LV
Years ago

Bullets vs United, Saturday 21 Jan

Beware the wounded Bull. (ets).

The Bullets are fighting for pride, after copping a 33 point caning against arch online rival Joey "Social Media" Wright and the 36ers. Beal went scoreless and hasn't done a thing lately...which means he’s due to drop 30 against United.

Injuries or not, if Craig and Beal show up on the same night this team can still beat anyone.

I’d rather United lose, which will keep us in 4th spot and in the running for a semi final matchup with the 36ers ;-). Winning puts us in too much danger of challenging for 3rd or even 2nd position...

So, I’ll tip Brisbane by 3.

Topic #40699 | Report this topic

Em  
Years ago

You are a United fan - and hope they lose??

I definitely hope THEY WIN - they are in a tight battle just to get to play finals and can't afford to drop this one.

They only have 2 home games left - vs Hawks & Wildcats

And away games to Bullets, Kings, Perth and an in-form Breakers.

I don't think you should be thinking about finals position just yet - they are not even assured of making the finals

GO UNITED !!

Reply #619653 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Surely United win this easily.

Melb by 12

Reply #619656 | Report this post

Brunson  
Years ago

If Bullets stick around for 3 quarters and then United beat them by only 27 then I think United are no chance to win the title this season ;)

Reply #619716 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

Bullets need Dolla Beal to turn up and hit 40!

Reply #619720 | Report this post

Bill on the ball  
Years ago

Let's be realistic. Bullets need to rebuild next year.....this year is a learning one.

United to win by 8+.

Reply #619919 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Brisbane have to play perfect game, United have to be awful just for Brisbane to have any chance. Not going to happen.
Kickert, Beal and Craig have to get 20 each. Kickert will get his, Craig 50/50 but Beal is a long shot.
It is getting to the embarrassing stage for Brisbane.

Reply #619967 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melb to lose and not even make the playoffs LV.

Listen to you hoping for a Sixers semi. You're delirious if you think united can match it with the top 3 teams. Worry about getting to the playoffs before talking which opponent you'd like to play.

Reply #619969 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Bullets were always going to be terrible and I had them written off from the start of the season. They picked the wrong balance, too many forwards and completely unreliable guards. I hope they get spanked in every single game from now on as a lesson not to put every single mobile powerforward in the league on one team and expect that somehow that would fill all of the other gaps left wanting.

Reply #619972 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Make that Kickert, Kendle and Craig have to get 20 each for Brisbane to be in the game.
Maybe possible with Beal not required.

Reply #619985 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbs price is dropping with the bookies. Into $1.50 at WillHill, can still get $1.65 at sportsbet if interested before it goes down.

Reply #619993 | Report this post

Bill on the ball  
Years ago

I had mine on at $1.60

Reply #620002 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I took United -2.5 now line out to 4.5 but surely they winnby double digits. Too much offense for what Brisbane right now can handle. Again feel for the bullets but got to take $ advantage of the wounded beast.

Reply #620008 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I got on United @1.65, also have them as the last leg in a couple of multis. In for a big pay day if they win this one

Reply #620010 | Report this post

Kyrie2Nation  
Years ago

Brisbane's bench makes me want to vomit. One of the worst I have ever seen.

Reply #620042 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Kendle looks alright with the opportunity to start.

Reply #620048 | Report this post

Brunson  
Years ago

Bullets playing like they have nothing to lose and putting up a great fight so far. They look better without Beal

Reply #620050 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Adelaide lost to Hawks by 34 on a Friday night
On Sunday beat Melbourne by 8

Adelaide defeated Hawks by 32 on a Thursday night
On Saturday Hawks defeated Melbourne by 18.

Could Brisbane repeat the dose there going pretty good so far.

Reply #620052 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Kendle looks miles better than Bruce.

Reply #620053 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melb trying to live and die by the 3 too much

Reply #620054 | Report this post

Mike  
Years ago

'Melb trying to live and die by the 3 too much'

WHAT YEAR IS IT.gif

Reply #620055 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They made something like 4/5 threes to start the game, now 5/21 overall for the game

Reply #620056 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Goulding shot selection and defense costing Melbourne

Reply #620057 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

As skilful as Goulding is, he takes some rubbish shots. It's a difficult one because whilst he can make those ones, they're still really poor shots. (I.e really deep 3's; fade away J's).

I still reckon he could expand on/better utilise his mid-range game..especially considering he can get to that midrange area comfortably with his handle.

Reply #620058 | Report this post

Kyrie2Nation  
Years ago

Wow there goes my United 11+ bet. What a joke. Garbage performance so far from United.

Reply #620059 | Report this post

Brunson  
Years ago

Kyrie2Nation you said in another thread that you thought Brisbane would be worse without Beal but Beal is dead wood.

It is a learning lesson for a lot of people. As I've said before it can be extremely difficult playing against a team that has lost players.

