Anonymous
Years ago

Mark Worthington announces retirement

Just then on FOX Sports.

Well played.

Topic #40714 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great career wortho due respect, good luck, hope cairns can get a semi spot for you.

Reply #620319 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

Disliked by opposition fans, but respected by the opposition players and a great player to have as a team mate and had never been a coaches' problem child.

Usually if he's in your team, then your team is likely to still be in the game deep into the last quarter.

Rookie of the year, NBL ring, played pro in Europe, dual Olympian, a big career well deserved.

Reply #620321 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

Very good player over a long period of time.
Although already I have seen the words "superstar" and "legend" used to describe him, which is a little rich IMO.

Reply #620322 | Report this post

Dazz  
Years ago

Immediate? or at the end of season?

Reply #620342 | Report this post

Kyrie2Nation  
Years ago

End of season.

Well played Wortho.

Reply #620344 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

+1

Well played wortho.
I remembering him guarding Kobe in London.
Awesome competitor.

Reply #620483 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

He was a hard working bit player who filled a role when the Boomers really needed it. Versatile, understated, probably a bit of a poor man's Vlahov. He will be remembered favorably in Australian basketball circles, but I'd stop well short of calling him a legend.

Reply #620487 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No where near the player Andrew Vlahov was in his prime.

Reply #620490 | Report this post

SteveK2  
Years ago

Not even close to being a legend of the NBL. In most cases, you have to put a team on your back and carry them to the promised land. Moving from team to team gave the impression of hoping to freeload on championship.

Smart player with good fundamentals but never lived up to his full potential, just a shade better than Aaron Trahair.

Reply #620499 | Report this post

WTF !!  
Years ago

But Aaron Trahair IS a legend !!

"a nonhistorical or unverifiable story handed down by tradition from earlier times and popularly accepted as historical. "

Reply #620542 | Report this post

ME (he/kangaroo)  
Years ago

Oh I am not saying he is anywhere near as good as Andrew Vlahov. I think Vlahov is one of the top 10 best players we've ever produced. But Worthington was kind of the one who gave us at least some of the inside grunt and versatility that Vlahov did despite being undersized. Wortho could run the floor, drain the three ball, and defend a bit in the post in a way that Vlahov could. Worthington really came in at the right time to give himself a shot at establishing himself in the NBL and as a Boomer. He filled a hole that was left, and the fact is if we were playing with the talent we have now but back in 2005 when Worthington came onto the scene, he probably would never have got a sniff at the national team.

Either way, his service to Australian basketball will be remembered and appreciated. He played for Australia for 10 years, and you don't generally get to do that without doing something right on and off the court.

Reply #620565 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

Good player and a good guy. Says a lot about him that despite being a pain in the arse on court he's still well-loved by players across the league.

If he wasn't a lock for Taipans mvp before he definitely is now..

Reply #620573 | Report this post

greybuoy  
Years ago

Idle speculation, but...
Geordie has been FIFO coaching with Cairns these last 2 seasons, is old enough to call it quits gracefully, retires at end of season.
And MW becomes newest assistant coach!
He's already done an internship with the Dolphins (did a reasonable job, I've heard).
Sorted.

Reply #620649 | Report this post

CT  
Years ago

Greybuoy, I love that rumour. Give him a few years and wortho is going to be a great coach somewhere. I've noticed too that he's also spent the games he's sat out with a clipboard in his hands a lot of the time, so unless he's going through some travel brochures or doing a crossword it looks like he might have something planned.

Or maybe it's all a massive fake out and he's going to mysteriously unretire so he can fight Paul Gallen or something.

Reply #620717 | Report this post

Kingpodge  
Years ago

hahaha I'd pay good money for that fight.

Reply #620723 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:35 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754