Anonymous
Years ago

Hawks vs Breakers 20th Jan

2ND place Hawks (12-10) vs 6th Place Breakers (10-12)

Previous Meetings

R7 Breakers 100 to Hawks 85
R7 Hawks 109 to Breakers 78
R9 Breakers 91 to Hawks 95

Hawks lead Series 2-1 with a 20 point differential.

My Tip; Hawks by 12

Topic #40694 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Breakers get this one and with some ease. About to make a run

Reply #619561 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Breakers have got some confidence. If they keep up with the D they have the offence strike power to take this one. Always wary of the Hawks because they hang around, get you in the half court game both ends and then pull a rabbit out of the hat at the death.
Do or die for us, but if we can't get up then we don't deserve to be in the playoffs.
If Illawarra press, attack it and make them pay. Make sure Oscar's first shot is contested. Don't give Ogilvy a free look. Make him put it on the floor. Try and get a hand in on Clarke's pull up. Once he gets it above his head DO NOT FOUL.

Reply #619568 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Breakers have beaten two struggling teams in mediocre games of basketball, they're going to have to step up a level to beat the Hawks in the Gong.

When they have been able to slow oppo their D has been excellent this season, but they have really struggled to slow Adelaide and Illawarra because of their turnovers.

Given the tendency of Dillard and Carter to get lost defensively it will be tough tonight. I think they're going to need to control the ball very well and shoot very well.

Reply #619578 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Tonight will be a good test for the Breakers, are they contenders or pretenders?
I heart hopes NZ will win but my head tells me the Hawks by 12.

Reply #619702 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Hawks comfortably

Reply #619724 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Casey, Carfino & Harvey, good team

Reply #619732 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hawks getting Free throws galore. And getting away with contact galore

Reply #619735 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Example: Harris trips on himself. Foul Breakers.

Reply #619736 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

God love the resurrection of John Casey. Decent game too lillard fun to watch, little unpredictable doesn't always take the best shots but confidence is second to none!

Reply #619740 | Report this post

AussiePride  
Years ago

Great game so far. Dillard making a difference for NZ.

Reply #619742 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

What a pass by Dillard there to end the corner on the Loe 3.

Reply #619749 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Paul Carter having a tough night at the office but Penney, Dillard, Loe and Pledger playing well.
Vukona has looked injured the last few weeks, leg looks crook?

Reply #619750 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

3QT 76 TO 66 Breakers

Breakers are surprising me considering the way there played against a injury depleted Bullets despite winning.

Reply #619751 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

The Hawks fans constant booing of Dilard looks to have affected him

Reply #619752 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

New Zealand have a habit of limping into a season, then ramping up at the right time. Looks like this season will be no different.

Reply #619753 | Report this post

AC  
Years ago

"The Hawks fans constant booing of Dilard looks to have affected him"

I'd say it's the consistent pressing up, trapping and double teaming keeping him quiet

Reply #619754 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

26 points 7 assists and 6 rebounds, real quietly

Reply #619755 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Breakers win by 9

Reply #619756 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Hopefully Abercrombie is back on the court Sunday against the Wildcats.

Dilard / Ili
Penney / Carter
Abercrombie / Delany
Vukona / Mitchell
Loe / Pledger

Fair amount of firepower with that starting 5 and a decent bench with Carter and Pledger able to keep the scoreboard ticking over.

Reply #619757 | Report this post

Air Delay  
Years ago

Dillard is a DOMINANT BEAST! Hawkies did a reasonable job to slow him and pesker him & HE STILL OWNED THE GAME!

Only way to shut him out of the game is to go at him & try & get him in foul trouble. NZ are looking dangerous heading in to the finals.

When the Hawkies aren't hitting their 3s we miss not having an athlete (like Akil Mitchell) to own the boards & contest the glass.

Hope we go out & poach Finn Delany or Craig Moller to fill that gap for next season.

Reply #619759 | Report this post

Air Delay  
Years ago

Would love to steal Sobey... but I think he'd be out of our price range : )

Reply #619774 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Hawks seemed impotent for stretches. When the shots didn't fall, they had nothing else.

Bullets imports should watch the Breakers imports for ideas. Like, trying a bit more.

Reply #619846 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

That was the only downside for me. Carter's play and more his attitude. The guy can shoot..... but dribble and passing are serious weaknesses in his game. He threw his toys out of the cot when he was subbed down the stretch, but that was the right call by Henare.
Fortunately Dillard more than compensates for Carter's hissy fit.
Pledge was great last night.
Perth game tomorrow will be huge.

Reply #619942 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wouldn't say Carter threw his toys because he was benched. He was disappointed in himself because he was struggling offensively and couldn't help his team.

He didn't isolate himself, he contributed to the huddle and supported the team down the stretch.

He's probably better as a spot up shooter or in the post as opposed to trying his own shot off the dribble. When Abercrombie comes back I'd expect Carter to assume that position and keep up momentum with the 2nd unit.

Reply #619946 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

You're probably right Anon. Abercrombie will make a difference.
Carter just seemed so casual and careless handling the ball. Fortunately we had a healthy buffer and it did not matter.

Reply #619952 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:35 am, Sat 20 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754