Reply #620061 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think Melbourne can still win this easily, they just need to pick better shots like they did at the start

Reply #620062 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne ain't winning this one. Not hungry enough

Reply #620064 | Report this post

Kyrie2Nation  
Years ago

@Brunson don't remember saying anything like that?

Reply #620065 | Report this post

Brunson  
Years ago

@Kyrie2Nation "My Multi with United 11+ likes this." Regarding the sacking of Beal. I am going to lose money on this game also but was just making the point that Brisbane made a smart move.

Reply #620066 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Goulding surely can create better shots than what he is settling for

Reply #620067 | Report this post

AC  
Years ago

WHAT is DD thinking having Tomlinson out there to close the 3rd. Absolute trash.

Reply #620069 | Report this post

DaHuzyBru  
Years ago

Kendle is a gun

Reply #620070 | Report this post

AC  
Years ago

Kromah has so far been woeful for Melbourne in his first two outings.

Reply #620076 | Report this post

DaHuzyBru  
Years ago

solid close out by the Bullets

Reply #620077 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne kept getting it to around that 6-7 point margin with possession and a chance to turn it into only a 4-5 point lead, but every single time chucked up a bad shot then Brisbane scored an easy basket down the other end to bring it back to 8-9. Happened so many times in that final quarter.

Reply #620079 | Report this post

DaHuzyBru  
Years ago

and... ol' mate Wang Tong makes his NBL debut :P

Reply #620080 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Yes!!

Reply #620081 | Report this post

Zodiac  
Years ago

Melbourne now the team to beat.

Reply #620082 | Report this post

Bill on the ball  
Years ago

Just shows Goulding is not a winner if h is shooting is bad.

Nope Melbourne does not figure in the finals.

Reply #620083 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

what.. the... f..

Reply #620084 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne looked like they were going to have a big win early on with good ball movement and shot selection. I don't understand Goulding..when he is aggressive he gets to the line and finds teammates. But instead settles for holding the ball and jab faking before launching up contested deep threes. Taking the air out of the ball. At least ware realised his shot wasn't falling and started to attack.

Reply #620086 | Report this post

AngusH  
Years ago

Today's game just makes me scratch my head even more as to why the Kings didn't go after Kendle... does not look out of place at all at this level.

Reply #620087 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All United imports are useless except for Casper, might be time to give DD the shove and get someone into see if they can save the season. For all his haters I'd get Shane heal.

Reply #620088 | Report this post

LV  
Years ago

Not a totally unexpected result. A Lemanis coached team was unlikely to be blown out again off the back of a 33 point loss, regardless of who was suiting up. I'd say Beal's departure galvanised them too.

The Bullets D was well planned and well executed, United's shots weren't falling, and Brisbane's extra little bit of desperation helped too.

This season continues to get more intriguing.

Reply #620089 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Melbourne are a joke. Waste of all that talent. If Sydney and Perth get their act together they will probably miss the playoffs.

Reply #620091 | Report this post

Gamephasis  
Years ago

If Melbourne had a coach that they believed in this would have been a different story. I'm not sure I've ever seen a coach more tuned out than Demopolous.

Reply #620121 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gee whiz, massive result. Did Melbourne let their guard down against a Bullets team already looking to next year?

Reply #620130 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A very good TEAM like the Taipans should make it because you know they will play the right way.Hopefully the Melbourne individuals miss the playoffs

Reply #620131 | Report this post

Bill on the ball  
Years ago

Any team that lives by 3-pt strategy will die by that strategy. Kings and United both live by that strategy.

Wildcats have that tendency.

Reply #620148 | Report this post

Kyrie2Nation  
Years ago

Goulding was horrendous. Love seeing him throw brick after brick.

Reply #620176 | Report this post

Kyrie2Nation  
Years ago

In saying that he was United's second best player on the night. Daylight after Ware mind you but the rest of the United team was crap all game.

Reply #620178 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Any team that lives by 3-pt strategy will die by that strategy. Kings and United both live by that strategy.

Wildcats have that tendency.
When have the Wildcats ever lived by the three?

Reply #620190 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

I don't put it all down to DD.

MU simply don't have enough guys who genuinely want to win. There is some selfish players in that team.

Goulding reminds of of the Carmelo of the league.

As much as I hate/d the likes of Hire, Wagstaff, Knight (though not as much) and Robbins (when he was there), those guys are selfless and genuinely want to win. Its no coincidence thatbl Perth have been so succesful with those types of players.

On another note - Will Te Rangi even be in the league next year? (Did he sign a 2year deal?). NZ won't want/don"t need him back with Avercrombie, Delaney and Rusbatch. Dude has literally forgotten how to basketball.

Reply #620200 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

United are pure trash.

