inconclusive however I think the review process needs to be looked at because it seems like the refs were interested in getting a quick decision rather than the correct one.

If they used the replays from the telecast, there was no slo-mo, freezing or rewind used - it was just one angle, then the other, then the first again etc for a couple of times, then Cairns ball.

Reply #619141 | Report this post

kings fan  
Years ago

The McKay charge was even worse.Gliddon was clearly moving.

Reply #619143 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #619147 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

The wrong call was made on the replay. But then Cairns was generous enough to give the ball straight back to Perth, so no harm done!

Perth had its opportunities, but if you kept running straight through the chest of the defenders you risk a charge call being made.

Next time, don't get down by 12 with 2.30 to go because you won't win many games from there.

Reply #619148 | Report this post

Gus3232  
Years ago

XY - That level of sense and logic won't win any friends around here. Cut it out!!

Reply #619153 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kings Fan, you do know defenders do not have to be stationary to get a charging call dont you?

Reply #619157 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Who cares?

Perth deserves to get bad calls when they go away from home, cos they get some delicious home cooking with regularity at Perth Arena.

Reply #619158 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I see a gap between Weeksy's foot and the ball. No contact your honour.

Reply #619159 | Report this post

More like should've been called a charge on cotton as he clearly pushes weeks over. Even though weeks is shuffling sideways cotton pushes hard sending weeks to the floor.

Reply #619163 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"More like should've been called a charge on cotton as he clearly pushes weeks over. Even though weeks is shuffling sideways cotton pushes hard sending weeks to the floor. "

You should be a ref. Your fair and balanced assessment of the situation makes you the perfect candidate and it seems like you'd take great delight in calling an emphatic charge when all eyes in the stadium are on you.

/s

Reply #619167 | Report this post

Fish on

Reply #619192 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

The wrong call was made on the replay. But then Cairns was generous enough to give the ball straight back to Perth, so no harm done!
???
The argument is that Cotton was driving to the basket and could have scored.
Next time, don't get down by 12 with 2.30 to go because you won't win many games from there.
???
Plenty of games have seen even bigger scoring runs.

That said, I'm not particularly interested in bitching about one bad call. Shit happens.
But what this highlights is poor quality and the lack of clarity around the review system.
First of all, it always seems that the refs have to dragged kicking and screaming to the review, never a good sign. Then they are reviewing it at the side of the court, on some pissy little monitor, and they seem to put themselves under enormous time-pressure. They are then too quick to jump to the "inconclusive - original call stands" answer. For mine, that is an incorrect basis on which to rule. If you have gone to the trouble of reviewing it, you should make your decision based on the best available evidence.
I assume what has happened in this case is something like "we're 90% certain it came off weeks foot, but not 100%, so the original call stands."
They need to move to a "4th Ref", sitting in a booth with a video tech, multiple camera feeds and large screens. And they need to nail down the rules for when a review will be called for, and how it will be interpreted.

And just to clarify, the article's title is drivel. If the Steak ends, the Cats have nobody to blame but themselves. This was one dodgy call, in a league that sees dozens of such calls every round.

Reply #619193 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Perth deserves to get bad calls when they go away from home, cos they get some delicious home cooking with regularity at Perth Arena."

Personally I think Perths 'home cooking' is pretty overrated. They get a fair few bad calls and some real shockers for a side everyone claims is on the right side of some of the best home cooking in the league.

Reply #619194 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dazz defending the indefensible again. Take off the blinkers mate. Sit back take a chill pill and please STFU.

Reply #619202 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Idiot above critisising Dazz, you should STFU and start your reading/comprehension lessons.

Reply #619207 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

To the guy who said Perth gets home cooking you obviously didn't watch the Sixers v Perth game. Some shocking calls in favour of Adelaide

Reply #619208 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Well that must mean Perth never get any calls, then.

Reply #619210 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Dazz

'???
The argument is that Cotton was driving to the basket and could have scored.'

If the umpires assessed a foul there, they would have called that instead of the out of bounds call. How exactly was Cotton going to get a shot up? Seriously? McKay's subsequent attempt at a score was more realistic than Cotton's.

'???
Plenty of games have seen even bigger scoring runs.'

Please name them, focussing particularly on the last 2.30 of games and tell me that my statement is anything other than reasonable. Are you arguing that you WILL win lots of games from that position?

Reply #619225 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

"Then they are reviewing it at the side of the court, on some pissy little monitor"

My seat is right behind that (not so) 'pissy little monitor' and I can see exactly what the ref sees on the tech's laptop as they're working. They get every camera feed and can freeze frame, slow-moing to their heart's content.

