Dazz
Years ago

McKay vs Jawai

Is there anybody out there who can explain Gleeson's tactics to me???
This is what we know, going into the game:
1) No way can McKay hold Jawai defensively.
2) Mckay sometimes give s away soft fouls early, gets benched, then struggles to assert himself.
3) If he doesn't get into trouble early, he can use his speed and leap to advantage, builds confidence, and have a night out.
4) Jawai will tire as the game progresses.

So WTF does Trev Do? Puts McKay on Jawai from the start, waits till Jawai sits down then immediately benches McKay.
Even after Brandt has proven better at guarding Jawai, he persist with the match-up until McKay completely loses his shit.
But once Jawi fouls out, he leaves the league's best rebounder sitting on the bench.

I'm not bashing Gleeson for the sake of it, I'd just like somebody to explain his strategy.

Nor am I bashing McKay. Both he and Jawai have limitations, the trick is in how to best use their strengths. Trev used Jawai well last season, and Fearne also does a good job.

Topic #40704 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

oh hoorah another post that should have gone in the existing game thread but Mr 'my thoughts are more special than everyone elses' feels the need to start yet another one.

Reply #619893 | Report this post

BOL  
Years ago

Ive struggled to understand gleesons substitutions all year. Last game Brandt was having a dominant first half then saw hardly any court time in the 3rd and 4th. Having McKay in foul trouble tonight meant gleeson had no choice but to leave Brandt on the floor and he showed what he can do against big nate.

Reply #619911 | Report this post

BOL  
Years ago

Why wouldn't he put Kernich-Drew on the floor for the final play with 2 seconds on the clock needing a score?

Reply #619914 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah I thought it would've been more sensible to play Brandt on jawai from the get go. Maybe the plan WA for McKay to be energetic and wear him out early. Wasn't very effective though besides the one transition dunk

Reply #619917 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm so sick of this pest Dazz. Go away.

Reply #619929 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

oh hoorah another post that should have gone in the existing game thread but Mr 'my thoughts are more special than everyone elses' feels the need to start yet another one.
I wouldn't normally think my thoughts are better than anyone else's, but then I come across brain-dead turds like you and I start to wonder.
After reading your pureile post, I feel like just picking my nose and wiping it on the screen would be an improvement.
I'm so sick of this pest Dazz. Go away.
See kids, this is why you need to say no to drugs.
People have the choice of opening a thread or not. (In fact if they don't want to read my posts, I'm doing them a favour by presenting it separately.)
But to expend even further time and effort writing a post just to complain about me, clearly indicates that something in their head is fucked up.

Reply #619935 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Yeah I thought it would've been more sensible to play Brandt on jawai from the get go. Maybe the plan WA for McKay to be energetic and wear him out early. Wasn't very effective though besides the one transition dunk

Yeah, I can almost understand Trev persisting with his best 5 to start, but either starting Brandt or at least having Knight take Jawai would have made more sense.
Then why bench McKay as soon as Jawai sat down? He should have pushed the opportunity to let McKay run amok whilst Jawai was sitting down.

Reply #619936 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dazz you use the don't do drugs line way too often. lets start a thread on dazzerisms.

Reply #619939 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dazz do you only have the one shirt or do you save your special one for the finals?

Reply #619961 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"Then why bench McKay as soon as Jawai sat down? He should have pushed the opportunity to let McKay run amok whilst Jawai was sitting down."

Because by that time it was McKay's time for a sub as well based on usual substitution patterns.

It's not like McKay automatically dominates any big man other than Jawai and you have to give Brandt a chance to get into the game. Good thing too, because he was fantastic!

Reply #619965 | Report this post

Maxymoo  
Years ago

Dazz couldn't agree more, it was baffling.

Even if he went with it early, 2 mins in it was clear that wasn't going to fly.

Reply #620003 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

It was a weird choice, I'm not sure what Gleeson was thinking. Surely Brandt shows his inside game and strength during training enough for Gleeson to put 2 and 2 together. Hopefully his performance against Cairns is enough to get starts against bigger opponents in future games.

I personally think that Brandt should start in the rest of Perth's games. No disrespect to McKay at all but he would be a great energy player coming off the bench and still play 20+ minutes.

Reply #620014 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes train brandt should start, but over Knight

Reply #620018 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Well this is going to be the big question again.
Assuming Fearne goes with his usual line-up, If Trev starts McKay on Jawai, not only will I lose my shit. I may start to believe some of the crazier alfoil-hat conspiracies.

With Knight out, Brandt has to start.
Keep McKay on the bench, till Jawai has a rest maybe as that's usually early. Bring McKay on when hopefully he can have an impact quickly, get his confidence flowing, then take it from there.
Obviously they'll match up at some point, but I would rather see it delayed.

Defensively, McKay is clearly better when he can use his leap and speed to block or at least intimidate the shooter. Jawai does most of his work in close, where the only way to stop him is with a big body. Brandt is the best we've got.

Reply #622508 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

start mckay and use his quickness to draw some quick fouls on nate, then bring on angus to pound the snakes

Reply #622513 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

You just can't start McKay on Jawai, he doesn't have the strength and he doesn't have the skills down low in the post offensively. I wouldn't mind seeing Brandt get the start.

Also wouldn't mind seeing Redhage start against Worthington for old time sake :P

Reply #622516 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Well Shit.
I guess Jameel won't be back next year.

Has there been a worse utilized player this season?

Maybe the rumours about him not being Gleeson's choice are true?

Reply #622797 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So why post the topic if you already agree?

Reply #622896 | Report this post

Train  
Years ago

I don't think McKay has the most intelligent basketball IQ. Even when he is under the basket and going up for a shot he doesn't protect the ball.

Reply #622900 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

I still think its weird the way McKay is used.

I kinda like that Trev was willing to start Brandt, but I thought tonight was a strange game to do it, and the matchups still weren't quite right.

Maric is one big dude, but they Whittington in the 4, and he was clearly too quick for Knight.
Why not start Brandt or Knight against Maric, and McKay against Whittington?

Still nice to see him get a bit of a run later, and put down some dunks, hopefully it gives him a shot of confidence.

Reply #624052 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Gleeson did a similar thing against Melbourne, starting Knight against Barlow. Now if it were Knight at his best fair enough, but he's been a long way off that since his injury in Sydney.

Reply #624074 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

yeah, that was also weird. Knights probably stronger, but in several games he has clearly been hampered, and guys like Barlow and White are just too quick.

Reply #624149 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

And here we are again.
How poetic that the season comes down to this.

Trev has secured the streak. Can he now pull his head out far enough to use McKay effectively???

Jawai averages 20 minutes a game, McKay 22.5. They barely need to be on the floor together.

Perth have a significantly superior backcourt. If they can stop the Cairns giants dominating inside, then we're in with a good chance.

Have a look at how McKay ran out the game against MU. That's what we need to see. Let Knight, Brandt, and Hire grind down the Cairns frontcourt for a while.

Reply #625581 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:03 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754