Boomers fan
Years ago

NBL ranked Number 10 league outside the NBA

Thought this article from Fran Fraschilla was interesting. He has the NBL ranked as number 10 outside of the NBA. Think we're a couple spots too low, and should be ahead of the Adriatic and Greek leagues, but otherwise I think it's a fairly accurate assessment of the various leagues.

Would be interesting to see where he would rank the D League in comparison to the 12 leagues he's listed.

Topic #40688 | Report this topic

Boomers fan  
Years ago

Should probably have included the link - here it is.

http://www.espn.com.au/nba/story/_/id/18470135/fran-fraschilla-rankings-world-top-12-basketball-leagues-nba

Reply #619389 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I think it's hard to judge as our leagues don't crossover like the Euro leagues do. I think top-to-bottom we are arguably better than a number of the leagues ranked ahead of us, but the powerhouse teams in these leagues would power through NBL competition more often than not... unless we had NBL refs who countered the size advantage most Euro teams have by calling fouls on all their bigs.

Reply #619390 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Two things:

1. I think our league has more upside and is in a position to improve and increase in many areas, more so than most of these leagues above us, but they have more money than we do at the moment.

2. On the size of the players, maybe some teams can go deeper, but generally speaking we have some quality bigs in our league now, and some of them have come back after very successful European careers or with NBA experience, so I am not convinced we would not compete there either...

Reply #619391 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

NBL is really #4 on that list

Reply #619393 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Euroleague - yes
Spain - yes
Turkey - yes
Russia - yes
Germany - no
Italy - no
France - maybe
Adriatic - no
Greece - maybe

I'd probably slip the French league in ahead of us standard wise so about 6th would be right.

Reply #619395 | Report this post

lawsy  
Years ago

What makes those leagues better you guys think?? Is it the Spanish and Turkish locals for example are just better than our aussies, or is the ability for those leagues to attract better quality imports, which makes it a tougher league?

Reply #619422 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

I don't think it's the imports necessarily, but the fact that the best teams can take the best Europeans (who don't count as 'imports'), as opposed to the best national players.

Reply #619423 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

I have watched all those leagues for years and would say Franchilla is pretty spot on. How many critics have actually watched those leagues and seen the quality of the a) players and b) play?

Reply #619437 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is why lk is trying to get the NBL to play against the NBA in the pre season. Improve the perception of the NBLs quality by association.

Don't forget the Perth wildcats breast real Madrid when they played at the McDonald's cup all those years ago. I don't think the NBL is too far away from the top leagues

Reply #619440 | Report this post

JR  
Years ago

Don't forget that was in 1995

Reply #619447 | Report this post

Duncan  
Years ago

Basically agree. As I live in Europe I was having a conversation With someone back home that after the first few we're at least comparable. The Greek league is hard to gauge as it is the opposite to the NBL With two power clubs significantly better than our teams then the standard gradually drops away. But I personally would move Italy to better than our league then have german and french as maybe, adriatic maybe/perhaps NBL by a hair

Reply #619448 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

I have watched some Adriatic League and some of the others and the NBL is a step ahead of those leagues. I'd say it is about 6th on the list. And I am puzzled by the CBA at 12th. Surely there are some smaller European leagues better than CBA?

Reply #619522 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Outside the NBA the only teams above NBL standard are the small number of European power clubs. Most of those come from the Spanish, Turkish and VTB United (former USSR) competitions, along with two power clubs from the lop-sided Greek league.

The advantage the NBL has over most European leagues is our talent is condensed into eight teams, which means more good clubs and less bad ones, even if we don't have the great ones (especially with NZ not at their usual level this season).

My top 10 league rankings would be:

NBA
Euroleague
Spain
Turkey
VTB United
Australia
Italy
France
Germany
Adriatic

Outside of the Euroleague and NBA there is precious little between the next lot of leagues though, with the Spanish ACB a little way ahead but the rest neck and neck.

Reply #619542 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

I don't watch the European leagues and have to say I don't really watch the NBA right now. But I'm not going to knock it if the NBL is ranked in the top 10.

Reply #619556 | Report this post

Boomers fan  
Years ago

Where would everyone rank the D League in comparison with the overseas leagues?

Reply #619609 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:28 pm, Thu 25 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754