"They need to move to a "4th Ref", sitting in a booth with a video tech, multiple camera feeds and large screens"

And gold plated whistles. And raw silk no-chafe reffing trousers. And segways. And then nobody will ever make a bad call ever again and the Nbl will perfect.

Reply #619229 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

if we just had 60 camera angles all with 4KHD cameras it would be much easier for the video reviews. get it done NBL

Reply #619231 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

CT, if the replays and monitors they use are adequate then the question needs to be asked why they rushed the review. If it was obviously off one player, it's fine to move on quickly but when something is an inconclusive as it was, I don't understand how they got the review done so quickly.

Reply #619233 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

Didn't look rushed from where I was sitting. Maybe they got it wrong, maybe they didn't. Maybe they're just a bunch of people who are mediocre at their jobs doing the best with what they've got, maybe it's a conspiracy. Maybe an elaborate NRL bunker thingo will solve everything that's wrong with the NBL, maybe it's just a bloody stupid idea proposed by an idiot. Maybe Perth got a taste of their own medicine for once and rest of the country can't wipe the grin off their faces, or maybe Trevor Gleeson is just a flog.

Reply #619236 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And there goes the chance for reasonable discussion about the review process.

Reply #619238 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

I feed off your tears, cats fans.

Reply #619241 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's good that you do because otherwise the sea level would have risen a couple of mm over the last few days.

Reply #619242 | Report this post

Big Ads  
Years ago

I like what you did there Dazz.

In response to other posts making mention of home cooking you refer to the "steak" (ending).

Things must be getting tough at Perth Arena if they have stopped serving steak,

Is the team over cooked?

Reply #619243 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The NBL released a statement saying the refs were correct to revert to the original on-court decision as replays weren't conclusive as to whether the ball touched Cotton's hand after hitting Weeks' foot.

However, they said the refs didn't follow the correct process in achieving that as they didn't use every angle at their disposal.

Reply #619244 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cairns fans won't care. With such a dismal history they need these hollow victories.

Reply #619245 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Actually the VIPs just in front of me do get Steak.

Meanwhile I'm farting my guts out after all those free chilli-dogs.

Reply #619248 | Report this post

Wilson Sting  
Years ago

"More like should've been called a charge on cotton as he clearly pushes weeks over. "

I actually thought one of the on court referees made the charge signal when I was watching it live and had no idea what they were reviewing at the time.

I'd say 3 out of 5 times that happens the refs would call a charge, 1 out of 5 a block and 1 no call. Perhaps the review became a 'no call' because they realised they missed the charge on the review and needed to do a token make up call.

Reply #619282 | Report this post

Thankyou Wilson sting. My thoughts exactly. In my experience of playing and reffing for 25 years, sometimes when you foul someone but the ball comes off them out of bounds the ref will award them the ball. When you complain that your opponent touched it last the refs response is " it's either off them or a foul on you, what would you like?"

IMHO cotton extends his arm into weeks midsection causing him to crash to the floor.

Reply #619301 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The only thing that caused Weeks to crash to the floor was Weeks.

Reply #619305 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

"The only thing that caused Weeks to crash to the floor was Weeks."

I believe that manouver is officially called 'The Flopphage'

Reply #619310 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

hahaha Perth fan crying about flopping.

So.
Much.
Salt.

Delicious.

Reply #619313 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its not salt to say Tiny pinder whinger made something up.

Reply #619319 | Report this post

Your opinion vs mine anonymous.
Have you ever played basketball?

Or do you turn fouls off in 2k17?

Reply #619320 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

o.O

Reply #619321 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

It's the very definition of irony: Cats fans whining about flops and fouls.

Don't worry boys and girls, if the cooking tastes different away from home just sprinkle a little salt on there...

Reply #619345 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No one whined about a flop.

Reply #619347 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Also, its not the definition of irony. Its hypocrisy, if anything.

Reply #619348 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

Oh no! Someone's wrong on the Internet!

"Merriam-Webster defines irony as:

... 3: a) : incongruity between the actual result of a sequence of events and the normal or expected result; an event or result marked by such incongruity"

Reply #619361 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

Absolutely no whining about flopping. None whatsoever.

"The only thing that caused Weeks to crash to the floor was Weeks."

Reply #619362 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So you doubled down on your stupidity...

Reply #619363 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

I love you anonymous posters, don't ever change.

Reply #619364 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

hahaha magnificent

Reply #619366 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm getting as fed up as the coaches with refs ruining NBL games.

Reply #619396 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:02 pm, Thu 18 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754