Anonymous
Years ago

Referees drop the ball

Cats vs Breakers.

The refs absolutely dropped the ball here, forgetting the inconsistency of what contact constitutes a foul and doesn't, they simply missed the easy ones.

The shot clock violation on NZ

The Goaltend on Damian Martin's layup

The unsportsmanlike when both players were clearly holding

If you don't agree then take the NZ commentary teams identiication that the opposition is getting a raw deal

Topic #40715 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Don't forget the tech foul on Dillard.

Reply #620471 | Report this post

ROFLcopter  
Years ago

The NBL refs are shocking as a whole.

Easily the most unprofessional aspect of the league. It will be fixed. LK won't stand for it.

Reply #620479 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When the NZ callers are saying the refs are helping the Breakers then you know it is bad.

Reply #620485 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

The best way to avoid refs interfering in close games is to not let the game get close in the first place...

Reply #620488 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

I think the NBL just needs to be able to have direction, clarity and explanation so we know what they're wanting to achieve and it's easier to then hold the refs to those standards and be able to provide criticism

Reply #620489 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Such a weak thread. Pathetic, take it on the chin both teams were shite, nz simply shot better when it mattered deal with it. Were you disgusted when cotton was given 3 free throws off a phantom call???!!!

Reply #620492 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And NZ needed to take care of the ball better. What is your point?

Thread is about referees missing a shot clock violation, a goal tend and a double dribble.

Yet here you are bringing up a play from another game? Which as a ref, hip check a 3pt shooter on a game tying shot is not smart, soft yes, but Gliddon gave the ref a chance to call it.

The difference is the shot clock violation, the goal tend and that double dribble weren't 50/50 or 95/5 choose your percentage calls, they were blatant simple rules, no interpretation required, just a little air blown through a piece of plastic.

And frankly yes I am disgusted every game, the Cairns Hawks game had some absolute howlers, did they decide the game, not so much. This game, the howlers all went one way and yes one could say they decided the game.

Reply #620504 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

How Tim Mills is still employed is utterly beyond me. In the five years since that awful Jamar Wilson charge call, he still hasn't learned that games take place in 3D, and then he turns around two days later and techs Dillard for no reason before handing the game to the Breakers.

Reply #620510 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Even as a cats fan I didn't like the Dillard T, It's not under 10's, let a player show some emotion out there! Having said that if he dropped an F bomb as loud as it looked he was shouting then he's probably getting one.

Reply #620512 | Report this post

Benno  
Years ago

Maybe bring some Import refs over from the states??

Reply #620523 | Report this post

Brunson  
Years ago

"Such a weak thread." Come on it is expected after Perth lose a game that a separate thread must be created about poor refereeing or crowd funding to buy new referees. However if Perth get the favoured calls don't expect the threads.

Reply #620524 | Report this post

Manu Fieldel  
Years ago

Don't act as though the Sky Sport commentators are biased. They're great, those two.

Reply #620527 | Report this post

Luuuc  
Years ago

I agree that this is a bit of a weak thread given what has inspired it.
If we're picking on calls from today I agree that the Dillard one was unnecessary. I really don't get the refs' mindset on that. Why do they care about a player who is frustrated at himself with no impact on the game or on any person, yet they're prepared to put up with a flog on the sideline having a go at them all game and wandering onto the court. The respective tolerance levels just don't compute to me.

Reply #620535 | Report this post

Green 53  
Years ago

When you go from watching nba to nbl you realise just how terrible the umpiring is. No consistency and they try to be a part of the game instead of letting the players play. Something needs to be done as a whole because employing the 2 full time refs hasn't worked. Both of them have been below par and the confidence they have in the terrible calls rubs off and the others start making the same calls.

Reply #620543 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

I'm wondering if the lack of consistency has something to do with how the 3 ref mechanics are taught/ran in this country.

I'm seeing a lot of defensive hands and body foul calls being made by the trail ( closest to 1/2 way) official and not by the baseline ( lead) official who ( at least when we see it replayed by a similarly placed baseline camera) has a far better view of a clean block and minimal body contact.

This particularly seems to happen in a left hand drive to the ring from the point or particularly the high 45.

I haven't evaluated any 3 man teams for a very very long while, does anyone actually know if the current mechanics are really really (overly) specific in who is supposed to call in what situation.

I'm thinking that back in the 2 official days there was a lot more subtle conferring and even occasional overruling when something unusual happened and one official had an exceptionally clearer view than the other.

being overruled back in those days was not seen to be a personal offront to the other ref, like it seems to be regarded as now.

Reply #620546 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Handing nz the game? Please explain koberulz. Nz earned it, ugly but earned it.

Reply #620549 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

The USF killed Perth's comeback when they'd got it down to a one possession game.

Reply #620550 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Absolutely. And it was a warranted call. Kenny is the culprit not the refs. Kenny handed that one to the breakers.

Reply #620553 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kenny was being held just as much.

Reply #620556 | Report this post

koberulz  
Years ago

Looked like Kenny was being held more, and first. Seemed to me all the contact Kenny made was an effort to get Dillard off him.

Reply #620559 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Think Dillard was trying to make a clear move to the ball. Kenny held him under the basket in front of the ref and although was very close to the 5 count, the call was absolutely correct. Kenny got caught clearly fouling Dillard. Not as clear cut as when the refs handed Perth the win against cairns with the cotton 'foul'. But yeah we all see what we want to when supporting our teams I guess.

Reply #620562 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The way the league is being refereed this year is making games far less entertaining,

Reply #620571 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How would have known that Kobe. Only by virtue of the replay if even true.
You can't ref via video replay all the time get over it. Kenny committed the idiot play of the year.

Reply #620593 | Report this post

Thunder Jam  
Years ago

A Perth fan complaining after Taipans were robbed.
Suck it up,you got a freeby on Friday night.

Reply #620597 | Report this post

Fundingsland  
Years ago

Never seen a Offensive player deliberately get tangled up on an inbounds play

USF was the correct call Kenny messed up - not the refs

Reply #620602 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Guys koberulz knows best. Don't wake the snake hsssss!

Reply #620613 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The simple nature of the calls was the reason for a thread. It is inexcusable. The teams playing don't change the type of call missed. Get over your Perth hate.

The question you need to ask yourself is, will you be happy with the same calls getting missed in the playoffs when Perth is not there? Because if it is a problem then we know you are well and truly blinded by your bias now

Reply #620718 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:49 pm, Thu 28 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754