Appear to lack heart and soul.
DD out!! :P

Reply #620208 | Report this post

Tornado  
Years ago

Macdub...your comparison of Goulding is spot on imo. As for Te Rangi...I never thought he was much chop and it doesn't surprise me that he has faded when the league has improved.

Reply #620212 | Report this post

Tom  
Years ago

Amazing game. Right from the tip off the game plans were set. Brisbane relied on defense esp focusing on Ware, Goulding (as best they could), and their two stars Kickert (always high %) and Craig (getting taking and making good shots) offensively. Melbourne were sloppy out of the gate and relied on the brilliance of individual talents Ware (could not do any more) and Goulding (degree of amazement and wonder, but as stated unorthodox). The usually reliable Wesley's array of low post plays dried up and Melbourne could not seem to get anyone else involved offensively.
Transition points went to Brisbane because they played better D and created more opportunities. The better team on the night was Brisbane.
Contrast that with Adelaide and Sydney. Same scenario. BUT ADELAIDE came from behind, played the D, got everyone involved offensively, etc. etc.
They left their Beal decision till it was too late to help with this season.

Reply #620221 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

"Macdub...your comparison of Goulding is spot on imo. As for Te Rangi...I never thought he was much chop and it doesn't surprise me that he has faded when the league has improved."

This year is probably the best he has played in the NBL since his debut season, not that there's a lot of stiff competition there.

I imagine Lemanis will have him back given some of the praise he's had for him post-game at times throughout the season and the fact he's one of the youngest players in the league.

Reply #620222 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Te Rangi just needs to play with more confidence. It appears he has the physical tools to be a rotation player in this league.

Reply #620241 | Report this post

BVL  
Years ago

Is it just me or was Goulding's body language towards DD questionable.

At the 3 min mark time out DD called for a big pick and roll for Casper. Goulding got up mid sentence and went to walk off and DD had to pull him back into the huddle.

Not great from your leader. If your having a poor shooting game try and be an influence elsewhere, and if your not hitting shots dont expect every play call down the line.

On another note, I just wonder at this level whether a jump shooting team can go deep into the finals? MU relies on getting hot to win. The only team in the world that can do it is the GSW and even they may not win the championship over Cleveland.

Just hope Anderson can give them something inside if/ when he comes back.

Reply #620256 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

DD's body language tells me that Goulding controls their relationship.
I've never yet seen DD taking the tough line with CG43, even when he's being a prat or having brain explosions.

Reply #620263 | Report this post

Brunson  
Years ago

Goulding still up at 12:30-1AM watching the Perth game and Twittering afterwards showed his focus for the Brisbane game.

So LV a game like that is expected when United are playing an under manned team but when the Sixers play an under manned team it shows they are no chance for the title..... Hopefully you have now learned playing a team like that bring's unique challenges and under performing is not a surprise.

Also Kromah looks bad. Moore was excellent at coming in and being effective, United don't have that anymore. Barlow's athleticism looks gone. Andersen will be their last chance.

Reply #620265 | Report this post

Bill on the ball  
Years ago

For the money they pay Goulding, they are not getting the returns. Goulding doesn't have the class of a Kirk Penny.

When a player hogs the ball with useless three's, he takes up opportunities of the team. And the coach can't do too much to contain them as they are meant to shoot the daylights out.

A team player like Mitch Creek, who is more of a team player and shoots responsibly is better for team cohesion.

Cotton and Martin would be good too. Randle doesn't spray as much this year..he is doing the right thing by setting up the team first and then only starts his three's play at the end. In other words, he gives the team a go first before he goes 'crazy' for his own glory. That should be the way. Cotton does that well too. Dillard also practices that.

Reply #620289 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Goulding shot at a better clip than Ware but it's all his fault for shooting crap shots?

Pretty harsh IMO considering he is still clearly hampered both by his ankle issue and having a coach who has no idea.

Basketball is a pretty simple game, move the ball through hands and exploit where the defence isn't. Get the ball inside and if the defence collapses then things open up for outside shots and vice versa. A playbook totally reliant on 'get it to Chris or Casper and let them create' doesn't bode well for long term success

Reply #620297 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^difference is goulding took dumb shots and not within the flow of the game. One possession he lost his dribble got it back and continued to dribble around until he shot an off balance defended three. Not even one pass.

Reply #620343 | Report this post

BVL  
Years ago

I feel Anderson coming back in will make a massive difference. It will then allow them to go inside out. Right now Wesley is there only low post option, when hes not firing you just have to defend the perimeter.

Maybe moving Barlow and/ or Blanchfield next year to get a 3 that can play inside out (Mitch Creek? as Bill said).

I like Todd's game but it doesn't help when he just stands in the corner on offence.

Will be a tough one in Perth next week, we don't seem to be travelling well ATM. MU need a big scalp if if they are serious about finals...

Reply #620351 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:51 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754